Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I do like those big white tips on that top right buck though.. real pretty animal and nice photo of him.

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
17 and no mass.. didn't make it. Click on this to see video of the buck..

Claw Buck

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Keep em coming guys!! I put in for a red desert tag this year and I'm trying to practice judging these boogers.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Here's a dandy, but crappy photo of him.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This one's supposedly 14.5". YMMV...... wink

[Linked Image]

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Here's a crummy photo of a real nice buck from 2007. I found him in the summer of 2008 and his right horn was stunted past the prong. He's on the downhill slide, looked about like this for 3 years.. solid 16+ with unique shape..
[Linked Image]

1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Scoutin: My suggestion is to get out and look at a bunch of pronghorn with the best glass one can afford. Eventually the truly large one's will bring out the "holy moly" comment, and I've seen but not taken any that fill that bill.

We (Oregon) do not come even close to Wyoming in pronghorn numbers, as your state supports fully 80% of the world population. The biggest error I see is that folks are inclined to equate horn length with a high score. Mass over as much length as possible will buy one many more points. If the prongs are high enough up the stem to fall in the 3rd quarter circumference measure then one really scores big time.

Here's one the wife took about 3 years ago. Length is only about 14 3/4's and we've not done the rest of the measurements. Notice that the mass only reaches about as high as the tips of its ears. She's has two on the wall, and both are larger than my single. Every one is unique, however, and rates as a tropy in my book Takes us about 11 to 12 years to score a tag in Oregon.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by 1minute; 06/12/09.

1Minute
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
last year i almost shot a buck with 4 or 5" horns that curled over his eyes. Thankfully i didn't. I found this retarded thing later. So it's my priority to see if the other one grew a foot or so this year.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I remember the crazy devil buck. The last pic is great.

I'm gonna cry if I don't draw this year.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Scoutin: My suggestion is to get out and look at a bunch of pronghorn with the best glass one can afford. Eventually the truly large one's will bring out the "holy moly" comment, and I've seen but not taken any that fill that bill.

yeah if yah can get out and look a bunch now and then pretty soon yah get a pretty good idea on whats small, whats average and whats a "holy moly" grin saw half a "holy moly" last fall.....the left side was huge but the right side was broke off or stunted below where the prong should have been.....had i been able to sneak up on him i still woulda shot him....bet the one side was near 16"....maybe a lil better.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Somehow I just know that I won't draw a tag again this year either frown I'm about ready to just give up on rifle tags for goats and start hitting it middle of September with a bow and decoy...

Definately see a lot more gooduns during rut. I swear the bastids hide in a gopher hole once rifle season kicks off.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I killed this buck last season in NM. A shade over 16", gross 82" and some change....

[img][IMG]http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t32/JGrimes_2007/100_3225-1.jpg[/img][/img]

I posted this on another thread, but my son's buck was 17 1/2" and grossed 86"+.......

[img][IMG]http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t32/JGrimes_2007/NMAntelopeHunt003.jpg[/img][/img]

They are tough for me to judge also. I don't spend a whole lot of time in antelope country.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by joe6555
I think the top two would barely make 14" if they do. This last picture is likely 16-16.5". I have been disapointed a few times by drastically over judging horn length on these buggers.

I would say you're dead on Joe. I too used to misjudge speed goats, after you shoot and measure you're dumbfounded. once I started guiding that was another story, I knew by then, and even surprised the clients.

took my dad out last year to shoot one on a friends ranch. dad knew it was tall, I said shooter he downed him. we estimated him and I was even off by 1/2 an inch. I thought it would go 16" max, but it has just a hair under 15 1/2"
I'll try to get a pic posted of him

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by 1minute
Greehorn: I'd still lean toward putting a higher score on the leftmost of the two due mostly to the measure of the second and 3rd quarters. Here is a second almost profile image of the right side animal. The second and third quarters on this animal add little to his score. The second quarter is probably just above the prong. Actually I don't think either of these critters would make book, I just posted the images as an example.

Several years ago a local harvested a 17 inch length pronghorn that couldn't make book. All his mass was beneath the ears even though he had extremely tall horns.

With things like pronghorn and sheep, one garners more points from mass (circumference)than horn length. Broomed bighorn can score way up the chart compared to a non broomed animal with more length.
[Linked Image]

OneMinte -

I had an antelope measured up for the book two years ago. The buck went 84.5" but there was a little question because there was a 2nd prong growing right where the 2nd quarter measurement was to be. When the official ruling came down from the main office of Boone and Crocket, the measurement was moved several inched up, and put above the main prong. Their statement said that the 2nd quarter had to be measured above the prong. I disagreed but didnt pursue it. I know what the animal measures, and he came out a solid 80" even after what I percieve to be an error on their part. Nothing in the measurement rules states that it must be measured above the prong. I was just wondering if you had ever run into that situation.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I am guessing the first two bucks at right about 13". Its always the curl that gets me. You have to look at them long enough to get the curl figured out.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tony Grimmett, AZ antelope guide, has a good video specifically on scoring antelope called "Size is Everything." Obviously some nice antelope are shown.

RR

1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Oakster: Went to the B&C site and lifted this out of their pronghorn scoring sheet. Measurement C is length.

Divide Measurement C of the longer horn by four. Starting at the base, mark both horns at these quarters (even though the other horn is shorter) and measure the circumferences at these marks. If the prong interferes with D-2, move the measurement down to just below the swelling of the prong. If D-3 falls in the swelling of the prong, move the measurement up to just above the prong

Hope this helps.

1Minute
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Length is overrated, mass and cutters are critical.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I love 'em with the classic heart shape and deep curl on the tips.

Been watching/hunting those suckers since I was a little kid and they can still give a guy fits judging the whole package.
Great fun!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

189 members (300jimmy, 12344mag, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 2UP, 22 invisible), 2,233 guests, and 880 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,711
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.