Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
10ring1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hi, Some PA hunters here going out to Wis. this year. Anyone ever hunt around the Kettle Moraine State Forest - The southern unit in Wis. Let me know if you have any good or bad experiences there. Thanks much Dave

Live and die by the Browning...
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Public land hunting in Wisconsin is not for the feint of heart. There will be very heavy pressure with blaze orange in every direction you can see and those you can't as well. I may be mistaken, but I believe the area you are talking about is a shotgun only area. You can check this out on the DNR website.

While I live in the Milwaukee area, I pack up and head 400+ miles away to hunt in the far Northwestern corner of the state to avoid the crowds.

Steve

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Its crowded up there too. Stay away. grin

I've only hunted on public land in WI, and it can be busy at times, but usually not too bad.

I'm thinking Kettle Morain will be crowded. If you guys want to come when it isn't so crowded, try black powder. Far fewer people then.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
10ring

Why anyone would come to WI to hunt on public land is a mystery to me. The WDNR has really screwed up deer hunting in WI!

I have plenty of private land to hunt and that, too, is a joke.

However, if you decide to come to WI, I hope you have a good hunt and prove me wrong.

WN

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you can get a mile off a road on any public land in Wisconsin you'll likely cut the company down by at least 90 percent. I hunt in the northcentral part of the state, walk 45 minutes to my stand, and rarely see anyone other than the other three guys in my party.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
never hunted there... it's a semi rural area located adjacent to the chicago-milwaukee metropolitan corridor...

a friend, now passed on, used to bowhunt private land just west of there... took some pretty nice deer... he avoided the shotgun season.....

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jackfish
If you can get a mile off a road on any public land in Wisconsin you'll likely cut the company down by at least 90 percent. I hunt in the northcentral part of the state, walk 45 minutes to my stand, and rarely see anyone other than the other three guys in my party.

Good advice here, but, don't go too far away from a single road or you'll end up 200 yards from another road.....ask me how I know... grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 10ring1
Hi, Some PA hunters here going out to Wis. this year. Anyone ever hunt around the Kettle Moraine State Forest - The southern unit in Wis. Let me know if you have any good or bad experiences there. Thanks much Dave

Dave-

You'll no doubt have fun. Plenty of watering holes in that neck of the woods too.

Just a head's up - if you're here for the duration of the season, don't get disheartened by the number of hunters in the woods on opening weekend. (it's not unlike PA in that regard)
After the weekend, you'll notice a heck of a lot more elbow room and you can enjoy yourself.

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Whelen Nut-

Enough beating around the bush - how do you really feel?
grin grin

WWP53D
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by SKane

Good advice here, but, don't go too far away from a single road or you'll end up 200 yards from another road.....ask me how I know... grin

That's funny right there. grin and sadly...true.

SKane is right, stick it out until monday and you'll likely see 75% less people. Stick it out until Tuesday and you'll see 90% less people.

Thanksgiving day is when everyone seems to do their drives, either get behind them, or GTF out of the woods, because you won't want to be caught in the middle of that....ask me how I know. grin

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well guys, I sure miss hunting Wisconsin...

use to hunt NW of Tomahawk...

Move to Oregon in 95 tho...

good luck to everyone back there and hope you get to see that Thurdy Pointer....3

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Around the roads, it's EXTREMELY crowded. If you don't mind that, go for it. I'd say to look at a map and find an area where you can get as far from roads as possible. I agree, if you can get a mile from the road, it's unlikely you'll see many people.

Far northern wisconsin is much less busy, but there are less deer too.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Plent of deer near Tomahawk. I've been working up that way lately.

You did't hunt near the Willow Flowage did you?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

107 members (6mmCreedmoor, 35, 338rcm, 7x57Hunter, AGL4now, 160user, 13 invisible), 965 guests, and 737 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,221
Posts18,447,504
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.