Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Guys of infinite wisdom:

I shoot a M700 in 223 using 50 grain bullets at 3200-3400 fps; Mild loads and I do not overheat the barrel on dogtowns. A usual dog trip is about 500 rounds per day. Knowing this, what is a ballpark estimate of # of rounds before a rebarrel? I know I will go by accuracy determination, but in your experience what have you seen?

thanks

Moe

"Pick out two!"
BP-B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I have purely abused a number of factory .223 barrels ( Shot them hot and dirty...lots) and I would start to see some wear and groups opening at about 9,000 rounds.
Had my favorite rebarreled with a Hart Bbl, and Ive tried a lot harder to be kind to it.....its got about 8,000 on it now with no visible sign of wear....It really does seem to help if you don't shoot them really hot and really dirty... whistle
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I ran a Ruger 77 VT to 15,000 rounds down the barrel... was looking to rebarrel it but was offered as much as I paid for it, in trading up to a Savage 12 BVSS... So I jumped on it..

Ran into the guy who bought it at the range one day... he had put another 2000 rounds down the barrel since he had gotten it, making the barrel count about 17,000 rounds...

Nosler had recommended a load of 25 grains of H 335 with a 55 grain ballistic tip, and that is what he was using... at a 100 yds, it still gave him a group that could be covered with a dime...

he had mounted a 8 x 32 Burris Signature Scope on top, which I am sure helped bring that target in close...

I have a couple in the 6,000 range count that are doing just fine....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
I have an older 700ADL that has 12,360 down the barrel and shows no signs of giving up. Was probably the most accurate rifle I had owned when I first got it so I babied the barrel for a few years but it has been let'er rip for a long time now. Mostly H335 and 50 grainers at what ever velocity accuracy was obtained.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
500 rds a day in a dogtown ? Wow that must be one helluva dogtown... shocked
If I shoot 200 rds total in 4-5 hrs with three rifles I think I had a great day.....by noon the wind is blowing too much...
I would say improper cleaning methods is the worst culprit for shorter barrel life...over heating too.....

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by tikkanut
I would say improper cleaning methods is the worst culprit for shorter barrel life...over heating too.....

Been fortunate enough to have a few days like that, but you are right on the cleaning and over heating issues......
Real reason I answered your post, if you are indeed a "tikkanut" have you shot any of their .223s with the 1 in 8 twist, and if so, what did you think? They kinda intrigued me...
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Based on my experience and your usual day, I would say between 25 and 30 of your usual days and you will need to rebarrel unless you never overheat your barrel and have multiple guns to shoot. I have had several three day trips in SE MT on a ranch with 500 to 900 shots per day but always with multiple guns. I don't have the patience to not shoot at targets when they are available so my barrels get hot. I bought my Ruger #1V in .223 used and put over 10,000 rounds down the tube before loosing accuracy and replacing the barrel. I have not reached that round count with my Model 700's yet since I liked the Ruger #1V better. My Rem 700 in .223 has over 5000 rounds and still shoots great.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by rflshtr
I have had several three day trips in SE MT on a ranch with 500 to 900 shots per day but always with multiple guns. I don't have the patience to not shoot at targets when they are available so my barrels get hot.

Yep, the real barrel saver and excuse for another gun....it is S.O.P. to carry a spare .223 to shoot while the #1 gun is cooling...no kidding...
Ingwe

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
ingwe - I do not qualify as a "Tikka nut" but I do have experience with a couple of sporters in 223.

The first one was a pre-Beretta T-3 sporter with a beautifully figured wood stock and blued barrel, it was chambered in 223 with the 1-12 twist, it was the best shooting, mass produced, 223 I have ever owned, it did not care what weight of bullet (40's thru 55's) or what maker it was, and the same for any powder that is appropriate for 223's. It was a consistent sub 1/2" for 5 shots rifle, nothing was done to it except to adjust the trigger to just under two pounds of pull, unfortunately in a moment of weakness I sold it to a friend and have regretted it ever since.

Which brings up the tale of the second one, I missed the handiness and accuracy of the one I had sold and could not find another one in a wood stock which struck my fancy so I ended up purchasing another T-3 sporter, but this one was the synthetic stocked and blued version with the 1-8 twist and by this time Tikka had been purchased by Berretta. This rifle was a consistent sub 1" rifle for 5 shots but I could never get it to shoot even anywhere close to as consistent and as small groups as the first one. I tried every powder, bullet make and weight combo that I could come up with and none would do the magic 1/2" mark.

I have also owned two Tikka (pre-Berretta) model 595 heavy barrel models with 1-12 twist and like the sporter 1-12's they were easy to load for and both shot sub-1/2".

Now this is a very small sample and is my only experience with the 1-8 twist so it is not meant to be definitive but rather a report of my experience with the one and only 1-8 twist Tikka I ever owned.

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Thanks for that input. Your 1 in 12 guns sound like other tikka stories I've heard... curious about the 1 in 8... though frankly Ive found 1 in 12s shoot every type of bullet Ive ever wanted them to shoot....hmmmm
Thanks again!
Ingwe

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I have two Tikka 223s....

My first was a pre Beretta 595 field weight ss/syn w/12 twist..
My newest is one of the last SS 223 Varmint weights w/8 twist (stamped on bbl) My biggest complaint with the varmint 8 twist is why build an 8 twist bbl and not a magazine to accomadate the long 75-80 grain bullets ? These longer bullets must be single fed through the port...and if you got fat fingers its a real PIA...I actually have not got the varmint 223 to shoot the way it should yet...using usual 223 powders...Lapua brass & Rem 7.5 primers...Nosler 55 BTs...75 A max..80 SMK....its sort of a back burner project...the earlier 595 223 has been a very decent shooter since day one...even with the field weight bbl......seems Beretta seems to think the SS varmint didn't need to be imported to the USA any longer...along with the laminted/ss field series...the Tikka rifles are still are fine choice if they offer the configuration/caliber you want...excellent triggers...exceptional barrels..super slick actions...excellent value in today's market...I just need to spend some more time with my SS Varmint...less time on the Yamaha Rhino in the back country... laugh

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Thanks for that input too. I was looking over a Tikka in a sporter, rather than heavy version...it is odd they didn't make magazine to accomodate bigger boolits... My one rifle with the Hart Bbl. I mentioned earlier has a 1 in 10 twist and will shoot anything Ive tried ( but I haven't gone over 68 gr match yet....)
Thanks again... I get universally good comments about Tikkas..
Ingwe

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have an older 700ADL that makes every range trip to shoot while everything else cools...if my calculator is right...probably 9500 or so through it....still easily under an inch.

It must feel so good to be right all the time.....
Click "Ignore"..get rid of the whore..
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by tikkanut
If I shoot 200 rds total in 4-5 hrs with three rifles I think I had a great day.....by noon the wind is blowing too much...

Thanks for the replies; I only get to go once a year, so the days are long. This year, my son and I shared 3 223's and one 22-250. We usually try to get some rimfire time in but this year was all cf. My dad helped a little but he mostly watched due to arthritis.

Moe

"Pick out two!"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
107 members (160user, 35, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 308ld, 338reddog, 15 invisible), 1,723 guests, and 767 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.