24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've used a dome-lidded Brinkmann with the water pan to smoke a variety of meats over the years. I've also used it w/o the water pan to smoke jerky but never tried smoking other meats w/o the water. The lack of temperature control in the Brinkmann has me in the market for a new smoker as I want to start dabbling in summer sausage/salami and the like. It'll also be used for poultry, ribs, etc.

My question is, when smoking meats where drying isn't the goal, is there much, if any, difference in the finished product when using a water pan above the heat source versus not?

GB2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have an offset as well as a water smoker (Weber WSM) that has been used with and without the waterpan.

Can't really tell a dif in the finished product between using the water pan vs. not.

The offset definately is more traditional and imparts a different flavor than the vertical jobs.

Buy a Weber WSM. I load mine up in the morning before work and come home to a great meal at the end of the day.No tending whatsoever.The trick is to replace the Weber water pan with a Brinkmann charcoal pan and use it for water. About twice the capacity.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How much are you looking to spend? My brother and I bought a Cookshack electric smoker a couple of years ago. They are not cheap, but they are very high quality and the temperature control is outstanding. You can produce consistent product time and time again in almost all weather conditions.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use a Smokey Mountain propane smoker with water pan, and have no complaints. It works well for turkeys, brisket, ribs, pork loin, chicken, etc.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
i can't tell a difference either...

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We caught baby backs on sale a couple of weeks ago and I grilled three slabs. I have a small smoker, but was too lazy to fire it. I rubbed the top side with St Louis Mesquite, and cooked the ribs, membrane down. I used a med sized foil pan for water with garlic, apple, onion, and lemon, all quartered, and a small foil pan for soaked wood chips. I fired the large Coleman propane grill up to high with the lid closed. At 500 degrees, I placed the ribs at both ends of the grill and turned those burners out. The water and chips went on the center burner, and that burner was used to adjust the heat. I have installed a thermometer on my lid. A small amount of apple juice was sprayed on the rids toward their finish. They came off very good. We had one of the smoked slabs left over in the fridge, so I put it into a long vac bag and sealed it for the freezer. I noticed some moisture in the bag as the sealer worked. Good luck.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
i make jerky a lot taught my self how to but never have used a water pan what is it and how does it work i know a stupid question but would like to know thanks

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The flame or burner is on the bottom, then the box for the wood or wood chips, then the water pan - the meat sits above all that. The premise is that the water simmers or boils and steams and that helps keep the meat moist. I don;t use the water pan when I am drying jerky. Using it, the results for the meats I've tried have been great, so I see no reason to not use it.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
157 members (338Rules, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 19 invisible), 2,002 guests, and 949 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,648
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.