Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
OP Offline
D
I use 100 grain field tips and 100 grain slick tricks. shooting bullet holes through paper at 8 yds with both. Broadheads are shooting about 4 inches higher than field tips at 30 yds. Is there any way to get these closer together??? thanks for any help.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You might try putting weighted washers behind the broadhead...they are the same size of your shaft.

http://www.3riversarchery.com/product.asp?i=5208X

These will make your broad heads slightly heavier and on mark with your field points....probably....worth a try

There are no bad days hunting elk, some are just better.
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
4" is a ton of difference. I don't think washers will work. At that distance you could shoot a 125 grain field points and not be 4" from your broadhead. I would guess you are getting some type of planing with your broadhead......

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Im saying its more of a tuning issue. Paper tuning is ok but there are more precise methods of tuning a bow. Usually broadheads will either shoot to the left or right. Right indicates a weak spine arrow and left indicates a stiff spine arrow. My Monster shoots 362fps thru a chrono and it shoots fixed blades incredibly well.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm with Mark ..tuning problem..

IC B2

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
If you are still getting good groups at all yardages I would just move your pins. If you change anything you are gonna have to sight in anyway. You might also try paper tuning at a farther distance. I've gotten good tears at one distance, backed up and then had a horrible tear.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
4" at 30 yards, just move the rest down a bit. The broadheads will catch a bit more air and cause them to drift a bit high. A very small rest change should have you hitting the same with broadheads and field points.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I agree with centershot. You should try adjusting your rest in small increments.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
10-4 on the rest adjustment. Also try shooting the paper in close to see what it's doing. I like to shoot paper about 5' from the bow as well as 10-12'. The holes may be bullet holes at one distance and tears at another in some cases.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Broadheads fly different... I thought they all did. I just sight in for the real deal.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you get the spine right, then broadheads and field points can hit in the same spot. Makes it really nice to practice.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Try tuning your broadheads to line up with your fletchings. To do this you might need new arrows. Just put the broadhead on the insert when you glue them in and line up the blades with the flecthings. It might be the ticket.

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can't always "tune away" your broadhead differences. Sight in with your broadheads and don't worry about the difference. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My friends all bought slick tricks for a Colorado elk hunt at the advice of the local pro shop. The short profile was supposed to make them fly like a field point. Everyone had tuning issues. Nobody brought them to Colorado, and nobody is using them now. They're a sore issue with them. The President of a big archery company who makes broadheads told me that no fixed blade broadhead will tune well over 260 feet per second. I shoot 298 fps avg with 100 grain Spitfire expandable broadheads. They land exactly as my field points do out to 40 yards, and I've killed dozens of deer with them. Just something to think about, but if your bow is fast, you might not get them to tune anyway.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Your big name archery guy needs to get out and shoot more. Slick Tricks shoot exceptionally well in every bow and at every speed I have shot them at, even over 300 fps. Hence my previous statement, you site in with your broadheads, instead of trying to tune everything to shoot like your field points. You don't hunt with field points. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just picked up my Grizztricks on Friday and was shooting them this past weekend. To be honest, I wasn't expecting them to hit close to where my field tips were hitting. I shot at 20 yards and the arrow hit just a tad high so i shot again and this time I hit almost exactly where my field tips were hitting. I moved back to 30 and 40 yards with the saem results.

A minor adjustment to my sights and now my broadheads are shooting the same as my field tips. I like the way these fly so much I am going to order 3 more packs.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Flinch, the guy I was referring to is the President of NAP, the guys who make Thunderheads, Spitfires, Shockwaves, Razorbaks... 19 Broadheads in fact, and he lives and breathes archery. I know first hand 3 people who could not get Slick Tricks to shoot and have given them away. One went to Tekkan heads, and the other 2 went to Spitfires. The Tekkan guy switched to Spitfires last season. He was an archery pro for Thompson's Sport Shop since back when compound bows were invented. The two of us do all the bow tuning and arrow building and such for our Rod and Gun club. I have shot Muzzy's, Razorbaks, Thunder Heads, Rockey Mountain Razors, and Spitfires in the 24 seasons I've bowhunted. The last 15+ years, I've used Spitfires. I've shot over 60 deer with them, and my best friend Joe has shot over 300 and most have been with Spitfires. A 100 grain head cuts an inch and a half hole and they fly exactly like a field point. Every other broadhead I've ever shot, I've had to tune (except for Razorbaks because they spin). Back then, I had 2 sight bars for my bow: one for field points, and one for broadheads. All of us did, and I'm glad to have a nice expensive Spot Hogg sight with all the whistles and bells that I can leave on my bow.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hey rob p,

Have you had instances of the expanded mechanicals breaking off and leaving pieces of blade in the meat? I shoot rocket steelheads, and can see that happening at close range if you hit bone.

Thanks.

forepaw

"Only accurate rifles (that are light enough to be carried by a middle-aged man in rough country) are interesting"
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by don_reid
I use 100 grain field tips and 100 grain slick tricks. shooting bullet holes through paper at 8 yds with both. Broadheads are shooting about 4 inches higher than field tips at 30 yds. Is there any way to get these closer together??? thanks for any help.

Hi,

Try lower your arrow rest a little until both shoot at the same place.

[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by rob p
no fixed blade broadhead will tune well over 260 feet per second.

I'm shooting 318fps and my 100gr Slick Tricks hit at the same point as my 100gr field tips all the way out to 60yds.

Damn, I wish I had read your post before I made a slight adjustment to my arrow rest, I wouldn't have wasted 10 minutes of my time. Oh well, guess I'll have to stick with my crappy fixed blades.

Edited to add that I was able to accomplish the same thing with 100gr Muzzy's. Damn fixed blades.

Last edited by RyanTX; 07/29/09.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

663 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1973cb450, 65 invisible), 2,990 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,263
Posts18,467,148
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.