Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I did a search and did not find much. Does anyone here have any field time behind the Leupold 2-7X28 ultralight VXII? I am looking to mount it on a lightweight rifle and am looking to save weight where I can.

I am looking for a variable in roughly this power range and the lighter the better.

Thanks,
MackaySagebrush

Here is an obligatory pic just for giggles.
[Linked Image]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

BP-B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
From my limited comparisons the 2.3 ounce weight savings over the regular 2-7x33 is more than offset by the decrease in friendliness in eye relief characteristics.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
The 2-7x33 is much more user friendly?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
MacKay,
I've run the 2-7x28 for quite a few years (probably 6 years or so) on my .270 Win and shot sheep, deer, and antelope with it. Mine is the older version that they used to call the Compact. I used it on an unsuccessful goat hunt last year as well. I personally love the scope and have never had any issues with it. It is tough as nails, holds zero well, and tracks as good as any other Leupold I've had. However, if you search back far enough you'll find other threads where many other people weigh in on its lack of eye relief and other terrible maladies. I guess I would say that if you're not prone to having eye relief issues with other scopes, then the smaller ultralight will work well for you. If you are prone to those problems, then I'd take the advice of others and steer clear of it.
Test

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Test summed it up pretty well. Those who like that scope tend to be devotees. For me even with experimentation in mounting et cetera it's just much quicker and easier to "get behind" other Leupolds (or even other scopes with less eye relief such as one generation old Nikon Monarchs) than it is for Leupold Compacts or Ultralights in the 2-7 and 3-9 ranges. Different strokes I guess.

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Test, that too is good info to know. It will go on a lightweight AR I just completed, so due to latitude in mounting options I can probably get the eye relief settled down.

The gun is a 6.8 SPCII chambered AR and will be an all around, lightweight field gun. I have a large scope (IOR Valdada 4x14)mounted on it now for accuracy testing, but need an appropriate lightweight optic that has enough Xs to hit smaller targets at medium range, yet be light enough to keep with the intent of being a small, easy to carry rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
It will go on a lightweight AR I just completed,

AR15 qualifies as a lightweight rifle? Looking at the specs, I don't think there is an AR that can compare to a Kimber 84, Remington titanium etc. On rifle like that, or any lightweight rifle, IMHO it is hard to beat the VXIII 2.5-8x36 for length, weight, eye relief etc. Good all around package.

(Don't mind the my comments about the AR. I'm just a frustrated jealous Canadian that can only legally shoot ARs at a registered range.)

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'm just a frustrated jealous Canadian that can only legally shoot ARs at a registered range.

But you feel much safer, right? grin

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by AB2506
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
It will go on a lightweight AR I just completed,

AR15 qualifies as a lightweight rifle? Looking at the specs, I don't think there is an AR that can compare to a Kimber 84, Remington titanium etc. On rifle like that, or any lightweight rifle, IMHO it is hard to beat the VXIII 2.5-8x36 for length, weight, eye relief etc. Good all around package.

(Don't mind the my comments about the AR. I'm just a frustrated jealous Canadian that can only legally shoot ARs at a registered range.)

I'm sure the lightweight AR is just a relative term comparing his AR to average AR's.

Like this one of mine...

[Linked Image]

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman
I'm just a frustrated jealous Canadian that can only legally shoot ARs at a registered range.

Oh definately! All my guns are locked in the safe. I'm supposed to call 911. Sometimes the world is just backwards!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AB2506
Originally Posted by mathman

Oh definately! All my guns are locked in the safe. I'm supposed to call 911. Sometimes the world is just backwards!

Obama likes Canada, right? Be afraid! (Actually Canada, at least western Canada is very nice (Alberta is very American), just got screwed over by the eastern liberal lefties that blame a tool instead of the deranged operators.)

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Gmoney,
is that a Clark carbon fiber fore end? I am using a Clark on one of my builds.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Mackay...

Really not sure...

