Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How about $0 bottom metal. Go ADL

GB1

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Last I heard Mr. Echols used Burgess BM on his legend rifles. Mr Burgess understood that correct box geometry made for a better feeding rife and prefered an integral box design over the one size fits all approch. If I commisoned such a rifle I would know what I wanted so there would never be a need to go from a .30-06 to a .375H&H. It just wouldn't be an issue.

Everything has it's place and on a topflight custom rifle a Sound Metal Products, Blackburn or Sunnyhill would always get the nod over any steel floorplate sheetmetal box design for my rifle if it's an option. Sometimes it's not an option though. I've used Williams products before and like them. But, like I said everything has it's place.

Terry

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by triggerguard1
I would recommend Sunny Hill for that one.....The bad news will be the sticker shock, but you might have already known that...... wink

GASP!

Yeah.

Well, considering the fact that I paid <$400 for the rifle, I'm kinda thinking I'll look for one of the older model milled units and have my 'smith touch it up. Maybe someday if and/or when I shoot out the barrel and "need" a completely redo on the rifle I'll go this route.

While on their web site I did note that they're now offering a unit for the Mexican SR'98 and I just happen to have a full-ought custom job going for just such a rifle... smile !

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mississippi
How about $0 bottom metal. Go ADL

Saves weight of course,but IMO never a real good idea for a BG rifle.We like to think that our rifles are never gonna jam, or debris will never get into the magazine to foul things up.Both could happen at inconvenient times and I don't want to pry around with jacknives or disassemble the whole rifle to fix things.

And "no",a hinged floorplate won't open and dump cartridges if properly made.....JMHO; YMMV.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
For those willing to understand that what's posted below is meant as just one of those good natured light hearted discussions that happens around a campfire, please read on..

Our entire bottom metal line has a complete and uninterrupted 2 deg. draft around the entire perimeter of the guard,

I'm glad you now have the draft. Is the draft machined @ 2deg while the floorplate mating surface is flat? I don't know. My point being when a floormetal is installed at a 3 to 3 1/2 deg angle the 2 degree draft at the back of the mag well and rear of the guard turns into a minus one. This is much more of an inletting problem when using a Mauser style integral box.
which was only possible to do correctly with a true one-piece.

I apologize to everyone for ever doing this incorrectly. 40 lashes. ouch ooo ow ow ooooooo....... cry

I think if we're going to do a "fair comparison", we should not be talking apples and oranges either.....
The level of polish that you speak of is not being delivered by any bottom metal maker, regardless of price, unless they are completing the entire custom rifle themselves.

There are capable smiths willing to complete the entire custom rifle themselves. My point was some of them are willing to go that extra mile and have clients looking for that level of finish and crispness inside & out. You can't get that out of a vibratory polisher with a little touchup. I know, I have one. Nobody is forcing them where to spend their money. I've the mindset that if all the floormetal customers were exposed to all the options there would be more $ales of those extra miles. You can't buy something that you don't know even exists. Also trying to give some answers to the subject of this thread.
Our polished and blued upgrade is not intended to provide the highest luster possible that would require someone to spend the better part of a day obtaining.
Mine is grin
Again my point of time & materials = $ What advantage is $600 dollar BOTTOM METAL over $150 dollar bottom metal?

You simply cannot completely finish a bottom metal correctly, until it has been inletted into a stock, where the bottom metal and stock are finished as a complete unit.

I would agree with you. When I fit the latch I leave the final fit until after I stock it so there's no rattle between the floorplate and rails.

What we do is simply give a finish that will closely match a factory rifle finish that is closer to Winchester's Super Grade models, though it has always proven to have a higher luster than that.

I think you do a very good job of that. It's just not what I'm trying to do.

There are many folks out there that don't have an endless budget for making good upgrades to their rifles

Most of my clients don't have an endless budget. They just want something that can't be produced for $150.

Blackburn has a notable difference in their bow design, but it's not copyrighted.........

The copyright was done in 1988, under architectural works, works of the visual arts. general visual arts.

There are many clients who like Blackburn's design and are willing to pay for it. It's a free market economy.

While some will place my bottom metal in the "cheap" category, or consider it simply a good value,

Ummmmmmmm who puts the price tag on your product?

I've yet to begin polishing a part for shipment that didn't come straight off my machine with a better finish than has been offered by my competitors as a finished product.

