24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Up here you're not even allowed to bone meat in the field, as there are concerns about wasting meat. And of course leaving it overnight isn't an option either, brown bears and all. If it's too big for two guys to get out in one trip (moose, roosevelt elk) Me and my buddies pack it out in rotation so one dude carries a load while one keeps cuttingand guarding the carcass, and then when the first guy gets back he starts cutting while the other guy packs. plenty of 20 mile days like this, and God knows I'll get smart one day, and float hunt,but for now I like to be stubborn. Like the man said, "Strong like bull, smart like tractor."

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can't bone it out? Wow! People that dreamed up that law couldn't have been hunters.

That means if I ever get to AK, guess I'll be shooting out the window of the truck! Ooops, probably can't do that either!

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dry aging will result in loss of moisture wich will result in a weight loss of the meat but will not ruin it see link

http://ag.ansc.purdue.edu/meat_quality/aging_meat.html

I dont know if you could say it is a chemical reaction or not but it has more to do with time and temperature than any thing else.

A lap dance is sooooo much better when the stripper is crying
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Smoke, I think if you could carry a whole elk on your back, most folks wouldnt even look at you and would problably say "yes sir"

A lap dance is sooooo much better when the stripper is crying
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
175rltw: My interpretation of the Alaska rules was that with moose etc the long bones were to remain in the legs (or portions of legs) while the back bone and ribs could stay in the field. Even the non-gutting technique video that non-residents are required to watch makes that implication.

The regulations were going though a shake up back when we made our first trip up. With some obvious cases of wanton waste at the time, a regulation requiring bone in transport was proposed. Transporters resisted the bone in deal for obvious reasons (excess weight), and the compromise came down to long bones only. My moose was checked in the field with all the bags being weighed. All the legs carried their long bones and I passed muster. Antlers or horns will not come to camp though until all meat has made it in.

My only resistence to boning in the field is the long term storage and added surface area issue. If I'm truck hunting and will make it to a cooler at the end of the day, boning is fine.

That is typically not the case though as I usually get away and will not return for 12 to 15 days. If the meat will be hanging in camp for another 10 days, I want to minimize exposed surface area and will bring out full quarters. A couple of years ago I lucked out with snow and a 1-mile down hill pull, and got a raghorn bull into camp and on the meat pole in one piece. My goal was to have it up before anyone returned. I almost made it, but a buddy walked in just as I was hooking the carcass to the pickup to hoist it up. Likely that will never happen again.

With our chronic wasting issues down here, interstate transport in at least the Pacific northwest is mandating that spines and brains will not cross state lines. That being, I now wait until the last evening, remove those components and head out in the morning.

Again, boning probably cuts ones pack weight by about 30%. While there are likely some educated individuals on this site, I'd suggest the majority of hunters lack the skills needed to dismember an animal in the field and deliver a clean and palatable product to the table. The job is a cinch if one is in 2 feet of snow, but some planning and preparation are needed if one is going to single handedly roll a moose or elk around in pine needles on a 80% slope and bring a good clean cut back to camp. Time and patience will certainly help. 1Minute

Last edited by 1minute; 06/18/09.

1Minute
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 270LightningBLR
Smoke, I think if you could carry a whole elk on your back, most folks wouldnt even look at you and would problably say "yes sir"

I did carry a whole elk on my back - Once

They had two calfs down about two miles in on rolling sage hills. We had 5 guys and were trying to drag both elk through the sage with no snow. It was turning out to just be a pushing pulling tripping tug-o-war match. So I said screw it and took the smallest one with a log between her rear hocks bent down pressed the log over my head leaned forward and took off.

Bad thing is it was the night before my season started and I was out there past midnight helping them.

TRUE STORY, done the same with a few deer I have shot in the sage, did the same with my doe last year. The elk was the heaviest I ever did that with. But the doe last year was the hardest - I think becuase I am not as young as I used to be. COL

Where is that wascally Wapiti?
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
muscles will still relax after rigor whether they're on the bone or not... doesn't seem to make a difference in my experience. The real difference in flavor and texture of the meat comes in aging. Of course the absolute biggest difference it the tenderness of the meat has to do with the animal itself.

