Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Didn't take much to get your panties in a knot. Go ahead and believe whatever you want.
Butch

BP-B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
PO Ackley said the hottest safe load in the 150grn. 30-06AI was 3150FPS against 3043FPS with conventional loads from the Hodgdon book. He says the advantage with the Ackley is with the larger bullets. With the 180grn bullets the conventional 30-06 with 56 grns of 4350 is 2733 and the Ackley with 4 more grains of powder is 2920. Throat erosion is from heat and blasting the throart with unburned powder.
I reread my thread and can't find where I mentioned any ultra mags.
Butch

Last edited by butchlambert1; 08/07/09.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I use dacron most of the time and stick a bit block of 1/2 inch thick parafin under my reloading bench and after I throw a powder charge of bullseye or some other pistol powder I punch that wad of parafin and I got a loaded round..I put it under the bench so that I don't have t tip the case to get the parafin in it.

There are a lot of ways to accomplish the same thing and they all work, you can just load the ammo with a bullet and shoot it for that matter, just seat the bullet out to almost touching or touching the lands..I have heard this practice discouraged but I have never been told why that is not good, it has been working for years for thousand of us old wildcatters. Just another wad of bunk that was in print, accepted as truth, and reprinted and became accepted by proxy as fact..The gun world is full of such and such BS, I could write a book on silly beliefs especially concerning double rifles, They are comprised of steel, wood and VOODOO!!! smile smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
butchlambert1,

With the 180grn bullets the conventional 30-06 with 56 grns of 4350 is 2733 and the Ackley with 4 more grains of powder is 2920.

It looks like from your post one acheives about 200 feet per second more velocity. If you don't think that is a significant increase, I think you are not really a gun buff.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Ringman,
Reread my initial post. If you are a real gunbuff? you may know velocity is not always the Holy Grail. If pure velocity is what you are looking for, you are looking at the wrong cartridge. The 30-06 cartridge is one of the best cartridges known. It is not the fastest or most accurate. If you look at both of my post, I said the advantage is the larger bullets, not the 150s. Don't take part of it and decide what you think I wrote. Tell me what you gain with 187fps. What if the most accurate load was 2750, would you go faster because it could or would you shoot the most accurate load?
Ringman, I have made a lot of wildcats and sell custom case forming dies. I have shot my 22-284 at 3800 with 89grn. JLK bullets. What a waste of a barrel. Somebody mentioned a Swift above. I had one and it was a great shooter, but I sold it after 25 rounds. I had a 17x22-250AI. Another big mistake. I guess it all depends on what you want a rifle for. I shoot BR and hunt.
I have been around the block.
Butch

IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
I FF with cast, with std., wildcat and Improved chambers. Accuracy has always been very good.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Ringman,
Reread my initial post. If you are a real gunbuff? you may know velocity is not always the Holy Grail. If pure velocity is what you are looking for, you are looking at the wrong cartridge. The 30-06 cartridge is one of the best cartridges known. It is not the fastest or most accurate. If you look at both of my post, I said the advantage is the larger bullets, not the 150s. Don't take part of it and decide what you think I wrote. Tell me what you gain with 187fps. What if the most accurate load was 2750, would you go faster because it could or would you shoot the most accurate load?
I have been around the block.
Butch

Hello Butch, Glad you have been around the block. Let me get this straight. I have 2 choices given both rifles are MOA and both shooting a 180gr Nosler Accubond. I can take a cross canyon 350 yard shot at an Elk and my vanilla '06 provides a vel of 2151 with E=1849 and a drop of 10.1 inches. Or I can shoot my '06 AI that provides a vel of 2313 with E=1993 and a drop of 8.7 inches. Lets see, this is hard....I think I'll take the AI as it provides more Energy and less bullet drop....was that so hard? Regards, Rick.

John Deere tractors and Sako rifles.....doesn't get any better.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Either load will do you just fine, though I'll generally take more speed if it's available.

But, 1.4" more or less drop @ 350 yds just isn't enough for me to worry about.

Generally I'll take all the speed I can get as long as I'm not giving up accuracy.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Rick,
This is getting to be ridiculous. Using your analogy, why don't you use a 300 Weatherby or 300 Ultra Mag?
Butch

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Not to get in the middle of this wiener fight, but I use corn meal instead of cream of wheat. I don't eat breakfast, but I love a good skillet of cornbread.

"We don't rent pigs"
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Youngdon,
I have not tried the cornmeal or cream of wheat. What advantage do you think it might be over a case almost full of Bullseye and a wax plug? With today's powder prices, you would save a little money if you foreformed very many I guess.
Butch

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
butchlambert1,

This is getting to be ridiculous. Using your analogy, why don't you use a 300 Weatherby or 300 Ultra Mag?
Butch

You are sounding silly. Have you noticed the difference in wieght and recoil of the magnums over the A.I.? Anotehr aspeck of the magnums is the necesity of longer barreld if one is to get the most froom his powder.

Maybe it was you who posted something about velocity vs accuracy. When I start with a rifle, I work up the fastest load I can and then dial in the accuracy with the threaded muzzle brake. Works great! Someone once said, "Only accurate rifles are interesting." I add to that, "If they are fast."

Also someone mentioned the difference between the AI and standard is 1.4". If you are going to narrow it down that close, it could be the difference between a bullet below the heart and in the heart. My first elk was taken at a ranged 400 yards with a heart shot.

