Print Thread
Hop To
H
hmt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
If I were to get a 15" Encore pistol barrel and add a 1.5" muzzle break, would that make it a legal rifle barrel???

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
1) The minimum barrel Federally-mandated length for a rifle is 16", with no parts that, if removed would result in a shorter barrel.
So, if the brake is integral with the barrel or welded-on, AND the OAL is 16" or more, the BARREL qualifies as a rifle BARREL.

However,

2) The minumum Federally-mandated OVERALL length for a rifle is 26", with all stock(s) installed, and collapsed, if collapsible/folding.

So, to answer your question "would adding a 1.5" muzzle break to a 15" Encore barrel make it a legal rifle ?":

No, not by simply adding a brake.
The brake must not only be long enough, it must be non-removable; and the barrel cannot be used with an OAL under 26" and still legally be a rifle.

IIRC, the above is a theoretical/moot exercise only, though - since Encore FRAMES are marked at original sale by T/C as either a pistol or a rifle,

and ATF has ruled that rifle barrels cannot be used on the pistol frames,

even with a rifle buttstock installed

- unlike the older Contender design, which was "grandfathered" to be able to do so.

The only legal thing you can do with a 15" Encore barrel, besides mounting/using it on an Encore pistol frame, would be to weld on a barrel extension (the brake) and mount it on an Encore rifle frame.

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
H
hmt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Thanks! I suspected it needed to be a permanent addition ...

I have a line on a really inexpensive 15" barrel and wanted to make sure it was worth it to add a permanent brake to make it a qualifying rifle barrel for the Encore rifle I already have ...

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I had a .223 with a permanant brake and it was an ear-buster. I shot it at a range one day, outdoors but with a shed over the firing line. It was so loud it actually set off a car alarm in a vehicle parked behind me. You could feel the shock hitting your face as you shot. But there was just about zero recoil.

Man! Never again.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Rangr44
1)...and ATF has ruled that rifle barrels cannot be used on the pistol frames, even with a rifle buttstock installed - unlike the older Contender design, which was "grandfathered" to be able to do so.

I believe you are quite mistaken. Without doing some pricey paperwork, you can't legally put a barrel less than 16 inches in length on a frame with a rifle buttstock. There is nothing to prohibit you from putting a rifle barrel and buttstock on a pistol frame.

It's true that the BATF did make a bit deal about Contenders years ago and their interpretation of the law was found to be erroneous. Since the BATF didn't "grandfather" in sawed off shotguns, etc., I rather doubt any grandfathering was done or needed to be done for Contenders.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Grumulkin
Originally Posted by Rangr44
1)...and ATF has ruled that rifle barrels cannot be used on the pistol frames, even with a rifle buttstock installed - unlike the older Contender design, which was "grandfathered" to be able to do so.

I believe you are quite mistaken.

Yes, quite mistaken !

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Agreed Mistaken.

Goodnight Chesty Puller... Wherever you are.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (Algotguns, 21, 808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, 8 invisible), 1,418 guests, and 743 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,675
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.