Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Digs Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Got the Appy Trails Mk V today, still waiting for the stove jack and pipe from Ti Goat.

First impressions:

1. Small and light. I can believe the claimed 2 lb 10 oz weight. In the sack it is about the size of a roll of french bread.
2. Easy setup, Took less than 5 minutes first time out of the bag. I did cheat and read the instruction on the website a few days ago.
3. Seems pretty stable. We have 10 - 15 mph breezes tonight and it stands up solid. It could be tough for one person to set up in a strong wind though.
4. Pretty well made. All seams seemed tight.
5. Breaks down and packs up quick. I had it back in the bag in a few minutes, and that's with a 4 year old and 2 year old helping
6. Possible modifications, other than a wood stove. Add a zipper to the door, add a few more velcro tabs to the foot vent for more secure closure, add a small fabric loop near the peak to hang a candle lantern or LED light from.

Sam at Appy Trails was very helpful. We traded e-mails and played phone tag for a few days last week, but he called me back Friday night after normal business hours. I gave him my credit card info and he sent it by priority mail on Monday morning ($9.30). He even sent me an e-mail to tell me it was on the way. The tent actually arrived at my office Wednesday but I was out and didn't get it until today.

All in all a pretty good buy for $120, can't wait to test it out.

See the pics below for additional comments:

[img] http://www.flickr.com/photos/28183299N07/3617864701/ [/img] Packs up Small
[img] http://www.flickr.com/photos/28183299N07/3617860985/ [/img] Pitches tight to the ground. The front wall is pretty steep but the instructions do say to pitch it tail end to the wind.
[img] http://www.flickr.com/photos/28183299N07/3618684264/ [/img] I like this, the doors can be left open lean too style on a warm night or to watch the rain.
[img] http://www.flickr.com/photos/28183299N07/3617864383/ [/img] Screened vent at the foot with weather flap secured by velcro
[img] http://www.flickr.com/photos/28183299N07/3617863915/ [/img] Screened vents at the peak, also with velcro flaps
[img] http://www.flickr.com/photos/28183299N07/3618679588/ [/img] peak vents from the outside, they have some type of foam rubber in them to keep them arched open
[img] http://www.flickr.com/photos/28183299N07/3617861929/ [/img] Alminum pole stands up to the the boy test, and the boys like it.
[img] http://www.flickr.com/photos/28183299N07/3617860259/ [/img] seems are double stitched
[img] http://www.flickr.com/photos/28183299N07/3617863477/ [/img] I'm thinking of putting the stove jack in the right front door flap. I'll decide after the pipe gets here
[img] http://www.flickr.com/photos/28183299N07/3617903255/ [/img] Perfect for two adults and a stove, a little tight for three with a stove but in an emergency I could get the whole family in and warm. It says 5 man but 2 of them better be under 4'
[img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/28183299N07/3618680252/[/img] rear view, kinda shows how tight it pitches to the ground

BP-B2

Digs Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I'm not sure why the pics dont show in the thread but if you click the links they take you to FLICKR where they are hosted

T
T
Digs,
I recently picked up the same shelter... very good by from what I can tell so far. I am curious to know about the stove jack addition that you are planning, and if you want to exchange some ideas just let me know as I am thinking of doing the same mod.

Regards,
T-

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I'd like to be in on the info also, as I just purchased a 5 man as well.

Digs Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I have built the stove but I have been away to much this week to get the jack installed. I might get it in this weekend, if not it will be next week. I'll post some pics when it's done. -Digs

IC B2

Digs Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I got the stove jack in place this weekend. I decided to place it in one of the doors so the stove would be in front of the pole. That way i have room to sleep 3 people behind the pole without getting sleeping bags to close to the stove. For now i just sowed the 4 corners of the jack on by hand. When i have time i'll do the rest on a machine. I also want to add another stake point in the middle of the door to hold it tighter. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
[Linked Image]
Stove made from a Stainless Flour canister i found at Target for $10. And my old white gas stove nests inside.

[Linked Image]
Stove in action. Took about 40 minutes to boil the cup. I need to redo the little tabs that support the cup. they actually hold it up off the stove a little and slow down the boil time.

[Linked Image]
Ti Goat stove jack installed in the door flap. I only sowed the 4 corners for now. Also, I need to add a stake point at the bottom center of the door to hold the door tighter.

[Linked Image]
I installed it so the stove would be in front of the pole leaving room for three to sleep behind the pole.

Digs Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I also figured out why the pics in the first post didn't show up so i am reposting some of them for anyone that cares.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Nice job.

I had mine up yesterday in a thunderstorm, and the pole bent from the wind and nearly collapsed the tent. It wasn't really that much wind either, not for what we can get sometimes.

I think it could use a stronger pole, and it needs a number of more grommets around the perimeter to hold it down tight. Further, I think it needs at least one guy out line on each long wall, or maybe two, in order to really tension the walls enough to make the wind slide over.

Digs Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I am a little worried about the pole also. It flexes like crazy when you tighten the front rope. I carry a couple of adjustable steel poles in my truck but i am still trying to decide what to do for backpacking. I hate the idea of tieing off to a tree, i have seen to many big branches fall in the woods. And if you're there, a tree falling in the woods definately makes a sound.

I plan to add a few grommets, at least one per door and maybe at the mid points of the walls.

Additional stake out lines might be a good idea to. The question is how far along the length to add them and how high up the wall?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I think if the pole was simply made the thicker size as it is at the bottom half, it would be fine. Mine bent right where the thick and thin halves come together. It is more than an inconvenience, as once the pole gets "shorter" the tent walls lose tension, and thus their ability to shed wind/rain.

I was going to try guy outs about 18-24" up the wall from the bottom. Grommets need to be added to both front doors, one in the middle of the rear, and a couple more along each side to really make it bomb proof.

IC B3

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Great looking stove Digs! Any idea what it weighs?

“Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.” -Francis Chan

Down Quilts : www.locolibregear.com/gear.html
Blog : www.walkingwiththeson.com

Digs Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks George. I would guess around two pounds including the stove pipe. Haven't weighed it yet. I'll post when i have a chance to weigh it.

J
J
Interesting topic as I have a an AT Mark V on order also. Refrencing the pole strength have you checked with Doug at TiGoat? He sells adjustable carbon poles and aluminum poles for his Vertex tipis and seems to have pretty good luck with them. Wondering if that would make the tipi more bombproof. Looking forward to gettting mine as I also ordered a small TiGoat stove and stove boot to install. Probably not as tough as my Kifaru 6 man tipi and medium stove set-up but lighter and less money for those quick 3 day September archery season elk jaunts here in Idaho.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
[quote=DakotaDeer]I think if the pole was simply made the thicker size as it is at the bottom half, it would be fine. Mine bent right where the thick and thin halves come together. It is more than an inconvenience, as once the pole gets "shorter" the tent walls lose tension, and thus their ability to shed wind/rain.[unquote]

Contact me and I'll send you a new pole to play with. I think the problem is that, if you draw the lines too tight, you get some bowing in the center pole. Then if a wind develops it has no flex left to play with. I think of it like a shock absorber, able to flex some and keeping some of the pressure off of the stakes and fabric.

If you figure out the best places for side tieouts send me some pictures. I will incorporate those into the next generation...

Sam
and "Appy Trails, to you..."
Digs Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Took the tent out last weekend and tried it out with the stove. We had a hard freeze one night while up above 10,000 feet. The stove kept the tent warm.

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
699 members (160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 72 invisible), 2,801 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,825
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.