Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
28lx Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Looking for a good heavy duty red dot for my 460 any suggestions?

GB1

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I use a Holosight on my 460 and 500. I also use one on my Alexander Arms Beowulf. The guy who runs AA told me the Eotech Holosight was the only optic the Beowulf hadn't trashed in their testing. I've never had any trouble with any of mine on the weapons listed above or on 454 Casull, 460 Rowland, and slug guns.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a custom Super Redhawk in .475 Linebaugh. It is lighter in weight, has no break, and kicks considerably harder than any .460 I have shot even with heavy loads. The one red dot-type sight I would recommend is the Ultradot (www.ultradotwest.com). The Ultradot 30 I have is only 4-ounces in weight, comes with a lifetime warranty, and has withstood thousands of full-tilt .475 Linebaugh rounds without a hiccup. It has even fallen out of a 12-ft ladder stand with no issues. Best of all, they are $145.00 shipped. Fantastic bargain! I have a good friend with Ultradots on his BFRs in .475 Linebaugh and .45/70 and they have put up with virtually thousands of rounds. Personally, I would look no further for your .460.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Aimpoint is the best red dot period.

Proven dependable and excellent customer service.

Longest battery life (best LED), zero paralax, best waterprofing.

Some of these new sights on the market have less than sterling reputations for durability and the Eotech is one of them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Aimpoint's are fine red dots and they cost a bundle. My issue with them is not only the cost, but they don't seem to handle the recoil of some of these bigger revolvers and I am not talking about a heavy X-frame with a muzzle break.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
IC B2

rnr Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Whit, I tried an Aimpoint on my XVR and it blew out in 3 rounds. Tried a Leupold and it only took one shot. I don't think I put them on loose or anything. I used 2 rings w/ the Leupold, but that should have been enough.

Anyway the Ulatradot sounds pretty good. 'Specially at $150. Do you do anything special on mounting them? Anything else you special??

thanks.

"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?

Sherlock Holmes
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I am to agree with Whitworth here. I have and use Ultra-dot red-dots on all my heavy recoiling handgun, from 475 Linebaugh to 500 Mag, never a problem. I killed an Aim-point on my 500 Mag.

I don't do anything special in mounting the Ultra-dot except I use Warne, Leupold or Widgeon rings on them. I have 6 of them on handguns. I also have one EOtech on my BFR in 45-70.. But Ultra-dot is the only red-dot I really trust on my big bore handguns.. I have used them from 2000 to now and never a problem.

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Life member of the NRA
Endowment Member of the NRA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I too need to give this some thought about scopes for my .460 S&W!!! If my eyes get any worse, I won't need to shoot over 50 yards and that means the 44mag will handle the hunt possiblly.

I too often wonder, what is out there that will take the recoil of that hand-cannon. I hate the thought of adding aditional weight to the pistol but sometimes you got to go with what gets the best results.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I was surprised and disappointed to see that the Ultradot is a tubed sight much like the Aimpoint and others. I really don't like that style of sight as it just does not provide the immediate and easy sight picture that the Eotech's do.

Regardless of what some think of the Eotech, our special forces do apear to like them and I often see them on the weapons they chose to preserve their lives and the lives of their comrades. A higher and more meaningful tribute cannot be obtained.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, 7 invisible), 1,435 guests, and 741 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,675
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.