Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I gotcha! My Mashburn is 8lb's and a couple ounces with a 4.5x14 Meopta on top. We're in the same ballpark.

And yeah, the Featherweight metal doesn't bother me a bit..

Semper Fi
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
So, these fancy bottom plates don't scratch when you lay the rifle on the top wire of a barbed-wire fence when stepping over? Damn, when I could have just used a leather glove instead.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
edmhunter.i have seen your rifle and sen the specs you gave on this site.the man who built it is as good as any winchester gunsmith alive,equal to d,arcy echols and gene simillion in any machining or metalwork.also a better chanberer than either.mark is phenominal and at a lesser price point.williams bottom metal and magazines are excellent.functionality and reliability excellent.i have 2 of marks rifles,one chambered in 300 win mag,the only 300 magnum you would ever need.the other in 375 h&h,both reliable in any condition upside down or sideways.both shoot half inch 5 shot groups with best loads.you own a lifetime firearm,enjoy and great hunting.i have taken game from brown bear to whitetail and many game in between.enjoy your penrod masterpiece.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
I gotcha! My Mashburn is 8lb's and a couple ounces with a 4.5x14 Meopta on top. We're in the same ballpark.

And yeah, the Featherweight metal doesn't bother me a bit..

Yep, right in there. Good weight for that class of rifle. The stock ergo's make all the difference in the world when it comes to mitigating recoil on a non braked magnum rifle. The bottom metal hasn't fallen off during recoil anyways. grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lots of interesting opinions on this thread. All I can add is that the Jerry Fisher/Blackburn rounded bottom metal on my 30-06 makes it noticibly more comfortable to carry all day .

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
IC B2

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I like a steel unit on a hunting rifle. I've had two pot-metal units break on me. A Williams unit is a nice (and worthwhile) upgrade on a 700. Unfortunately, I hear Williams is out of business now.
Bob

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I also have broken a few aluminum trigger guards and am Old enough th to remember the sales hype of aluminum.
Somewhere I still have an aluminum bottom metal from an old Holland &Holland 375 .

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RGK
I like a steel unit on a hunting rifle. I've had two pot-metal units break on me.

What are the details of these two 700 pot-metal units breaking?

I've never had a problem with a properly bedded factory 700 bottom and have never considered replacing them on a Lego Gun custom. Maybe I need to look at other options.

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by RGK
I like a steel unit on a hunting rifle. I've had two pot-metal units break on me.

What are the details of these two 700 pot-metal units breaking?

I've never had a problem with a properly bedded factory 700 bottom and have never considered replacing them on a Lego Gun custom. Maybe I need to look at other options.

One unit was from a Carl Gustav / Husqvarna .30-06 that broke off at the rear guard screw hole. I had Blackburn make me a whole new steel floorplate/triggerguard assembly. The 700 unit broke off the little extension that holds the floorplate closed. I replaced it with a Williams (see above). Steel is usually the way to go. Next one I'll buy is a Sunny Hill, but they're MUCHO expensive. PT&G doesn't seem to have a great rep for quality.

To me, a steel unit is a very nice and worthwhile upgrade.
Bob

Last edited by RGK; 06/26/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RGK
One unit was from a Carl Gustav / Husqvarna .30-06 that broke off at the rear guard screw hole. I had Blackburn make me a whole new steel floorplate/triggerguard assembly. The 700 unit broke off the little extension that holds the floorplate closed. I replaced it with a Williams (see above). Steel is usually the way to go. Next one I'll buy is a Sunny Hill, but they're MUCHO expensive. PT&G doesn't seem to have a great rep for quality.

To me, a steel unit is a very nice and worthwhile upgrade.
Bob

Thanks. For me, the type of FP depends on what type of rifle I want. A lot of 700s are built into a lightweight and thus an aluminum bottom works well enough but I can see how a forged steel bottom would be stronger if weight isn't a concern.

I bought a hinged '09 bottom for a 275 Rigby I had made up. Not lightweight, but well suited for the rifle.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by 458Win
I also have broken a few aluminum trigger guards and am Old enough th to remember the sales hype of aluminum.
Somewhere I still have an aluminum bottom metal from an old Holland &Holland 375 .

My C&H 404J on a P14 action has the same “Durallium” floorplate. I have copies of the H&H advertisements stating it was an advantage!

Mine looks like hell from use!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The loss of Williams products stinks for those not interested in blued steel and termite food rifles.

Which bottom metal maker just got out of the Klink?

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Then, we have the old boomer age Luddite like meself, sold the pre 64 Model 70 factory stocks with bottom metal, whittled out a blind magazine stock similar to the 670. Why did I need ice cold noisy bottom metal, why did I need a hinged floorplate that I NEVER used? Going one step further, I eventually got rid of any form of recoil pad or plate, long known in the muzzleloading trade as a 'poor boy'. Maybe so, but 100% functional with discrete horizontal lines to hold it on the shoulder while stroking the bolt. Hence, I have a couple unusual but not unsightly Mod 70 FWTs which are several ounces lighter than the originals. Slender stocks with understated schnabels are not just for looks...form follows function.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 65 invisible), 2,372 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,544
Posts18,453,334
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.