Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Fellas:

Does anyone have any experience with Martini & Hagn? I don't understand riflestock design enough to understand what makes Ralf's stockwork so well regarded so if anyone can explain it to me I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Jeff

GB1

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Imagine a wood stock with inletting so tight no bedding compound is needed. The barreled action will slide into stock without any resistance and when it bottoms out the fit is perfect. When the barreled action is pulled from the stock it almost makes a sucking sound (exaggeration.) The amazing thing is the amount of work that goes into what is never seen below the wood line. On the outside the corners are crisp and the symmetry is perfect. The finish on the wood is perfect and the grain will appear to have depth to it. The checkering will be perfect with no over-runs and both sides will be in perfect alignment. The grip geometry will be right and little things that hardly ever get noticed like how the grip cap meets the wood will amaze you. You'll find little things for years to come that will impress you and sometimes you'll enjoy pulling the rifle out of the safe and admiring it's workmanship in between seasons .

These are just a few things that you can expect when you hire a top tier rifle builder like Martini & Hagn. None of this is nessasary but it sure is nice. To me hunting with a nice rifle adds to the enjoyment of the hunt.

Terry

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I think that it is Martini only now. I believe Hagn has gone on to other things.
Butch

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Ralf Martini and Martin (Adolf)Hagn no longer work out of the same shop but are still loosely affiliated. Ralf's stock design and execution is essentially Hagn's but with the work done by Ralf. Ralf does an excellent job of producing these stocks. Martin is quite merciless when criticizing another's work and finds precious little to criticize on Ralf's stocks.
I've not seen a sub-standard stock work from either man. Given the pride they take in their work, it's not likely I will.
When one purchases one of these stocks, he is paying a reasonable wage for the hours spent to produce it. That's what makes them worth that much. That and the quality of the work. In addition, they are a limited production item. Ralf can only produce so many stocks so there is an aspect of exclusivity in owning one.
When it comes to stock design, it is what it is. One either likes a particular style or he doesn't. I find these easy to like. GD

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
So, how do they shoot? Aren't they just glorified Ruger actions?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Reloder28
So, how do they shoot? Aren't they just glorified Ruger actions?

There's a fella here that owns one and regards it highly. His report indicates it shoots quite well. No, it ain't a glorified Ruger action. Not that there's anything wrong with the #1. The M&H is a few steps above the Ruger and at least a step above the Dakota 10. Butch Searcy puts together a dandy falling block too. I'd love to examine BS and M&H actions side by side.

<<<<<<<<<<<SPACE FOR RENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have heard it said that the Dakota 10 is a great example of modern technology, while the Hagn is a fantastic example of hand-made old-world technology. I'm no expert but if I was going to have an ultimate falling block it would be a Hagn.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by RickF
I have heard it said that the Dakota 10 is a great example of modern technology,

Agreed. Isn't it strange how modern technology has yet to substantially improve a design by John Browning that is well over 100 years old ?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
W
W
I live in the same city as martin he shoots at our range and Ihave see his guns with factory amo open sights shoot 1/2 groups at 100 meters one was 300 h&h with his action with a krieger barrel I think most if not all his guns have kreiger barells the othe one was a 375 h&h and it would shoot 1" 100 meters with open sights and the man that was shooting them I did not know but he had montana plates on his truck. they were just setting up the front sight on the riffles but boy did they shoot lights out. I could only imagine what handloads would be like with khals scope or sworvo or topend leupold on one of guns and the stock were just perfect.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hagns are CNC machined by Hartmann & Weiss[Germany] and hand finished to the highest degree in Ralfs shop.
Hagns ARE the ultimate FBR.
One can throw their money in Ralfs direction and be totally confident of receiving a fine product designed for hunting use.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I could spend hours looking at the Martini & Hagn website. Beautiful examples of the Master gunsmith at work.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (1234, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 1OntarioJim, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 71 invisible), 2,387 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,665
Posts18,455,794
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.