-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What you want is an M-4 clone with the 16" barrel, flattop and possibly the rail system handguards. The latter is dependent upon how custom you want to go. You may as well get a Colt. There are lots of good brands that will do you just as well as Colt, but why not? I like a simple gun. Right now mine has iron sights and an EOTech type holo-sight. You may want a scope.

I'd get a second upper in 6.8 for hawgs, as the others have said. Or just get two guns.

Get the Magpul mags for extras. They're the best.

I've owned probably half-a-dozen Colts since 1982 and three Olympics. I've had no complaints about any except a few FTE's from a current M-4 I've got. That's a pretty good record though.

GB1

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
You guys won't believe the luck i experienced this morning in court. One of my witnesses, from NC, is an avid AR fan and has over 20 in his collection. I told him of this thread and what I was attempting to do. My client, who prevailed today, owes me about 1380 to bring his bill final. The witness friend said that because of today, I was to put my wish list together of what I wanted built and if I waived his buddy's remaining fee, he'd build a custom beauty to my specs at no further cost to me.

Now, being the excitable fool I am, I have to go through all these threads again and again to pick out exactly what I want on my soon to be AR.

I think I'm leaning towards being able to change the barrels unless you guys send me in another direction.

He also said I could have one of his 5.56s and then we could build a AR just for hunting the bigger game if I wanted,like a 308.

So many awesome options for a dumbass who has no clue what he''s doing!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Isaac, I was in your shoes a couple months ago and probably still don't know as much as has been dispensed here now but..ended up with a RRA Predator Pursuit with a 20" barrel, match trigger. Shot it for the first time the other day with some Black Hills 52-gr HP and it shot sub-MOA. My focus is on coyotes in the winter and not two-legged invaders but it probably would deter them anyway.

Sounds like you hit on a good arrangement and will be fixed up shortly.

Tod Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Whatever you end up buying, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. ARs are fun, and easy to customize in a zillion varieties. It's the lego of guns!

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
It's the lego of guns!
++++++++++++++++++++++

I'm learning very quickly that is a fact!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It can't and won't stop at one..............you have been assimilated! Bwahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaa!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
After this thread, I'm concerned you may be right.

One question...I forgot the exact terminology from this morning but the AR in his trunk had a suppressor on the end of the barrel.His is welded on to a barrel about 11.5 inches if that seems right.. What's that all about? He says he gets a huge fireball coming out his rifle and it is very loud. So, WTF is the reason to have that on your AR?

William Arthur Ward

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

"I think I'm leaning towards being able to change the barrels switch uppers unless you guys send me in another direction."

Fixed.

No need to lean. As long as the lower has the same action size, its no problem.

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Thank you, Bend. I'm getting there!

William Arthur Ward

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Reason to have that is because you are stupid.... Actually its legal barrel length, being minimum of 16 inches IIRC, and why would you not want a real barrel and rifling that whole distance, why shortchange yourself?

If an NFA weapon, then I could see the shortness but would not add a 6 inch long hider to it...

Just my take on it, its purely a bling thing and you see that too often on ARs, like the quad rail float tubes... dang...

You stumbled into a good deal if the build(s) are good you'll be really happy.

Consider money wise, that while an AR15 will never be the same power as an AR10 platform, don't forget that uppers for the AR15 in 6.8 spc, 7x62x39, 458 socom, 50 beowufl, 450 marlin and such, and other wildcast, give the 15 versatility that won't end. Including a 22 lr upper.

That being said I own my first AR10 lower and its destined for a 260 AI and either 338 Federal or 358 Win at some point in the future....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
I didn't like how your reply started....grin...but I figured it out. I see what you're saying.

I'm a pretty quick study and I just may have a lot of fun along with the education I'm receiving here. Just might end up with a beaut, as well.

For that....thanks to all of you.

William Arthur Ward

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Some light reading. sleep

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Just added to my favorites.

Thank you!

William Arthur Ward

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by isaac
I didn't like how your reply started....grin...but I figured it out. I see what you're saying.

I'm a pretty quick study and I just may have a lot of fun along with the education I'm receiving here. Just might end up with a beaut, as well.

For that....thanks to all of you.

As usual in a hurry, probably wasn't totally clear on that. Of course if you didn't know bling crap doesn't mean squat to me. I can get along just fine in most any circumstance with irons on out to WAY on out there, lets just say I have zeros to 1000 with some of my iron AR15s... so I don't see the use for a lot of extra stuff, and to be held back to a 16 inch tube but NOT use it for more MV, and to gain a fireball, well thats plain stupid to me. Doesn't mean I wouldn't use a flash hider if it worked or a solid bottom one as it acts like a brake and I can get more rounds off with less rise....

BUT I have a fairly extensive background shooting the AR and managed to do decently in the games... makes me fairly confident...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Have to admit when I first read "suppressor" I was not thinking flash hider......I read too fast sometimes.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
5 inch would be a short suppressor... but I do the same quick reading/typing all the time...

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
"Just my take on it, its purely a bling thing and you see that too often on ARs, like the quad rail float tubes... dang..."

grin

Of course not everyone wants an Omish AR either...

That's the beauty of them, you can set them up however you want them.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just to clarify...If you have him build you a true 308 Win. then you are talking an AR-10 platform as opposed to an AR-15. The AR-10 is significantly bigger and IMO in most incarnations is more "battle rifle" than "assault rifle" to play fast-and-loose a bit, with those terms.

Nothing wrong with an AR-10, but it is bigger. The AR-15 is certainly perfectly capable of a .30 caliber cartridge or more as the 50 Beowulf proves that, but the cartridge itself needs to be shorter and will have a resultant decrease in velocity. This is where the whole idea for the 6.8 comes in.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Have a 6mm off the 6.8 case.... like that one too... so yeah the 6.8 is ok too. But then its 277 and I dont' like that caliber personally, would take a 6.5 grendel over that...

TWR, yep you can put blades on and drop it etc... as they say. And that is the TRUE beauty of the system, even if I don't see the need for spinners and such, everyone can have their way... once brownells put out an AR only catalog... that opened many eyes to the absolute ton of parts available.. a far cry from the first flat top I ever saw... an A1 vietnam era, no FA, cut off the carry handle and epoxied/screwed a generic weaver base to the top.....

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
Just to clarify...If you have him build you a true 308 Win. then you are talking an AR-10 platform as opposed to an AR-15. The AR-10 is significantly bigger and IMO in most incarnations is more "battle rifle" than "assault rifle" to play fast-and-loose a bit, with those terms.

Nothing wrong with an AR-10, but it is bigger. The AR-15 is certainly perfectly capable of a .30 caliber cartridge or more as the 50 Beowulf proves that, but the cartridge itself needs to be shorter and will have a resultant decrease in velocity. This is where the whole idea for the 6.8 comes in.
++++++++++++++++++++++

I understand. I think I will stick with the AR-15 platform for the reasons you cite in your reply.

Thanks for the thought,Cole.

William Arthur Ward

Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

241 members (358WCF, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 280shooter, 204guy, 35 invisible), 1,944 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,160
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.