Is this because you have someone else polish those? grin Come on Matt, are you REALLY saying that Sunny Hill's hand polished units don't have better finish than an unpolished one off of your machine? I'd bet that Andy would disagree and might be a little insulted as well.

I'm not going to tell someone they're paying too much for bottom metal, but I'd have a hard time having someone who's worked for me in the past tell me that they were going to spend a day polishing one guard and charging me $350.00 to do it.

Searching....Searching... Sorry, I can't find you on my clients list. When it's your money, you can spend it where you like. That's the great thing about the current world of custom gunmaking. VARIETY

What other bottom metal makers do that will drive up additional costs is the integral box, but that can be a real can of worms at the very least. I've made them, used them, and wouldn't use them again.

They make a slimmer more graceful stock. Which is important to some. They're also the only option for a Mauser. Maybe the prospective client could be persuaded in using a Mauser for their custom rifle they are considering building. It's a lot more work to machine and commands a higher price.

They are far more trouble than any minute amount of benefit they may or may not add.

That's your opinion. Not some point of fact.

Leaving the box out of the equation gives the gunsmith or end user much more versatility on cartridge and bullet selection within a given cartridge.

Indecision is the key to flexability Some clients know what they want. Others are happy to leave their options open.

The only item that you're truly sacraficing is the extra weight of the integral box and nothing more.

Again. This is your opinion. Not some point of fact.

the Mauser 98 have proven themselves all over the world as being amongst the most dependable features available on a rifle

I love that quote.

I'm not here to pick a fight with Matt. He has done a great job producing a good product with a long line of happy customers. I applaud him for it. Wish I could check out his operation and learn something. I just think some of what he has posted here needs to be in the OP-ed column. He has every right to strong opinions about the products that he creates. It is understandable that the more people view these opinions as true Gospel the larger his customer base becomes. Can you blame him? I can't. Just offering my opinion and it's worth every cent the reader has paid for it.

From the link about Legend rifles posted above:
A Williams steel floor-plate and trigger bow is re-machined and cosmetically detailed before installation.
I think this a good example of the difference between $150 and $600. Attention to detail is paid for by the hour.

gunmaker
------------------
Custom Metalsmith & Stockmaker
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by efw
I just picked up an 03-A3 that I simply LOVE to shoot, which means I'm taking a look at some of the less desireable aspects of it and wondering what the heck I'm to do about them.

The #1 stumper is bottom metal.

Just an opinion. There are many milled guards available in very good or even new condition for a reasonable price. The milled 03 guard has that distinctive look of the guard starting the grip curve. A few years ago online I saw pics of a customized 03 action & floormetal where Jim Dubell fit a straddle floorplate and a release in the bow. It kept the Springfield look adding the functionality and class of the straddle hinged plate.

gunmaker
------------------
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I luv you James! I'm still waiting on his custom receivers.
Butch

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm still waiting for a single thread started on this site or any other that involves my bottom metal that your two cents isn't added, along with a sales pitch for PT&G that had to use pictures of my budget bottom metal for their advertising.........

The lack of Kiff's wares in this thread were noted.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'll have some pictures for you to look over this afternoon and then you can tell me where the $350.00 comes from.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm glad you now have the draft. Is the draft machined @ 2deg while the floorplate mating surface is flat? I don't know. My point being when a floormetal is installed at a 3 to 3 1/2 deg angle the 2 degree draft at the back of the mag well and rear of the guard turns into a minus one. This is much more of an inletting problem when using a Mauser style integral box.

I'm amazed at how many assumptions you make regarding our quality, when you yourself have admitted on at least two different occasions to never owning one of our new Oberndorf-style bottom metal assemblies.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I was asking you a question Matt. You didn't answer.

Here's the question again:
Is the draft machined @ 2deg while the floorplate mating surface is flat?

My assumptions were not about quality. Were they? If you set a stock up with the bottom inlet flat then machine the inlet with a 2 deg cutter and not have to inlet the floormetal closer to the action then the draft being machined like in my question is not a problem. If you're stocking from a blank or even a semi inlet and have the barreled action inletted then try to inlet the floormetal into the wood using guide screws it can be a problem.

I still don't know how yours is machined.

