-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
What is the best subsonic ammo to shoot out of a 22" barrel bolt action .22LR rifle? I have been shooting hundreds of rounds from my Beeman R-7 with no noise complaints. I can't see why Subsonics would be any different.

thanks

Coop

GB1

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
CCI CB Shorts.

If not them, then Eley .22 Subsonic LR hollow points, or the same from CCI.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
CCI CB Shorts.

There quiter than a pellet gun by a long shot.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by passport
CCI CB Shorts.

Yep.

And, if they shoot accurately in your rifle, they kill FAR better than they should.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by passport
CCI CB Shorts.

Yep.

And, if they shoot accurately in your rifle, they kill FAR better than they should.

I have a 512X that groups them in about 1/2 inch at 25 yards, lost of stuff has been turned into an angle with that rig..

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
IC B2

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
I've got an old Winchester Model 60A that does that well at 75 yards................ ridiculous for the number of rounds down that tube.......... and there's no telling how much stuff has been laid low by it.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I agree with what VA said...I used to use them for shooting blackbirds around here and you can shoot one and the one right next to the one you just shot would watch his buddy fall to the ground stone dead....they're fun.
I can watch the bullet in my scope too fly towards the unsuspecting targets, part of the fun.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've been using CCI CB longs (same load as the short, only with a long case) for squirrel eradication in a semi-suburban setting with outstanding results. Quiet, accurate, lethal.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
CB long and shorts (CCI) have the same ballistic properties, but longs will probably shoot more accurately from a LR chamber. It has been my experience anyway.

Ran some very informal and unscientific sound meter tests awhile back with them versus the CCI sub sonic LR ammo. Noise levels at 10', perpendicular to the bore, were within a few Db of each other. The sound from the CBs is more a function of barrel length (expansion ratio) than the round. They still make a loud pop from a pistol barrel.

I have found the CCI CB short very accurate and useful from a short chambered rifle. 50 yards from a rest:

[Linked Image]

They are, despite their "feeble" velocity, quite lethal:

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BBQ!!!!

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I've been using CCI CB longs (same load as the short, only with a long case) for squirrel eradication in a semi-suburban setting with outstanding results. Quiet, accurate, lethal.

+1 on quiet, accurate and lethal. I thin my back yard squirrel herd regularly with this load.

Sam......

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I tried the WW Subsonic HP (Australian) this past Sunday indoors. It's one of the most quiet regular .22 LR loads I've used. It will probably not cycle some semi-autos.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have a box of Remington CBEE that is so quiet that I shot a gopher in the front yard while my wife was talking to a neighbor
lady in the street and neither one heard anything.
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I keep at least a box of CCI CB's on hand at all times. I used them not five miles from downtown Houston to thin the flea infested squirrel population on a regular basis. Neighbors never complained, I guess they were just used to 9mm, 40 and 45 shots and probably never heard the CB's.

I moved away from Houston and live in the County too, but we are not legally allowed to shoot in the neighborhood because plots are less than 10 acres. The CB's are mandatory for squirrel, coon and possum control.

Just yesterday I was standing at the back door looking at some great tomatoes in the garden when I noticed two squirrels hauling ass with tomatoes bigger than their head. Only picked off one, but the other won't live long.

No way could I get away with the crack of a spring piston air rifle, legal or not they are too loud and accuracy is pretty poor for less than 500.00.

My Cooper 57 and Rem 580 both shoot the CB's great.

Dave

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dang...sorry I missed this post. I use the CB shorts (want to try the longs sometime too). My rifle now, was my granddads, it's an OLD .22 mossberg US 44 bolt action. I use to do alot of wildlife damage management for a state fish and game agency and for me there were no better combos then those CB shorts and that mossberg. Super quite urban area nuiscence animal slayers, I would even pack that big ol' horse of a gun up into attics with squirrels or raccoons running amok and it was just a pin point one shot drop with those CB shorts. In fact, my wife snipes rabbits out of the garden which is about 20 yards away from the house, and I can't even hear her when she does it.
Fun Stuff,
LNF150
LNF150

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes they are not easy to find, but Acorn .22 cb caps are just about the quietest ammo I ever shot including all the suppressed .22. They come in a hundred round snuff can size container. I have killed jackrabbits out to 75 long passes with them. (witnessed by the way). Acorn is from RWS, the ammo might be found here.
Try here,

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Using a shorter barrel for my CBs and they are a little bit louder for it, as compared to a 26" barrel, but still less than spring gun noise. 20" barrel FWIW. In that rig the BB/CB caps are seemingly louder than CB shorts and I have no explanation for that. However, at the maximum range I've ever put them to paper, about 30', they shoot bugholes. Wholly unexpected. They smell funny after firing. The BB caps are death on squirrel in the boiler room, the CBs too but they don't fold up quite as quick for me with that round. Added bonus I suppose, they shoot to same POI as the CB shorts....makes life easy.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
CCI Subsonics are quite deadly, but subsonics are still quite loud from even from a 24-inch barrel.

The CB Longs and Shorts, however, sound about like somebody snapping their finger from my old Springfield back door rifle with 24-in. bbl. Me and my kids have been dropping starlings, sparrows and the odd crow out to 25 yards all summer long.

Need to put a scope on it or else get an Encore with a 28-in. bbl. That might be long enough to really make a CCI SS quiet.

For short range pest assassinations the Aguila Super Colibri will do the trick, but their point of impact is very low compared to std. zero and they drop like a turd in a well past about 10 yards.

Last edited by ColdCase1984; 07/19/09.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
My "BSE" (Best Shot Ever) was made with a CCI CB cap. A crow at 125 yards, maybe slightly more. Mostly luck and a lot of Kentucky elevation. The bullet didn't go all the way through, it was so spent.

They're quiet, all right. Longs, shorts, same thing. The longs put the bullets closer to the rifling, the shorts mean you can hold more rounds in a tubular magazine.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

118 members (4xbear, 338reddog, 673, 444Matt, 257robertsimp, 450yukon, 15 invisible), 1,682 guests, and 1,000 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,184
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.