Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I've got a Remington 700 in 264 Win Mag with an X-Mark Pro Trigger. It's breaking a little over 6 pounds. It seems like a nice clean, crisp trigger, but the poundage is a little high for me. I'd like to get it down around 4 maybe even 3 pounds.

Remington suggests having a gunsmith adjust the trigger. Is that just their lawyers talking or can I do it myself?

Thanks,

Reed

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Try searching the gunsmith forum. Many posts there about how to adjust and how to test the trigger for safety after adjustments.

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Pop the two pins, throw the trigger in the garbage, buy a Timney or Jewell.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have adjusted the pull on one x mark pro trigger and it is relatively easy. If you send the gun in for warranty to Remington it might void the warranty at least that's what they say. You need a very small allen wrench to do the job..previous remingtons used a single blade screw head. Looking at the front of the the bottom screw affects the poundage. Turn it out to lower poundage to what you desire. Do not mess iwth the other screws which are the sear engagement or the overtravel screws. You should be able to get it down to 3 lbs easily or maybe less.
When your done you can put some clear nail polish on top of the screw to lock it in place.

My 700 was around 5lbs from the factory and it easily went down to 3 lbs.

Last edited by Oldelkhunter; 08/14/09.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
That is where I found my info. thanks for posting it.

My trigger felt extremely good after adjusting and was very crisp. The newer versions of it with the "user" adjustable feature on the face of the trigger are fantastic.

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Thanks everyone. I'll take the stock off and adjust it myself.

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Thanks again, everyone.

I just a adjusted the trigger. I was a snap. There was some glue or sealant in the screw area. I poked my small allen wrench head bit through the sealant and unscrewed it a bit. The pull went from 6 lbs plus on the Lyman scale to 3 lbs 5 oz. I think that'll do.

I don't knwo if it's as nice as a Timney or the Shilen triggers I own, but hey, it came with the rifle. The price they want for Timney these days they must be made of gold or some other rare element.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I don't knwo if it's as nice as a Timney or the Shilen triggers I own, but hey, it came with the rifle. The price they want for Timney these days they must be made of gold or some other rare element.

The trigger you have well adjusted is all the trigger one needs

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Yep, just keep flipping that safety because eventually the gun will go off when you do...

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
The friggin glue, I have some that I've gotten it off and others I've done everything and still can't.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Don't need no stinking safety.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Yep, just keep flipping that safety because eventually the gun will go off when you do...

You either don't like Remington triggers or don't know anything about the new version. Are you privy to some bad information on X-Mark Pro triggers?

Last edited by Oldelkhunter; 08/16/09.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I had a brand new Remington with the X-mark trigger. Weight was backed down to 4 pounds, and resealed. The other screws weren't touched. Flipped off the safety to shoot a bear, and the gun fired. It was a long flight back from AK. Gun was fine the first 200 rounds, then it failed when it mattered.

My other two Remingtons were adjusted by a well known gunsmith, and also failed in the same fashion. Luckily I discovered the problem before it was an issue, and installed aftermarket triggers.

My buddy came out hunting mulies last year. He waited 12 years to draw a tag. He drew down on a buck, flipped the safety, and BANG. He was able to chamber a new round, and luckily get another shot before the buck ran off. (he never dicked with his trigger)

I love the way my Remingtons handle, and shoot, I just think those triggers are a boobytrap, and there is no reason for it. Even their bolt release is a retarded piece of crap.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I had a brand new Remington with the X-mark trigger. Weight was backed down to 4 pounds, and resealed. The other screws weren't touched. Flipped off the safety to shoot a bear, and the gun fired. It was a long flight back from AK. Gun was fine the first 200 rounds, then it failed when it mattered.

Ok back to the drawing board on the X mark pro. I thought Remington designed this trigger to avoid more lawsuits?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Ironically, I talked to the guys are Rifle Basix right after it happened, and they thought the same thing. They believed me though, although I was the first they heard of it.

Remington still thinks you need to monkey with the trigger to "trick it" into firing. Not the case. Only thing I can figure is I hunted in light rain the day before, maybe somehow, someway it affected the trigger??? Don't know, but when my gun went off, i about fell out of the tree too. At least I had a safety harness.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
True, strange things happen when tuning the new X-pro. I brought mine's weight down 3x and twice the weight increased without reason (the sealant I applied having remained intact) !?! Out of explanation and having nothing to lose, I sprayed out and cleaned the whole trigger mechanics and was amazed to see the amount of gunk that flowed out ! Several hundred round later, it still works perfectly and... I still don't understand why... According to many testimonies, it seems I'm not alone to be plagued with the problem.
No sensible explanation thus, unless... electrolysis might be playing tricks ?!? As a matter of fact, 2 different metals are mated and then, where does all that gunk comes from ? I'm not sure of the answer but maybe there's something in it... Perhaps, a metallurgist forum member might take over from here ?

Andre
--------------------------------------
3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Don't need no stinking safety.

Those hot chamber hunters do, don't they....

Have had a boat load of remington triggers since the mid 80's and have never had trouble with any of 'em.

The X Mark Pro is a great trigger.....

[Linked Image]
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Go ahead and try to chamber a round when a bedded bull is a mere 40 yards away in the aspens or lodgepole...Or try and chamber a round when a bear is 20 yards away coming into bait. See ya!

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I guess I can sorta see how close game would rattle some folks.

Like I said, never had trouble with remmy triggers or remmy safeties for that matter.....new, or old.

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1OntarioJim, 2500HD, 1234, 11point, 160user, 10ring1, 74 invisible), 3,030 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,336
Posts18,468,682
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.