Print Thread
Hop To
T
Tim M Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
for those who have shot them, whats a minimum "all-in" weight for a hunting rifle in 338 lapua? weight would also need to be enough to make extended amounts of range work possible.

thanks

boomer

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Are you talking about a particular rifle or a custom build?

Of course you can build a lightweight or heavyweight rifle -with or without a muzzlebreak.
Plus all up weights will depend on scope/stock/barrel too many variables -also a 300gr. bullet will recoil heavier than a 225gr. bullet.
All in all to shoot a 338lm for extended range sessions you will need a break.
Not much help but i threw somethings out there to think about -good luck on a spectacular cartridge !-Mike

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
all I can tell ya is a 8.50lba(all up) XCR in 338RUM hurts much...I hate breaks, but might go that route. I'd rather break a "hunting" rifle rather than toting a heavy one.

Brett

100% Public land DIY!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by hunter5325
all I can tell ya is a 8.50lba(all up) XCR in 338RUM hurts much...I hate breaks, but might go that route. I'd rather break a "hunting" rifle rather than toting a heavy one.

Brett

---------------------------------------------------------------
Yep -A lightweight rifle with a break gets more performance from a break than a heavy rifle does..

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
T
Tim M Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
i guess what i'm wondering is how heavy would you want a 338 LM in order to enjoy shooting it at the range for practice or competition and still be feasible as a long range hunting rig.

I haven't shot one but looking at the numbers i would think you'd be talking somewhere in the area of 13 pounds. Certainly not a lightweight but possible. much lighter and it seems that any type of range work would be short and that would be a shame with a round like that. was hoping we maybe had a few people who might be able to add some input.

i would imagine a 300 rum is VERY ugly at 8.5

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My first .340 was right at 8.25 with Conetrols and a 3-10 Leo. I had a 4.5 weight Schneider on it cut to 23" and I used for a lot of chucks and pds and yotes. Spose with a sling and rounds it was close to 8.5 lbs.

As a hunt rig I'd not want it anymore than 9 lbs at most all up (scope, sling, rounds). I'd want a stock that was in the 27-30 oz range at most and the mzl dia somewhere between .65" and .7" at the most.

No way no how would I do a break on it but I would go for magnaporting on it.

Personally I'd do a RUM or a .340 b4 I did the Lapua but that's just me.

Best of luck to ya

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i'm shooting a 9.2 pound all up n runnin 338 rum. it shooting 250 grain sierra game kings at 3052 fps.
mine has a brake, and the last time out 33 rounds went down range. one of the most comfortable rifles i own.

my friend shoots a lm, same speed and with a much heavier rifle and knox comp stock.
it's brutal to say the least. no brake.

as much as i hate em as well, i don't think if recoil being equal, i would want to shoot but a few rounds without the brake on my rum.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I too am dead set against brakes, but in most cases, a sub ten pounder in a super mag benefits greatly by having a proper brake installed. If you are going to do it, do it right with a screw on multi chambered brake. I have not yet shot a .338 LM, by have done some with a RUM in an 11 pound package with and without brake. Night and Day for sure.

R.

You can run, but you'll just die tired.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Mine is 15.5#'s. I really don't have a problem hiking around with it as long as my hiking is 1-2 miles. Muzzle BRAKE or shoulder surgery, arthritis, detached retina, back and neck injuries, hmmm I'll take the noise and wear the ear protection hunting thank you.
[Linked Image]

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I shot a LM at 12 pounds without a brake and it was tolerable for hunting but when putting the time in with it at the range it became abusive. Adding a defensive edge brake made a 30-40 round practice secession or match no problem.

Personally I find all of the big magnums so abusive on the ears to begin with that a properly designed brake does not seem to make it much worse for the shooter. If your a spotter do not get in the wedge between the shooters shoulder and the muzzle, you will get hammered.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have an early G.Mcmillan in .340 wby. it has a brake. It is an 8.5lb rifle all up. I do not care for the brake at all. I can however shoot it all day. It is loud as hell! people move away at the range.
I have 7.5 lb all up custom encore in .340 as well and it will literally pound the snot out of you. However I can carry it all day. I use a lead sled for sighting in and load testing and then its all offhand or sticks. It is a hunting rifle. For me a little pounding is worth the benefit of a lighter weight rifle.
For extended range work I would go for a 10-12lb. rifle so you could take it afield like to a set up or stand.

I don't think you can have both without a brake.

Goodnight Chesty Puller... Wherever you are.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
658 members (1234, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 73 invisible), 2,927 guests, and 1,386 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,658
Posts18,399,290
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.