Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
Been thinking about another handgun. Thinking 45 Long Colt. Thinking about Single Action. Thinking 5-1/2" bbl.

Pros?

Cons?

Input from you that have some experience would be appreciated.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In the accuracy department, it's a wash. In the fit and finish department, it's easily the Uberti (one piece walnut grips, nicer bluing, nicer case hardening and much better triggers). In the durability and overall ease of use, it's the Ruger hands down.

If you want that Colt's experience, then you go with the Uberti; but understand, the Colt SAA is a somewhat fragile design. Shoot it a lot, and you'll be replacing parts (but they're very easy to change).

If you want most of the Colt's experience, but don't want to ever have to turn a screw on the gun, then it's the Ruger.

I always had a preference for the Uberti, but I have managed to essentially wear one out after 15 years. I would still buy another one; they're very good revolvers for a very good price.

If I ever found myself competing in Cowboy Action again, I would choose the Ruger in a New York Minute!

T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
Prices seem to be pretty similar for them here in Canada within 50 bucks or so. Probably won't shoot it too much, but I do like quality stuff, so maybe the Uberti gets the nod. Appreciate your response, sir.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Shootist

Kevin gave it to you straight. You can wear out an Uberti, particularly if you do a lot of speed work with them, rapid cocking and whatnot. However, if you are simply pulling back the hammer and shooting the gun, unless you're shooting really stout loads, you might be surprised at their longevity.

The most fragile springs on these guns are the mainspring and the trigger return/bolt stop springs. I've had to replace one of each, but the gun has been mine for well over 12 years and it's been fired a couple thousand times and and/or cycled thousands more.

The "New" Vaquero is pretty close in weight/dimensions to the original Colt, so one can somewhat get the flavor of the original SAA with this weapon. The "Old" Vaquero is simply an altered Blackhawk and does not "feel" like the classic SAA.

I have both styles and wouldn't want to give up either...but if I could only have one, I'd probably opt for the Ruger for durability as well.

You can depend on Kevin's advice, regardless the gun.

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
You can depend on Kevin's advice, regardless the gun.

Dan

That's a fine compliment sir, thanks.

I'll respond by saying I've never caught Dan in the act of giving bad advice either; ole boy knows his guns.

IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
Thanks to both of you. Are they accurate?

Brother Keith

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
well kevin gave you great info as far as accuracy i've shot the ruger and it was good for that style sight.I can't say good or bad about the uberti being never fired one

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
[Linked Image]

This group was fired with the style of weapon the Uberti represents. It was not an Uberti, but it is an Italian repro sold by Cimarron. It's .44 special and the group was fired at only 10 yards, but it was fired one-handed so it all balances out.

As for intrinsic "precision," they will both have it, but the shooter is what makes them "accurate."

Their "accuracy" depends on load development, shooting skill and whatever tweaking may be necessary to pull the group from where ever it is striking, to the bullseye. Sometime this takes little effort. Sometimes, it becomes a real chore. Some people never get the hang of it.

It's far easier to buy a Blackhawk with adjustable sights to settle down and center a group. But the balance will be different.

Dan

Last edited by Dan_Chamberlain; 05/10/09.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Get the Ruger, it is one tough gun. The Uberti's are good but will need 'smithing eventually.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I owned a Mitchel Army Model made by Uberti and loved it. It had the feel of a Colt grip, an excellent trigger and came with a spare 45 ACP cylinder. Mine had a brass frame and a reddish wood grip that set it off nicely.

The Uberti had the advantage that I could load cut-down .410 shells in it for shot loads. Trimmed to cylinder length, they held 1/3 ounce of #9 shot and were both fun and practical. The shotshell rims would not fit into my Blackhawk.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
I'm not new to handguns . . . been shooting them for near forty years, so I am aware of the skills necessary to develop the accuracy of the shooter. Was just wondering what the consistency was like from both. I've had pistols that would group and others that would pattern. Only accurate firearms interest me.

I guess I should have said, "If I do my part . . . " wink

Brother Keith

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've never "owned" a quality handgun that wouldn't "group" superbly given the "right" load and the "right" hand. The "left" hand is another matter.

[Linked Image]

This was the left hand

Dan

Last edited by Dan_Chamberlain; 05/10/09.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Keith, I think it depends on what you want out of it. I have owned both. They are both accurate, dependable sidearms. Both will break if abused. If you want a gun that is a Colt clone and is very close to the real McCoy for reenactments or cowboy action shooting, the Uberti is the way to go. The New Vaquero looks very similar to a Colt, but is not a clone. It is probably nominally more rugged than the Uberti, but not a lot. The original Vaquero is a substantial gun. It looks less like an original Colt than the New Vaquero does, but it can be shot with the same loads as a Blackhawk. The New Vaquero and Uberti are not capable of the "Ruger or Thompson-Center Only" loads that the old model Vaquero is capable of.

If I wanted something that was rugged and could shoot heavy loads, I'd get an old Vaquero. The New Vaquero is between the two and IMO doesn't have much going for it-although it is a fine gun in its own right.

T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
Appreciate all the input. Just dreaming for now. The tax man was kind to me this year, so I might can afford a new chunk of iron.

Brother Keith

Z
zeN Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
I have an Uberti in 45LC which is the sweetest pistol in the hand I own, I like it so much, points so well I considered adapting my shooting style to carry it for self-defense (however common sense ruled the day), a very beautiful pistol, also the 45 LC is a first rate pistol cartridge, especially reloaded, which is underated for the
power it produces.
I have a Ruger in 44 mag for contentious critters, the 44 being as heavy a pistol rd I care to take and you can beat deserving victims all day with the Ruger and it still keeps on functioning

Last edited by zeN; 05/12/09.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Looks Uberti

Durability Vaquero

If you like the feel of a Colt make sure you get a newer Vaquero with smaller grip frame. The new ones do feel like Colts pretty much.

I also like the "load six and close the gate" system of the Ruger too. I do not know if Urberti is safe with a round under the hammer.

Good luck.

Norm -
NRA Member Since 1966

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
692 members (160user, 12344mag, 12308300, 17CalFan, 16Racing, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,697 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,620
Posts18,398,530
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.