The only non-edible portions of the animal I'll pack out of the backcountry on my back are the thin fascial membranes separating muscle groups.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
1Minute- yeah you are correct on that, lower leg bones spine etc are all ok to remove. BUT- that still leaves WAY more bone in than it seems aome people are willing to deal with. And yeah, it is all do to wanton waste. Bottom line when fish and game flies over your carcass and cant see the ground under it your in trouble. Meat salvage is such a big deal, and then after all that probably 85 perent of guys leave the meat withthe outfitter or transporter to donate, or do it straight up themselves to the village.

As to the road hunting, no issue most places, as in step out of your vehicle and off the road and blast away, that's a real popular way of dealing with moose, and everytime I start to pickup a 200lb pack which I know I'll get to carry at least 3 of... Well I can see the appeal at that moment, but damn I like to get off the beaten path a little. But then I guess that's what sheep hunting is for.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've done the gutless method on 2 elk and 1 moose, leaving the bones in the hills. Never had a problem with toughness...course we aged em right and they were as tender as any that had bone left in. Not much of a study, but that's how it ended up with these 3 critters. We did leave the meat in as big of pieces as we could.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ever heard the old saying "Ask 100 different people a question, you'll get 100 different answers"?

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, but a lot of scientific research has been done on how various things affect meat at various stages. We often discover them inadvertently as we hunt for a long time, but what I've mentioned here is stuff that's been confirmed by experimentation at various places, especially the U. of Wyoming, which has a very fine meat science program.

My wife and I have confirmed a lot of this science in years of processing big game of almost every type. In a shameless bit of promotion, I would suggest thast anybody who wants to read about the details of how and why should buy her latest cookbook, which goes into all this (along with including well over 100 recipes for strictly big game, and other stuff). It's available through our website, www.riflesandrecipes.com

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A few years ago, a guy on another forum drew a moose tag in ME. He said the law in ME at that time was that a moose could be gutted but otherwise had to come out whole. Needless to say, most moose hunting was done from the road. Only an idiot got any farther from the road than his winch cable could reach. They've since changed the law, thank goodness.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Another fine example of people who don't hunt writing and voting on hunting laws.

~Admiral Yamamoto~

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just find shade, lay out your painters ground tarp and start chopping into pieces. Better to get it out of the sun. Rarely is it cold enough to let it lay around and age or close enough to get it out whole. I clean it where it lays and get on it as soon as the high fiving is over.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
How far did you drag him to get to that nice open flat place? Mine always hit the dirt on a 45 degree slope in the sagebrush.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's where I popped him.

The one before was on a 45 degree scree slope and I had to drag him 25 yards down to a few pines and tie him off to keep him from sliding 250 more yards.

Conrad101st
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This ones about 11,000 feet in the middle of a huge bowl. He brought his herd through about 10am.

Conrad101st
rnr Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 1minute
175rltw:
Again, boning probably cuts ones pack weight by about 30%. While there are likely some educated individuals on this site, I'd suggest the majority of hunters lack the skills needed to dismember an animal in the field and deliver a clean and palatable product to the table. ... 1Minute

The DOW of Colorado puts out a DVD called 'down to the bone' which teaches you how to do this. It's their way of getting people to get deeper in to hunt. Lighter pack out = you can pack further.

"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?

Sherlock Holmes
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Newbie question here buy hom many knifes does this take to get accomplished? Do you use one or two and keep sharping them or have for or five in the pack?

Deserve's got nuthin to do with it- Willam H Munny
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
One good four inch blade and a field sharpener is all you need.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
139 members (10Glocks, 2UP, 300_savage, 257 mag, 160user, 35, 12 invisible), 1,825 guests, and 832 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,778
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.