Machining the profile of the guard in one shot with a 2degree tool while the guard is flat takes less time & effort than setting the guard up at 3 deg then machining the profile in one shot programming different z values for each line. Changing the tool to a 5 deg and kissing the back of the guard and the wide part behind the magazine also takes more time.

more time & tooling & programming = more money

On numerous occasions I've complimented your products. Your posts about floormatals just seem to imply or blatantly say that every else's floormetals are overpriced or under polished or over complicated and customers are wasting their money if they spend it elsewhere. There's 300 million people in this country and plenty of room for competition.

It's the same attitude I've seen at the range when shooting a custom rifle and someone says "My savage shoots just as good. Why would anyone waste their money on that high dollar custom job?"

It just kind of rubs me the wrong way.

I did have a few of your floormetals in my shop but the client wanted them back and sent a couple of Blackburns. I don't think it was because he thought they were junk or too cheap. He was building a pair of M70s and one was stainless. And he liked the copywrited shape of the Blackburn.

gunmaker
------------------
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Again
I still think the Williams is a good product. Just not the only one.

gunmaker
------------------
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by JRGunmaker
I was asking you a question Matt. You didn't answer.

Here's the question again:
Is the draft machined @ 2deg while the floorplate mating surface is flat?

The answer, which would have been answered had you ever used one of our pieces was YES..............

When speaking of rubbed the wrong way, I know the feeling..............

If you want to compare products and justify why one costs more or less than the other, than I think it would only be fair for you to explain how you are making those assumptions when you haven't used the product.

I can appreciate good craftsmanship and I, along with many others are willing to pay for it, within reason..............That however is the rub.

The bottom metal below does not impress me in the craftsmanship department and the fact that I've seen at least a hundred more that were similiar, leads me to believe that it's SOP to let that kind of work out the door. These parts would be in my chip bin, but they were sold as IN-THE-WHITE.

I could see a guy using up the better part of a day to get that to the level you polished the guards above....Heck, maybe more.

The problem is, with parts that require an extensive amount of rework, filing, and sanding, they should be priced less than me, not the other way around.

Notice the tool marks on either side of the guard screw hole..........
That you will never see on my parts

[Linked Image]

Take note of the mismatch of the machined radius.......That's a scrap part in my shop.
[Linked Image]

Same radius, different angle.

[Linked Image]

In this picture you can see the tool marks that are worse than any nail file I've ever seen and the mismatched radius on either side of the mag well is also very apparent as illustrated above.
Take note of the mismatched surface on the front tang around the guard screw hole that was clearly machined in 3 different passes.

[Linked Image]

If this is what you consider an upgrade from what I manufacture, then we certainly have a different idea of what quality is.

I priced the bottom metal at a rate that I thought was fair and what the market would support. I'm in the business to make money, but I'd rather explain to my customers how I make what I do for the price I charge, than why I charge so much for what I make.

You are right in the fact that it's always good to have choices and competition, but I think that prior to me posting this information, it was also a bit one-sided on "getting what you pay for"....
Just because a person feels compelled to spend more, doesn't mean necessarily that they're getting more.

For the record, there has never been, nor will there ever be a Savage in my stable of rifles.

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Boy, I wish the two of you would quit fussin about this--I have parts/work on order from both of you.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Honestly, I never meant to start a Peter Measuring Match. I'm a guy who works a honest job to put beans on the table and buy "factory loaded ammo" to hunt with. I like to make sure I'm getting quality goods if and when I spend money on a project to make one of my rifles better. That's the reason I started this thread.

Fact is, my whole RIFLE didn't cost but just over $400 bucks so spending more on bottom metal than the entire rifle cost me seemed a bit "out of round" if you will...

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
You're not alone.........There's a lot of guys who don't want to spend that much money on bottom metal, let alone find out later that they could have saved a considerable amount of time, as well as money.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Matt,
In my opinion and it is mine, you didn't do yourself any good with this post. I don't know whose bottom metal you are showing. I'll bet it's not Duane's, Blackburn's, or Sunnyhill's. Does it sell for as much or more than yours. James is a professional custom gunmaker and is well thought of by his brother custom gunsmiths and customers. He asked some pointed questions and he got your goat.
Butch

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You fellas are intense. And I do need bottom metal.

I admire both of you for defending your ideas and work.

Well done.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
+1

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I believe the last pic Matt posted is of a Sunnyhill.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 57 invisible), 2,740 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,035
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.