Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have them all identified save one. The one used by actor Brad Johnson that was equipped with a telescopic sight and a bolt action. The bullet looked like a German 11mm but I'm not sure. Can one of you guys help? jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
BP-B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
There were bolt action rifles chambered for the 45-70 but I can't remember what name they were under. Some were submitted for trials with the US military.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I remmeber seeing that a good while back and I think that was a Mauser model 84 with the tubular magazine.

Tarheel

No people will tamely surrender their Liberties when knowledge is diffusd and virtue is preservd. On the contrary, when people are ignorant, and debauchd in their manners they will sink under their own weight without the Aid of Invaders. Samuel Adams
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think that was a Remington Keene rifle. Had a tubular magazine IIRC. Good movie.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Good movie and even better book.

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Rmember seeing the rifle, but couldn't identify it. Great movie.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Good flick, of which I happen to have a copy and have watched it many times. When Bo Dorn [Brad Johnson's character] goes to murder the young cowboy Langston, Dorn rolls the bullet in the creases of both sides of his nose - to lubricate it a bit.

One gets a good view of the cartridge that's considerably shorter than a .45/70 altho it does look to be approximate .45 cal. I agree the rifle was an early bolt gun of some kind.

Also of late I've also been studying the .460 Smith & Wesson cartidge as a candidate to shoot in a single-shot Encore or Handi-Rifle ..... (along with the .45 Colt or .454C artridges, and possibly even the .410 shotshell).

Bo Dorn's sniper round appears to be roughly the same size as the .460S&W, but I don't know what it actually is either.

Been a long time since I read Louis L'Amour's book. Did he write about the rifle and cartridge? Something L'Amour was always good at was documenting equipment, or person, or events or places (even intricate land characterisitcs) as accurate!

Another of L'Amour's books was "The Fergussen Rifle," about a rifle owned by a British major during the Revolutionary War.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm pretty sure it was a Remington Keene-I haven't seen the movie in awhile,but I seem to remember it having an exposed hammer.

Here's what a Remington looks like-
[Linked Image]

WB.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Good one W.B. That looks like the rifle in the movie less the scope.

What cartridge does that Remington Keene take?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by shootinurse

Thanks for the link to that article.

After reading and researching a little more, I still think "Bo Dorn's" Crossfire rifle wasn't in .45/70.

The article that link goes to says the Remington-Keene was chambered in .45/70, but also the .43 Spanish cartidge and one other round I can't remember as I post this. Both of the latter rounds had creases in the casings, something "Dorn's" ammo didn't have.

I still think Dorn was using something like a .40-60 round in his rifle. The .45/70 is frequently almost as long as one's finger, but the round I saw in the Crossfire flick was much shorter than a .45/70 and more slender.

When googling cartridges, I came across a fellow making .40-60's from .40-65 brass. He was cutting off almost a 1/2 inch of the 40-65's case. For anyone interested!

jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The bullet looked like an 1mm Mauser to me, hence the question. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by jorgeI
The bullet looked like an 1mm Mauser to me, hence the question. jorge

Do you mean the 11mm Mauser? I'll have to watch the flick again, but Dorn's round didn't have a "cannilure" in the [cartridge] casing like pics I've seen of of the 11mm and .43 Spanish cartidges.

Of course some might say knowing exactly what the cartridge was wasn't as important as learning that that rifle model was the Remington-Keene. But whatever, learning what little I have about Crossfire Trails firearms taught me much more than I previously knew!

Tom Selleck did, BTW, donated seven "movie guns" to the Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody, WY. Those guns included the ones he used in "Monte Walsh," "Quigley Down Under" and "Crossfire Trail."

jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
sorry, I meant 11. I can't find good pictures of those old Mausers either to make a comparison. Alo might the rifle be a French Lebel (not the 8mm)? jorge

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Beau Dorn's sniper rifle is a Remington Keene deluxe grade 'B' sporter chambered for .40-60 Marlin & Ballard. The majority of sporters were chambered in .45-70 Govt., such as the Remington keene used by actor James Wainwright(Mingo) in Clint Eastwood's movie Joe Kidd. I believe there is a .40-60 Remington Keene on display at NRA's national firearms museum (American Riflemen, April 1972).

Last edited by 3dtestify; 10/04/09.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The cannulure in the case was a crimp to hold the bullet in a tubular magazine, I'm thinking. Lots of original paper patched bullets for magazine rifles had that because they couldn't crimp the case mouth because of the paper.

I've got some 11 mm brass, it isn't cannulured, but the case head is funny-shaped. At any rate, they likely didn't use real bullets and real cases in the movie.

I think there must be a prop company in Hollywood that has that Remington Keene rifle; I've seen it before in the "Sons of Katie Elder." The bad guy was firing off a few rounds at a target with it.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I believe the Remington Keene .45-70 grade 'B' sporter used in both 'The Sons of Katie Elder'(1965) and 'Joe Kidd'(1972) is the same rifle with minor changes to the optics & the magazine tube. It was probably provided by Stembridge Arms, the Hollywood prophouse source for movie weapons. The rifle used in 'Crossfire Trail' was on display at the NRA museum a couple of years ago in a display titles, "Gun of the silver screen" & the American Rifleman article errantly listed it as a .45-70 Govt. caliber. I'm not sure if this rifle is different from the .40-60 Marlin & Ballard Remington Keene in the NRA collection. The rifle pictured in this thread is a .45-70 Frontier/U.S.I.D. Indian Police rifle with a 24" round barrel & straight grip stock. The grade 'B' sporters differed with a 24-1/2" half round/half octagonal barrel, upgraded wood stock with pistol grip & checkering. Other rare chamberings for these rifles included .43 Spanish & .44-40 WCF.

Last edited by 3dtestify; 10/05/09.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
647 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 12308300, 55 invisible), 3,115 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,741
Posts18,401,179
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.