Everyday Hunter
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Ringman,
I think we need to get this thread back on track. I believe that some of my posts have been taken out of context and it has all gone to hell. As said above, we will have to agree to disagree I guess. I think if you will read my post, I think accuracy is more important than ultra speed. I said above if you want speed go to the magnums. You or nobody else mentioned that they wanted to restrict the barrel length or recoil.
I hunt with accurate rifles. I will use a 6.5X47Lapua on a custom Remington Mod 7 That I built and used last year. My 16yr. old Grandson uses a 30BR built on a Mod 7 also. My 10 yr. old uses a 6X47Lapua Mod 600 that I built this year. My oldest son uses a 300SAUM that I built on a Mod 7 about 2 yrs. ago.
Let's talk about fireforming.
Butch

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Never tried fireforming without using standard ammo. Does the wheat make a mess? What about a wax plug, seems like that would pack wax all over the inside of the barrel?

Thanks, just wanting to research this, before I try it.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Hello Ringman. Butch just doesn't get it and we do. I did some rough cost calculations on fireforming by the way, and you and I and and some 10 other posters here based on their pet recipes. If you shot say 50 Sierras downrange with 50 grains or so of whatever powder the cost would be around 22 dollars. The cost of fireforming the same 50 cases using 11 grains of bullseye and cheap media whatever is about three dollars.

I have reloaded the 30-'06 since 1963 and the AI actually shines best with the 165 grain bullet out to 350 yards. Numbers and load. 165gr Accubond(Elk) or for deer BTip, 52.5 gr IMR 4064( I think "quick load" shows 53 gr as max, MV 3048 average of 3 shots. You can zero at 275 yards and sight in at +2.9 at 100 yards. Bullet rise/drop as follows. 100= +2.9, 200= +3.1, 300= -1.7, 350= -6.2 with a ME of 2085'/pounds at 350. Now, who needs a 300 Ultra Magnum that uses some 100 grains of powder, burns barrels in less than 200 rounds(reported, I have no empirical data) and has a near crippling recoil??? I love my Acklies and they are wonderful(IMHO) improved cartridges. And to get back to the original intent of this thread are very very easy and inexpensive to form. Regards, Rick.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Never tried fireforming without using standard ammo. Does the wheat make a mess? What about a wax plug, seems like that would pack wax all over the inside of the barrel?

Thanks, just wanting to research this, before I try it.

Hello DC223. The Cream of wheat does not make a mess.....I clean the brass for a few hours and the barrel with Hopps.......Way less cleaning than you are doing firing 50 rounds downrange. I don't use a wax plug as I use a 22 patch. Others may chime in on any wax problems which I suspect are nil. Regards, Rick.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Sakorick,
What part do I not get? I think you failed to tell me. I also do not use a bullet to fireform. I do not use ultra mags. I do not use my go to barrel to fireform. I did agree with you that the 30-06Ai will work with 180 and above bullets. I think you are just looking for a pissing contest. I just don't think you get it.
Butch

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
butchlambert1

Ringman,
I think we need to get this thread back on track. I believe that some of my posts have been taken out of context and it has all gone to hell. As said above, we will have to agree to disagree I guess. I think if you will read my post, I think accuracy is more important than ultra speed. I said above if you want speed go to the magnums. You or nobody else mentioned that they wanted to restrict the barrel length or recoil.
I hunt with accurate rifles. I will use a 6.5X47Lapua on a custom Remington Mod 7 That I built and used last year. My 16yr. old Grandson uses a 30BR built on a Mod 7 also. My 10 yr. old uses a 6X47Lapua Mod 600 that I built this year. My oldest son uses a 300SAUM that I built on a Mod 7 about 2 yrs. ago.
Let's talk about fireforming.
Butch

I guess we can talk about fireforming when you are finished. You brought up some silly stuff. I and a few opf the boys merely rebuked you for it.

Everyday Hunter
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Seems like a battle when you mix the breeds of shooters... Not uncommon.

That being said, I'll say this, I'm a highpower match shooter out to 1000 and a hunter. Mostly a hunter these days as I haven't shot a match since about 2003 and Camp Perry Nationals.

My take on this, you have to know what you are after here, and thats the same for Butch and Rick.... IE Butch wants accuracy to win with, and rightly so, most BR is shot close and wind isn't as bad as it can be... and accuracy rules. Rick wants a bit more speed out of a case for a bit more wind protection and a bit less drop and a bit more energy.

We can stop there, and say that its been argued if you want more, why not go to the next level... mags and such, well evidently thats not what Rick wants to do and is happy as is, and thats what matters. We could argue the other way around, if by butch, speed isn't an issue but accuracy is, why not shoot BR with an accurate 22 LR. Yep I'm stretching it both ways really but you see my point.

Bottom line to this, you can fireform with bullets, and most hunters do that, and it works fine. You can fireform with wax and small charges and most match shooters even HP that I know do that generally(223AI is a strange exception). Both are right. Neither is wrong. If it makes you happy and works and is safe thats whats right.

I will say this as an aside vs barrel life, I used to think it was many things, but later in life I've come to realize the La Berge brothers(fairly well known LR shooting clan that I'm friends with) always said they thought the best indicator is that it was X pounds of powder down the tube in a certain bore diameter.... and that actually makes most level sense to me. The more I burn the quicker the tube dies.

The other issue that crops up is turbulence point... that certainly seems to mean something in tube life, though I think its quantifiable, I don't think it means that much as to extra numbers of rounds....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Fire forming brass made easy?

Use full loads and shoot them. That's my "easy" way to form brass.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
643 members (257Bob, 12344mag, 257_X_50, 1234, 06hunter59, 257man, 74 invisible), 2,927 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,666
Posts18,399,365
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.