24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The FN action is an excellent one however, in my view, it does get better with a pre 64 M70 action or rifle. I like the safety a lot better on the pre 64. Other features, less important to me, are good on the FN.

I have an FN Deluxe 270 for sale at a gun shop here. Its on consigement for $595. If that were a pre 64 M70 it would be priced at $995!

Here is a picture of the FN. The scope on it now at the Autumn Gun Works is a Weaver.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Savage_99; 04/29/09.
BP-B2

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The FN High Power rifle action is one of the smoothest and highest quality actions around (better than the M-70 IMHO). Barreled actions were imporited by J.C. Higgins, Colt, High Standard and completed rifles were imported by Firearms International, Husquarnia and, Garcia.

Great, strong and smooth rifles!

S
S
Denton do you still have the JC Higgins scope? My uncle's, and now my 270 has a 2X that I do not know if it can be refurbished for my college bound-not headed for but held by-son. It is a mighty clean shooter!

S
S
God bless you and yours and me and mine and especially those that do not want to be blessed.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those are absolutely beautiful rifles and to think they were bought at Sears. My what times we live in now!

`Bring Enough Gun`
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Weaver did make many of the J.C. Higgins scopes. I have a K3 that is marked Sears.

Ditto on replacing the trigger on the JCH/FN rifles. It is a rinky-dink set-up. I don't know who came up with that one! Luckily any trigger designed for the 98 Mauser will work.

Montgomery Ward also imported a high-grade Mauser 98 rifle in the late 1960's, sold under their Western Field brand. These were built by the well-known firm of Heym in Germany, on good German military 98 actions that were spiffed up considerably, including having one of those little German locking levers on the bottom of the hinged floorplate. The safety is similar to the JCH/FN's, but the trigger is a standard 98 design though single-stage. The barrels were by Heym (and hence very good) and the stock wood generally of better quality than on the JCH rifles, though of typical German design. The Model 720 was a standard sporter with an FN-style bolt handle, Monte Carlo stock and 24" barrel, while the Model 724 had a Mannlicher stock, flat bolt handle, and 22" barrel.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have a model 50 higgins barreled action, in witch i put a timney trigger, and had it restocked by MPI. its an 06
they did a fine job , and I had a nice shoot with it just this week.
The 22 inch chrome lined barrel gives good velocity and fine accuracy too.
I squirted some 165 grain hornady interlocks, out of her at just over 2900 FPS , and got an avarage of just a shade over an inch.
I now have another higgins action with a pac-nor 22 inch barrel and a side safty timney trigger.
I Think I will finish it off with a set of NEGC sights and a barrel band sling swivel, than have it stocked like a euro safri rifle but with a higher comb for using scopes.
A guy just cant have to many nice 30,06s.
i recently sold a FN just like 99s. Great rifle killed a buck with iy a couple years ago.
But I would prefer a higgins. Who needs an 8lb 270 ?
...tj3006

Last edited by tj3006; 05/19/09.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I just bought one from a gentleman on GA for $175.00. He said his father painted the stock and it can only be described as "different". I will strip the stock and refinish it. They are good rifles. I had an '06 but sold it a few years ago. Thanks...Bill.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Very good rifles. It's hard to believe that such quality was available in a low cost rifle but that's what we had back then with a dollar worth something and Europe trying to recover from the war.

Retired cat herder.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I've got a Ted Williams by Sears that, in a more familiar form, is known as a 101 Winchester. Beautiful little 20 ga IC/M gun. Savage 99.... if that FN 270 is original and in exellent condition, drop me a PM as I would be interested. Tried to PM you, but your box is full.
dan

IC B3

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by model70man
I just bought one from a gentleman on GA for $175.00. He said his father painted the stock and it can only be described as "different". I will strip the stock and refinish it. They are good rifles. I had an '06 but sold it a few years ago. Thanks...Bill.

WOW - $175 -- a real steal. The barreled action alone would be worth $450 or so, depending on condition. Hope the stock celans up well; FN rifles generally had very good woood.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Weaver did make many of the J.C. Higgins scopes. I have a K3 that is marked Sears.

Ditto on replacing the trigger on the JCH/FN rifles. It is a rinky-dink set-up. I don't know who came up with that one! Luckily any trigger designed for the 98 Mauser will work.

Montgomery Ward also imported a high-grade Mauser 98 rifle in the late 1960's, sold under their Western Field brand. These were built by the well-known firm of Heym in Germany, on good German military 98 actions that were spiffed up considerably, including having one of those little German locking levers on the bottom of the hinged floorplate. The safety is similar to the JCH/FN's, but the trigger is a standard 98 design though single-stage. The barrels were by Heym (and hence very good) and the stock wood generally of better quality than on the JCH rifles, though of typical German design. The Model 720 was a standard sporter with an FN-style bolt handle, Monte Carlo stock and 24" barrel, while the Model 724 had a Mannlicher stock, flat bolt handle, and 22" barrel.

Montgomery Ward also used FN commercial actions in their rifles.

Retired cat herder.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Every now and then a NIB JC Higgins FN Mauser shows up on
GB or AA.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dsducati
......Savage 99.... if that FN 270 is original and in exellent condition, drop me a PM as I would be interested. Tried to PM you, but your box is full.
dan

PM sent.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks. I forgot to say that is has a Redfield scope on it also. He said it had a Weaver in his ad on GA but it's a Redfield.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Do you know of any other manufacturers of Sears scopes? I have a Sears Model 784 scope that is similar to a Weaver K3, but differs in the turret mounting. Mine has visible screws in a two piece mounting saddle, something that I haven't seen in actual K model Weavers.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I picked up one of those in 270 this winter for $225/shipped. I might send it out for a King bbl in either 7x57 or 9.3x62.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ADK4Rick
how times change.
you couldn't get a rifle that well made from any of the big boy's today.
and that was a Roebucker,low cost rifle in it's day.

Rick: ....and they wonder why some of us don't like the rifles made today,with all that plastic and stuff,resembling a beserk erector set... frown

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Savage_99
The FN action is an excellent one however, in my view, it does get better with a pre 64 M70 action or rifle. I like the safety a lot better on the pre 64. Other features, less important to me, are good on the FN.

If I knew a case would rupture I would rather be holding the 98 Mauser than a Pre-64 Model 70!
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by djs
The FN High Power rifle action is one of the smoothest and highest quality actions around (better than the M-70 IMHO). Barreled actions were imporited by J.C. Higgins, Colt, High Standard and completed rifles were imported by Firearms International, Husquarnia and, Garcia.

Great, strong and smooth rifles!

...and Sako... wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
651 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 257 mag, 72 invisible), 2,755 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,130
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.