Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I just heard yesterday that the PH I was going to use in August had the HUGE misfortune of getting gored! I guess that a client had made a poor shot on a cape and they were following it up in thick brush and it came at them from behind after is circled back on the track.

I HEAR that the skin on his forehead was ground off to the skull as the damned beast skidded him across the ground after slamming him in the back. He took a horn to the thigh that caused a wound that "you could put your fist through". It also threw him after and tore his hamstring loose and, (OH MY GAWD) one horn up the poop shute.

I hope that they have good surgeons there and can save the leg.

This is why I have NO problem with a PH that colaborates on the shot on DG. I'd hate to think that my ego is worth that happening to anybody!

Last edited by Karamojo_Bill; 05/03/09.

Karamojo Bill

When I die, I want to come skidding through the pearly gates & hear God say, "Whoa Boy, That was one hell of a ride"
BP-B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
If a hunter makes a bad shot on a Cape Buffalo, and as a result a PH or tracker gets seriously hurt or killed, is the hunter liable because of his negligence?

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
["If a hunter makes a bad shot on a Cape Buffalo, and as a result a PH or tracker gets seriously hurt or killed, is the hunter liable because of his negligence? "]

Oh, come on. Just say 'no'. Sheesh!

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by Karamojo_Bill
(OH MY GAWD) one horn up the poop shute.

Poor guy! eek

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
....Talk about being on the 'horns of dilemma'!..... Hope the unfortunate fellow comes out of it all in tact, and uncompromised in the future.

IC B2

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Who is the PH?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
damned beast... I don't know how to take that, but all it was doing was trying to protect itself.

I feel for the hunter and mostly the PH though. Thoughts and prayres on that one and best of luck on your trip!

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by rost495
damned beast... I don't know how to take that, but all it was doing was trying to protect itself.

I feel for the hunter and mostly the PH though. Thoughts and prayres on that one and best of luck on your trip!

Jeff

To the mighty belong all things.

I don't pray, but if you talk to the PH let him know we're pulling for him.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Who is the PH?

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
saw a story about this in our local newspaper. who is the ph?

I might hunt too much, but it is still not enough!
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thas sad,I wish them the best!!!

K
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Fellows, I'm wating for more information as I got this second or third hand. AS SOON as I can confirm the details I will post it. Until then I am not going to post his name.

Karamojo Bill

When I die, I want to come skidding through the pearly gates & hear God say, "Whoa Boy, That was one hell of a ride"
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
And this is why it's called Dangerous Game. Dang... I hope he pulls through okay.

I think I just upgraded my "dream rifle" for my "dream hunt" to Africa!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by GuyM
And this is why it's called Dangerous Game. Dang... I hope he pulls through okay.

I think I just upgraded my "dream rifle" for my "dream hunt" to Africa!

Make sure you can shoot a crow with that "dream rifle".... Shoot deer, shoot paper, and shoot small rocks with it... Just shoot the thing...

John
=
Waterfowler at hart along with my late Baydog 9/26/20 ..
=
=
Striving to be turdlike.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
That's what I'm doing. Shooting prairie dogs, elk, deer, black bear, antelope, cans and DWJs (Dangerous Water Jugs), making my 500 Jeffery my only hunting rifle. So when I go to Alaska and then Africa I'm good with it.

Best of luck on that dream hunt,

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
That's what I'm doing. Shooting prairie dogs, elk, deer, black bear, antelope, cans and DWJs (Dangerous Water Jugs), making my 500 Jeffery my only hunting rifle. So when I go to Alaska and then Africa I'm good with it.

Best of luck on that dream hunt,

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
May God Have Mercy on your PH.

Originally Posted by Karamojo_Bill

I HEAR that the skin on his forehead was ground off to the skull.

WOW! (shudder)

BMT

Last edited by BMT; 05/05/09.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well loosing a leg will be the least of his problem, infection is going to be the thing that kills him, that is if they don't get a handle on it. They don't call it Dangerous Game for nothing.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

K
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
From Jerome of AH:

I have finally been in contact with my friend Charl Watts in South Africa of Steyn Caracal Safaris, who confirmed the rumor that his brother, Gideon Watts had been severely injured in an incident that occurred while hunting Cape Buffalo in South Africa.

Gideon, although a PH himself, was on the hunt not as the guiding PH, the client wounded the Buffalo and they were tracking it. The Buffalo first attacked the PH guiding the hunt (his name has not been given to me) while in a dense area, he was gored suffering wounds in both buttocks and has several broken ribs. While the Buffalo was on top of the PH, Gideon shot the Buffalo in the head, however he missed the brain. The Buffalo then turned on Gideon and attacked him, goring him several times (fist sized holes) in the front thighs, hamstring and just missing the arteries. The PH finally shot and killed the raging Buffalo while he was still attacking Gideon.

Both PHs are being treated for infection with strong antibiotics, but will be fine and are recuperating which will take several months... Surprisingly both of them are now out of the hospital already, as this incident took place only a week and a half ago, just a testament to how tough these guys are. There had been some concerns about Gideons' leg, though doctors now seem to feel that it will heal completely which is incredibly good news as I am sure he will be back in the bush hunting as soon as he is able.

I will say from personal observation that African PHs, especially those born and raised in Africa are shockingly resilient and almost superhuman in the way that can respond to and recover from bodily harm, whether from outside forces or self inflicted...

Our thoughts and prayers are with them.

Karamojo Bill

K
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
This is just like Gideon...putting himself in harms way to save another! I chose him because he has pulled NOT one, but TWO leopards that were making people into mince meat off...... and killed the leopards with his knife!

Karamojo Bill

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
159 members (257 mag, 2UP, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 13 invisible), 1,471 guests, and 829 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,590
Posts18,397,904
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.