Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
How did every one make out in the draw? Results are available today.

Jim

BP-B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Both my wife and I were in Pool 2, so not holding my breath. Calves again this year no doubt, but we can shoot 14 deer between the two of us . . . . . . almost makes up for no adult moose. laugh

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Jim,

Maybe, for those of us concerned about getting adult moose tags in Ontario, we should read this: www.ontarioblackbears.com

You could join me in helping to eradicate some of the problem, if you wish...

I have two very active baits in Haliburton Co. Could have more, but need more resident hunters.

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Keith, I am also in pool 2 this year. Through a screw up due to one of our party missing the change in application date we are uncertain about getting an adult tag.

Since I drew a tag last year I did not want to draw a tag by accident in one of the secondary pools so I asked for unit 99Z. Tonight I was rereading the regulations and for the first time noted that they say persons who are in Pool 1 can ensure they remain there by using unit 99Z. A closer reading is not specific about what happens to an applicant who is in pool 2 and who uses this designation. I then phoned in on the automated line and was advised I had not been in the draw. This is what I expected but now am concerned I may remain in pool 2 in 2010.

Will have to wait until Tuesday (due to the Civic Holiday on Monday) to get clarification from the MNR on my situation.

Without an adult tag at least 2 of our party probably do not want to go on a hunt. This is understandable since a cow and calf we got two years ago are the first of each we have seen in hunting season in the last 20 years. We hunt the lakes and do not go near public access cut over areas.

The automated line was so busy this morning I guess the other members of our party couldn't get through to see how they did. Anyway as yet I haven't heard from them.

Have to wait a little longer I guess to see how we have made out.

Jim

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Bob, I read the article and it is quite interesting. None of our party have made a point of hunting black bear other than by looking for them as an incidental quarry. I was nearly at the point of trying them when the spring hunts were cancelled.

I have only tried eating bear meat once and was not too thrilled with it. How well it was prepared I'm not sure. I kind of hate to hunt for something I may not want to eat. I know from reading various threads here on the campfire that many people really like the meat. I can't make a proper judgment based on my limited experience.

Depending upon how we finally make out in getting a tag (see my reply to The Shootist) I may be looking for some alternative hunt this fall. When do you hunt for black bear? I know when the season opens (am assuming you are in unit 56 which opens Sept. 1st) but do you hunt at the beginning or a little later?

In any case I'll have to wait until the first of the week and till I hear from the rest of our party to find out what our plans are.

Your offer is certainly appreciated. Thanks,

Jim

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Just a few minutes ago I got a call from one of our party. He said when he phoned in he was told he was successful in the draw. The unfortunate part is the phone message doesn't tell you whether you drew a bull or cow tag. For this you have to wait for the mail to come I guess.

Since this party member was in the second pool and his first choice was a bull I'm thinking this is probably what he got. Anyway, have my fingers crossed.

Jim

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CZ550
Jim,

Maybe, for those of us concerned about getting adult moose tags in Ontario, we should read this: www.ontarioblackbears.com

You could join me in helping to eradicate some of the problem, if you wish...

I have two very active baits in Haliburton Co. Could have more, but need more resident hunters.

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

Bob, I would be interested in a bear hunt, PM me some details...

brad

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim

Since I drew a tag last year I did not want to draw a tag by accident in one of the secondary pools so I asked for unit 99Z. Tonight I was rereading the regulations and for the first time noted that they say persons who are in Pool 1 can ensure they remain there by using unit 99Z. A closer reading is not specific about what happens to an applicant who is in pool 2 and who uses this designation. I then phoned in on the automated line and was advised I had not been in the draw. This is what I expected but now am concerned I may remain in pool 2 in 2010.

Jim, if you applied before the draw deadline, you will be in pool 1 next year. That's what 99z is for...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by the_shootist
Both my wife and I were in Pool 2, so not holding my breath. Calves again this year no doubt, but we can shoot 14 deer between the two of us . . . . . . almost makes up for no adult moose. laugh

Fill me in. how do you get 7 tags?
You kid brother

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
You buy your first tag which is a buck tag, and apply for the antlerless draw BEFORE the end of July -- apparently you missed that one. Then, after the MNR opens up the additional tags, you buy up to two extra antlerless tags for a total allowed of SIX extra tags but a maximum of two additional tags in any WMU. Stop by the Service Ontario desk in Thunder Bay. I think I either buy your tag for WMU8, or you have to be here to buy it. Nudge, nudge. Wink, wink.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I heard from another member of our party who said he was told he was succesful in the drawing. He was also in the second pool.

We are hopeful that one member of the party drew a bull tag and the other a cow tag. Now we have to wait for the mail to see what they actually got.

Jim

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Have a super hunt, Jim. You still hunting the Armstrong area, or you in the Nippissing area now?

Brother Keith

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Keith, we are still hunting WMU 17 except we are now flying out of Nakina instead of Armstrong. The area we hunt is still the same general area as before just a different launch point.

Going from Nakina reduces our drive time by 4 or 5 hours and at our age this is significant.

The lake we hunt on has been very productive, in the last 3 years we have taken 4 moose and seen others. We don't see a lot but have been successful in taking those we could legally take. A second outfitter also has a cabin on the same lake and their parties have taken moose in addition to those we got.

Sounds like you and your wife will have lots of fun with the deer this year. Do you get any of any size or are they mostly eaters? Locally we have lots of deer but hunting is restricted to shotguns or bow and virtually all of the land is privately owned making access difficult.

Jim

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
We have got several in the last 5 or so years that went near 200 pounds and up a bit. Got one hog that was close to 300, but I prefer the ones that eat a little gentler. Tons around the 125-150 pound mark. That'll do, too. I just like eating wild meat. Got myself convinced it's better for ya. wink

Brother Keith

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Got a cow and bull for wmu #4 , none for wmu#54.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can hunt calf moose anywhere in the prvince this year. yeah!!!
Randy
can you smell the sincerety?

Lester Roloff
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Randy and I used to stay in 4 and hunt in 16A. Them were the days, huh, Randy? More moose than you could count and everyone got a tag. Remembering Dad on those hunts, too. Great times!

Brother Keith

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They were great for sure, and there are still lots of moose and lots of tags up there.

I contacted Pete Kay from Kayair and for about the same price of the Safari, I can hunt a fully guided moose hunt with bull tag for $5000 whoa boy! The whole bunch of us didn't spend 1000 to go in, and out with three moose.
The only good thing about the slowdown of the bush industry, is that the bush will not be hit so hard, and old growth will be protected until the next fire hits.
Randy

Lester Roloff
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I understand there were surplus tags available in many areas this year where there are normally none left after the drawing. Must be a lot of guys backing off due to the economy. Our outfitter says the water levels are high right now. Hope they drop a bit by the time the season opens so there is some shore margin for the moose to wander around on. This seems to make it easier to call the bulls out to the shore.

Jim

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Best of success to your crew, Jim. Hope you put a nice bull in the freezer. Glad to see some of the good guys come up from southern Ont, as there are sure a bunch of wild Italians that frequent my area. You could keep them down at Young and Bloor for all I care. wink

Brother Keith

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
464 members (1Longbow, 160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 46 invisible), 2,088 guests, and 980 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,143
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.