White Oak screwed it all together for me. He didn't want to contour the barrel as small as I wanted it so we compromised. He threw in a carbon fiber floater at no cost...

Not sure what it is or what he carries.

How much does your lightweight rig weigh? Lightweight was the primary purpose with the build shown above and it fits the bill nicely...

- Greg

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Gmoney,

It is funny you say that about WOA. The build I need this new optic for is a 6.8, but I am almost done with a lightweight .223 build. The only thing left to do is have my 16" midlength WOA barrel turned down. I wanted a pencil barrel profile, but what I recieved was not quite what I had intended so it is going to the smiths. The .223 WOA midlength will have a Clark carbon fiber tube.

As far as weight goes, the 6.8 is right at 6 pounds before optics. It is currently wearing a huge piece of glass for ammo selection testing, then will recieve something appropriately sized for the LW nature of the project.

The .223 build should be a couple of ounces less hopefully. I already have the optic waiting. It will wear a 4x ACOG in a Larue mount.
It is crazy the kind of $$ that can be dropped on obsessions like ARs, optics and coyotes.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I hear that...grin...

I could go easily over a pound less with the one shown above changing out mounts and glass.

For open country doggin, a 50mm objective sure is a nice thing. This is the only rig of mine that will ever get more than a 40mm.

I'm thinking the above rig is no more than 8-8 1/2 pounds but this is just a guess when comparing them to my bolt gun weights. Plenty easy to carry around all day no doubt.

White Oak sure builds a helluva rifle no doubt. My .223 is 1:7". I "experimented" with another builder on my 6x45 upper. WOA will get my business forever I imagine. Bummer about your barrel profile. I was arguing to the tune of hundreds of an inch when we were discussing this over the phone...grin...

So I trimmed it to 18" and added a carbon fiber to make the weight I wanted...

Show us the new rig when complete will ya?

- Greg

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I have heard nothing but good things about WOA. The 6.8 is complete, minus appropriate optic. Between postings just now I just ordered a 2.5-8x36 VX3 and a 4-12x40 VX2. I was fighting my head over switching some stuff around on guns to get the desired combos and just said "screw it" and ordered both. Like I said, it is crazy the $$ we will drop when it comes to our obsessions.

BTW, what scope do you have on your AR?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You will like the 2.5-8x36. I stand corrected. If your AR15 is 6lbs, it is lightweight.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Believe me, I have some heavy ones as well.

The heavy ARs are great for punching tiny groups and rockchuck/ground squirrel/varmint hunting. I have one that runs 11.5 pounds with an IOR 2.5x10 on it and it is a sweet shooter but no fun to pack very far.

The light ones are better for calling song dogs where there is a lot of walking involved. When it comes to calling equipment, lighter is better in my book.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have 2 of the 2-7x28's, one on a Ruger 77 RL .250 Savage and the other on a T/C TCR .375/06 JDJ. I love the size of these scopes on compact rifles. The one on the T/C MIGHT have cost me a bear on my first and so far only Maine bear hunt. The bear showed up at the bait at 8:05 pm, while I was waiting on the guide to pick me up. Even though I had sent this scope back to have the German #4 reticle installed, it was so dark I couldn't tell his head from his ass and could just barely see the reticle. I know I could have hit him at 25 yards but the question was where I would hit him. So, the one and only bear I saw in a week of hunting (and a big bear from what I could tell), lived to see another day. I'm still haunted by that episode but in all honesty, I'm not sure a "bigger" or "brighter" scope would have made much difference as dark as it was. Still, one has to wonder. Aside from that though, I love these little scopes and will continue to use them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here are three previous threads along this line. And in some of my posts in them you'll find other links to other previous posts. I don't know how many of them might be duplicates, but now you have some pointers.

HERE
HERE
HERE

Campfire Pistolero x2

Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else. -Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
336 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 33 invisible), 2,093 guests, and 929 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,729
Posts18,400,838
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.