Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
STA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by STA
Jordan, I have been told that before........ :GRIN: Hell your from Calgary, so I bet you have so many bear you trip over them on you way to work.....;)

Yeah, they're as bad as prairie dogs around here. When spring comes around every year, I just find myself a good "bear town" and after watching 'em pop up and down out of their dens all afternoon, I take my pick.

A bear town...lol... must be nice...I think in the hole state of Missouri we have less than 20.... tired

randy..
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Would love to send you some of ours.

STA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Will the bears need a passport..... :GRIN:

randy..
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For you Randy we'll work around it.grin

STA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sound GOOD!

Mike, that avitar of yours is that a Panzer?

randy..
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by exbiologist
...Does anybody get better accuracy out of A-Frames compared to Partitions?...

The only rifle I can directly compare Partitions and A-Frames in is my .257 Roberts with 120g versions of each. The A-Frames shot considerably better.

Sample of one, for what it is worth.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another sample of one-
My 340 Wby shoots quite well with the 225 grain A-Frame-certainly better than with partitions, though the partitions show acceptable accuracy.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I shot them recently in a 270 FW and the Partitions shoot "better" in that rifle,but the Aframe stayed in an inch,while the Partition shot bug-hole groups.Just like any bullets, accuracy will vary depending on the rifle.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by STA
Sound GOOD!

Mike, that avitar of yours is that a Panzer?

Yup the Tiger.

STA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Germans have always made some of the best stuff!

randy..
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well, I'm getting acceptable accuracy with the Partitions and Speers. But I'd like to do a little better. Might help to not do this on a drizzly day, but I was getting 1.25-1.5 inch groups with some loads (RL19 was more like a buckshot pattern=2.5-3 inches, odd)). Both bullets would land two shots within 1/2 inch, then put the third about an inch away. Could just be me, but I was shooting lights out with the .264 (1/2 inch 5 shot, 1/3 inch 3 shot groups with the antelope load) in the same conditions.
I guess I will try some A-Frames.

Last edited by exbiologist; 05/23/09.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use A-Frames in my .338 Win Mag because they shoot more accurately than anything else that I tried in that rifle. I think that they might do a little more damage inside the body cavity compared with Partitions. I only have two elk taken with A-Frames compared to a half-dozen or so taken with Partitions in various chamberings. I would just shoot whichever is most accurate in your rifle. The difference in terminal performance is not that great.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Already got my Middle Fork B tag (backpack hunt Idaho in September, plus deer and bear),
Good luck!! For that hunt, I'd suggest which ever is lighter!!! That's some big, mean country.

I'm sorta digging your duo of rifles. I hunt everything with a ruger MKII 338 Win. (pronghorn's hate 210gr Partitions wink ) If/when I add something else to it, the practical side of me thinks 270/30-06/7mag. But, you're making me think that a pair of Rugers in 'Westerner' and 'Alaskan' dress wouldn't suck either...

Last edited by pointer; 05/25/09.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is mean territory.
Gotten my share of blisters and sore muscles in that country!

Good luck to you, Exbio!

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was able to avoid the blisters, but sore musclers were a given. Spent 20+ days in there last year helping a pard with a sheep tag.

Big country....
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very nice pictures, Pointer.
You spent 20 days up there?
You are a lucky man!

James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Pointer, great pictures. I'm pumped about the hunt. And I think my combination of guns is suitable for nearly any condition or game animal without being overkill or underkill, plus one has the looks, the other one is all business. But the looker is also a killer shooter (blueprinted using single point method, lilja barrel, glass bedded, sweet trigger, 1/2 inch 3 shot groups are norm with several combinations). However, the big Norma will be coming with me on the Idaho hunt for sure because it is the lightest of the two, by at least 2 pounds. So, it may still take some tweaking to get the new Norma to shoot to my satisfaction, but I'm confident she will.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pointer....I do love that .338mag! Great pictures and man those hills look steep to this flatlander. Yep, looks like a young man's game, I betcha they sell air at the top for 10bucks a bottle hey.LOL

Now getting back to those bullets gents! I like the Nosler Partitions a bunch but not so much for big bull elk. I instead go the route of the Swift A Frames or Bear Claws. The Swift bullet mushrooms out bigger and creates a larger wound channel than the Nosler Partiton.

In tests I ran, the Swift A Frame penetrated deeper and still had over 90% of the bullet left. The Nosler Partition only had 56% of the bullet left. The Nosler Partiton Gold had 72% of the bullet left in tact.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
340- The 20 days were spread over two separate trips. One involved a lot of walking in and one involved a plane ride and about 40 miles of rafting! It' didn't suck... wink

And I think my combination of guns is suitable for nearly any condition or game animal without being overkill or underkill
That's what I'm shooting for as well! The problem I'm having is whether to pick a logistically practical chambering (ie 270, 30-06, 308 etc) or something a bit more exotic, but not available in every super mart store. Good luck, take lots of pics and get back on that stairmaster! wink

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Pointer,
If something exotic excites you (and it does for me), then go that route. A 270, 30-06 or 308 doesn't excite me, or I'm assuming you. Besides you can get something very similar and still have factory loaded stuff available(if that's a selling point), ie .280 Remington(or AI), .338 Federal, .264 Win Mag, 6.5-284, .257 and .270 Wby, etc . That way it's at least out of the norm, if not truly exotic, like a 7x61 S&H, .257 STW, 7mm JRS, 6.5 WSM, 8mm-06 AI, 6.5-300 Wby, etc.
Or one other route to go is make an exciting gun in a plain jane chambering, like a Mannlicher-style stock in high grade English Walnut(or Mesquite, or Purple Heartwood with zebrawood forend and grip cap or whatever), neato-torpedo sights, slicked up and blueprinted action, etc, etc, etc.
That example isn't exactly the Westerner vs. the Alaskan (which you have), but you get the point. If you're looking to fill that niche, the Westerner should be the looker in a .270 to .30-06 power range (but not necessarily those chamberings). The big ugly can of course handle the lighter duties, but lighter gun may be a little light for the big stuff that the Alaskan is called for, which is why the Alaskan should also be the gun you are more inclined to take out in inclement weather.
Let us know what you do!

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

231 members (12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 24 invisible), 2,329 guests, and 927 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,718
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.