Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
dog hunter is right on
when they are young its best to do the throwing in a hallway so the pup can only come back to you.I use a rolled up sock
you want to "set him up" to succeed ALWAYS end the training on a positive note maybe throw some fun bumpers no commands

GB1

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by slg888
I have a 4 month Lab and Its primarily just a family pet{not for hunting}and was curious why it does not like to fetch?

He will only fetch the ball when I give him treats. I have tried over & over, but as he runs and picks up the ball, he drops it because he is more curious what the damn grass smells like and just loves to sniff the yard,chase lizzards & stares at flying birds. {he eats the freagin lizzarsd when he catches them too. urrr!} But no ball chasing.

The good side is, he listens! Comes when I say, and does not chew household items, sits,lays,swims at the beach,and shakes on command. Just wish he was more interested in fetching. Is it because he's too young,or knows its an endless game? Any opinions?

I do not have a pic of him, but here is his father and they are going to be exactly the same it seems.

[Linked Image]

Have you ever considered that maybe hs is a smart Lab? Why run hard, fetch a toy and bring it back, just for a treat. He gets 3 squares and a hot anyway, so why work?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Calvin
All the lab owners I must know (including myself) must be "lucky".

First off, you ruined him with the treats. Treat training is stupid!

Second, get yourself a good book like waterdog, and buy a shotgun..

It should be a crime to have a lab an not know what the [bleep] you are doing.......

This crew "treat trains their dogs, and they are complete and utter canine magicians when it comes to scenting.
http://sardogsmontana.com/bios
Wibeaux is 2 years old, and Debbie Terminstein uses her not only for search and rescue, water recovery, but also for duck hunting.
I've been around labs all my life, and have seen and hunted over some national Champs.
never EVER have I seen anything like these two!
I've work as a boat pilot for Debbie and her dogs on a recent recovery where two youg fellas drowned , and I can honestly say they are spectacular to watch work.

Ruby, in Preist lake idaho, scented a body that was over 130 feet DOWN!!
That's not the only crazy part - they weren't looking for the one she found!!
http://gralston1.home.mindspring.com/PriestLakeSearch.html
Both ruby and Wibeaux are english Style labs BTW, as well.
If these two are any indication of what treat training produces, I'm all for it.
Sorry for the hijack guys, but training methods tend to vary, and what one person may not believe in, another will applaud!
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (1lessdog, 1minute, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 54 invisible), 2,582 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,564
Posts18,453,755
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.