Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Over the last year I have posted some photos of the work in progress of my custom M70. It has been a long drawn out process but it is finally finished. The rifle is a combined work of Dean Zollinger and James Anderson. As I mentioned in previous posts several years ago my Dad and I decided we wanted to build a matching pair of rifles. But at the same time we wanted them to each still be unique. The intent was that after they were built we would hunt with them and enjoy them and then when it came time for Dad to pass on his guns we would pass these rifles on to my boys. That way they would each have something special that was done by Dad and Grandpa together. Thanks to the work of 2 incredibly talented gun builders my half of the project is now a reality. (Dad�s rifle will be finished in a couple weeks)

I was hesitant about going with a stainless rifle. I was concerned that it would end up looking like a rifle left in the white. But Dad and I wanted the rifles to be significantly different. Even after seeing it in progress I was sort of regretting choosing the stainless. But now that I have the rifle in hand the stainless has really grown on me and I really love how it looks with the stock I have.

James Anderson contoured the barrel to an octagon that is very trim and elegant. He also did his cloverleaf conversion to the tang as well as made a custom checkered bolt release.. He also did the same treatment to Dad�s rifle. Once James finished his work he sent the projects on to Dean Zollinger.

Dean welded on a new bolt handle, made the custom contoured scope bases, finished all the metal to a nice satin bead blasted finish. He also did all the stock work. I asked Dean for a slim and trim stock with a nice open grip. He more than fulfilled my dreams on the stock. As you can see from the photos Dean really paid attention to the little details. The screws are all indexed and the checkering is as perfect as any I have ever seen.

I apologize for my poor photos. I know they do not do justice to the work Dean and James did. My poor lighting washed out the stock and brightened up the stainless far more than reality. And they definitely cant show how amazing the rifle feels in my hands. It is balanced perfectly and feels like an extension of my hands.

Specs:

Action: Winchester M70 Classic Stainless

Caliber: 300 Winchester Magnum

Barrel: Half Moon stainless 1:10 twist 24�

Bottom Metal: Blackburn stainless

Rings: Talley stainless

Bases: Dean Zollinger custom

Scope: Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x40

Stock: English Walnut

Grip cap: Fisher 2 screw

Swivel bases: Duane Wiebe custom

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v428/M1Tanker70/HPIM0608.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v428/M1Tanker70/HPIM0610.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v428/M1Tanker70/HPIM0611.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v428/M1Tanker70/HPIM0612.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v428/M1Tanker70/HPIM0614.jpg[/img]

William Berger

"True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway." - John Wayne
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very nice!

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
That stock is stunning!

Beautiful, beautiful work.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Very nice figure, details and proportions on the stock. Really like the contrasting walnut and SS. Great idea! Something your children will dearly treasure. smile

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice! I'd prefer a black scope but the rifle is awesome.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got an early 90's Classic Stainless and it's my favorite rifle. This is a gorgeous refinement of that.

Life is just one damned thing after another
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Very nice! I like the bolt handle a lot.

Congrat's on a fine rifle.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Heck, I didn't know that Blackburn made their bottom metal in stainless!?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
WOWZER! That is very nice! I really like SS with walnut, but I'd probably have to slum with a Kimber instead of a beaut like that.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Beautiful. I have really enjoyed seeing this rifle come together with your update photos.

Any chance of seeing your father's rifle?

IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Very nice.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A grand rifle cool cool

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Really nice work there Bill. I'd like to see what it looks like with a black scope too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fine as frog hair split 4 ways!!

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sweet rifle;nicely done and I like that the bolt handle is changed out,and not checkered.Practical and elegant.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All that work and they put the cheekpiece and bolt handle on the wrong side!! smile smile

Very nicely done
Kevin

I have "CDO". It is just like "OCD" except the letters are in alphabetical order LIKE THEY SHOULD BE!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

A wonderful custom rifle,very nice.

If it were mine,I would coat it in a matte black polymer finish,but that is just me.

It is certainly a work of art as it is though,congrats.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Lovin the Hexi barrel.Yep that will do!!

Canada by choice, British by Blood

People think there's a rigid class system here, but dukes have been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.

HRH Prince Phillip

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Great looking rifle Bill! I too had a M70 Classic stainless and ended up putting it into a walnut "Featherweight" stock. Came out fine, but not as nice as yours!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for all the compliments. Every time I look at the rifle I am glad that I kept it stainless and did not have the metal coated. It is something a little different than the rest of the custom rifles out there. Now I just need to get the time to take it to the range!!!!!

William Berger

"True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway." - John Wayne
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 270winchester, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 2,335 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,650
Posts18,455,461
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.