Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
2. yeah a 204 will kill coyotes and deer however in my experience mostly with coyotes the varmint style tipped bullets that are available for the 204 will surface splash or explode before penetrating enough to do the job. one thing that also should be evident is there is alot of opinions out there however most guys really haven't shot enough animals to know what they are talking about.

If this is your opinion of .204'd coyotes, I reckon you should heed your own advice in your post.

one thing that also should be evident is there is alot of opinions out there however most guys really haven't shot enough animals to know what they are talking about.

No flame intended but it's obvious you have not shot a lot of coyotes with these tipped bullets.

I have the luxury of not having to guess...

Last edited by GregW; 07/31/09.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
There is no minimum caliber for deer other than no rimfires in Florida which is where I hunt. I asked for results from those that have used the cartridge on deer. I never once asked if anyone thought it was ethical. I don't own a .204 at the moment but if I decide to get one for Coyotes I would also want to be able to use it for other game such as deer. Most deer that suffer needlessly are not caused because of the caliber but the bullet design and/or shot placement. I did not start hunting yesterday. Most on here do not know me personally and have not seen me shoot. SST, you started hunting a year before I was born and about 8 years before I started hunting. I know how and where to shoot a deer. I am quite capable of passing up shots due to the limitations of the equipment I am using. I appreciate the opinions of those that think it too small for deer but do not tell me that you have more respect for the game that I do when you are expressing an OPINION. I guess WDM Bell had less than zero respect for Elephants.

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
Also if everyone would notice I asked about using heavier bullets. I am not talking about using factory varmint bullets. If you will read the link, I am talking about 50 - 60gr custom bullets. It is not the caliber that makes a cartridge a deer round it is the bullet.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
It's about the bullet, a fact that escapes many.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Wonder if you would need a faster twist rate to stabilize those heavier bullets?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been told and read that Barnes has made some .204 TSXs. There was a write up in the Idaho Deer Hunter's newsletter about a guy there that used them on deer. He didn't have any problems...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
.223 is better... grin...

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Steelhead
It's about the bullet, a fact that escapes many.

Thanks Scott, it is amazing how closed minded and oblivious people can be.

To borrow from one of the worst Presidents ever: "It's the bullet, Stupid"

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by pacecars

To borrow from one of the worst Presidents ever: "It's the bullet, Stupid"
Wouldnt be JFK by any chance????? grin

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Tom264
Wonder if you would need a faster twist rate to stabilize those heavier bullets?

Absolutely, my two .204s won't even stabilize the 40 gr. Hornady, let alone anything longer. They are marginal, at best, with the 40 Nosler. Both are factory barrels, of a NOMINAL 1-12" twist, but are probably more like 1-12.5", due to tolerances in barrel making machinery.

I don't think anyone makes a decent "deer bullet" in .20,currently, and don't expect to see one soon, either.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pacecars
Most deer that suffer needlessly are not caused because of the caliber but the bullet design and/or shot placement.

That's the key to pretty much any post when someone asks about such and such caliber for whatever game.

WAY to many people think nothing of using the same box of Walmart cheapo varmint ammo for deer or whatever.

Same thing with a .243 on Elk, not my choice but with the right bullets it's one thing, with a box of 100g PSP that they use on deer or what not, it's just asking for a lost animal.

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've shot a few whitetail does with a 223 and 60gr. Partitions. Shot them right behind the shoulder with very good results. There is some pretty stout bullets in the .224 line up, but I don't think that there are any in the 204 that would be suitable for deer. As others have said it's all about the bullet.

`Bring Enough Gun`
H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
I recall when the 204 came out, I think G&A had a write up and the author shot all kinds of schitt with it, and they weren't guinea pigs, sage rats or mice.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

297 members (300_savage, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 31 invisible), 2,379 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,463
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.