Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by RDFinn
If someone is looking for perfect esthetic's, I wouldn't order a McSwirly either.
Mr Finn I look for esthetic's for this type of money that would be spent on a HIGH dollar custom rig, now I have seen McSwirly's that line up perfect, as a matter of fact my buddy has numerous that does line up. I don't purchase them because I like the edge technology that's just me.

BP-B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Most I know generally blame the gunsmith for the stockmaker's flaws too

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
One could if the gunsmith had to do some adjustment's like on the rifle I speak of above the smith bungged up the bolt release cut out on the stock......please forgive me.....PISSED me off. Did you go to their site and look at what I was talking about?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's not just how they line up. I'm referring to seam lines and being able to see the texture of cloth on the surface of some of the McSwirly's. I had a 30 STW built by a well known PA gunsmith that was pretty bad in that respect, but it shot like gangbuster's. I was told by them that visible cloth lines were more noticeable depending on the colors selected. In fairness, they offered to replace the stock, but, they stated that they could not guarantee the next one to be perfect either.

Roy

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
straight from the mcmillan website...

Molded in colors are the most durable finish we offer. With a molded finish, the color is impregnated into the gelcoat, or exterior surface layer of the stock. All of the molded-in finishes below should be considered utility-grade. Mold lines, sanding marks, fiberglass cloth and small imperfections may be visible.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by RDFinn
It's not just how they line up. I'm referring to seam lines and being able to see the texture of cloth on the surface of some of the McSwirly's. I had a 30 STW built by a well known PA gunsmith that was pretty bad in that respect, but it shot like gangbuster's. I was told by them that visible cloth lines were more noticeable depending on the colors selected. In fairness, they offered to replace the stock, but, they stated that they could not guarantee the next one to be perfect either.

Roy
Mr Finn I've seen the cloth issue on them and your exactly right I think McM even mention this on their site. O my bad mtnman1 posted it above.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm aware of that info now but wasn't when I had that particular rifle built. I'm not trying to imply that McMillan makes substandard stocks cause in my opinion they make the best fiberglass stock around. In fact, I wouldn't use anything but a McMillan for a hunting rig. Just saying that if one is going to get all lathered up over cosmetics, a Swirly might not be your best option.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Mr Finn I love McMillan products not only that their customer service(Heather, Dianna, Ry) is second to none, just hate their stocks went up as per price which is very much so understood.

K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Thx for all the input, didn't mean to get all this started.
I've thought about it and think I'am gonna stick with my Montana for now. I got it used 6 months ago for $600 and mounted a leupy VXIII on it, it's taken 6 hogs, 3 deer and a bunch of coyotes. It will shot federal blue box ammo into 1 1/2 at 100 5 shots about as fast as I can reload and shoot. It will do 5 shots in to 1/2-3/4 with my reloads.
I guess I was just wonering if the grass was greener on the other side

You can call me what ever you want to, just don't call me late for dinner.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
It is IF you want to spend the coin, if you like these things like I do I say if a man can he needs atleast one custom rifle, with that being said get you a McWhorter just make sure your satisfied before you spend your money IE: accuracy, fit and finish, or whatever it is your looking for!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JimBobwsm
Custom action 1200.00
Bottom Metal 200.00
Jewell Trigger 225.00
Hart Fluted barrel 390.00
Mickey stock 400.00
Muzzle brake 200.00

Gun Build Labor+ Rifle testing+ load devopment+ Reputation=5500.00

Don't look like they are getting rich. Some people drive Toyotas and some people drive Bentleys. Some people hunt public land near there home and some people go on outfitted hunts in Alberta.

$hit can the muzzlebreak, if you need a break, your shooting too much rifle for yourself, williams bottom metal is around what $100?? not $200, a well worked remington 700 trigger is plenty good unless you want a benchrest rifle, especially on a hunting rifle. with that you come up to $2100 and that is by using a high dollar action, that is over priced, a used remmy selling off the donor parts $200 again with a remmy after gunsmithing you are at 2k with the full on custom action 3k, again that is a mile away from $5500, $5500 is too much money for a synthetic stocked rifle made by anyone!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So I guess 14K for a Legend.................

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Way too much money. If I spend 5K on a rifle, it better be perfect. That would be like paying full price for a new car with scratches, it just dont make sense???

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They're mighty proud of their work. That said, the work appears nice.

WAR EAGLE!

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
If I had the moolah, I'd have a safe full of Tim McWhorter rifles. Other safes for David Christman rifles, Duane Weibe rifles, Steven Dodd Houghes rifles, and more great smiths..

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've got it bad for a Mcwhorter. There are several for sale on his website that keeps me awake at night. I'm moving to Colorado as soon as I sell my home and I need an elk rifle. I'd like a custom, or semi custom rifle. Mcwhorter is on the short list. I can purchase one of his listed customs without a delay and his rifles offer everything I need. However, Popapi has a valid point.
I had a Savage MZ with a laminated stock with the same issue. After a year or so the bolt handle would occasionaly hit out side the channel marring the stock. For a custom that runs 10 times what I paid for the Savage, there shouldn't be any issues at all.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Lee I had been looking at McWhorter rifles for awhile, but have a smith here that will build me the same rifle for quite a bit less that will shoot the same as any custom rifle built by anyone else, however if it wasn't for my smith OR Karl Feldcamp I would own a McWhorter just would buy one with the stock aligned!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I have a McWhorter 300 WSM,IT'S A VERY WELL PUT TOGETHER RIFLE and very accurate with Winchester FACTORY AMMO.Karl at Kampfeld Custom is my main gunsmith now and forever.I've found him and his work to be OUTSTANDING and cost less than McWhorter.Karl is a FINE GUNSMITH and I'm PROUD to say my friend,which means a whole bunch to me.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Building a push feed action isnt rocket science and many people can do it and do it well. I would not pay $5500 for that gun.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Although I haven't done a lot, I've done some research on the net and haven't found anyone badmouthing Mcwhorter or his rifles. In and of itself that speaks volumes. There aren't any world class gunsmiths where I live. I don't wish to wait a couple of years, or even one to receive a rifle. I am looking at Ed Brown, Dakota, Mcmillan, Borden, and of course Mr. Mcwhorter's work. It looks to me that the alignment issues are using Borden's actions in Mcmillan stocks. This is exactly the action and stock I'd purchase. I have the same reservations that Popapi has. Fortunately I don't have to make a decison right this moment.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
638 members (257Bob, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 70 invisible), 2,866 guests, and 1,415 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,656
Posts18,399,278
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.