Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
rattler Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
we did a run down the road for school clothes for the girls and stopped in at the Tractor Supply Company store to pick up dog food and happened to walk by some of these......specifically the 1557M, supposed to heat up to a 2,500 square foot house(ours is 1,900) and if im figuring right it should be fairly straight forward to connect it to our current central air.....our central air heating is natural gas......we have been debating on putting in a wood stove or similar for awhile and im wondering if anyone has any experience........if my memory serves me right on my gas bill last winter and figuring it will prolly cost about as much as the stove is gonna cost in installing it(price on the stove was $1,100), it would prolly pay for itself in a couple years.......

Last edited by rattler; 08/22/09.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We have an add-on wood burning stove on our gas furnace. We have our own supply of wood for the stove so the cost for us consists mainly of gas for the saw to cut up the wood. We live in southern mich so it make a considerable difference in our heating costs over running the gas furnace.

Tom works 3rd shift but if you want to talk to him about ours (which is an older one) let me know and I'll PM our number to you and the best time to reach him.

It cut our heat bill enough the gas company called and wanted to know why we weren't spending a fortune with them in the winter. laugh

Ours is an older model than the ones now and not quite as efficient but we would get another one if this one goes bad.

Sassy

rattler Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
a few years ago the shop bought a new truck....the one the shop ended up buying had dark gray heated leather seats cause my wife(who is also the boss) is extremely cold blooded.....most often asked question "Why did yah get leather seats, they are so hot in the summer".......my wifes reply? "we have 3 months of summer and 6 months of cold weather.....ill deal with a couple of months of hot seats." grin

we hit -40 every winter and -60 a couple of nights most winters....first killing frost is usally the end of Sept/beginning of Oct......and i dont bother to plant tomatoes outside till the end of May for fear of frost....besides thining out my parents acre lot of cottonwoods and elms im sure SamOlson's dad would let me hit his river bottom property and thin some out grin

Last edited by rattler; 08/22/09.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Our house stays nice and toasty warm all winter using the wood burner and if for some reason (which is rare) that we use the gas furnace the house is much colder.

I think the wood fire gives a warmer heat than the gas furnace at the same temp. We use the gas furnace mainly at the beginning of the heating season and the very end of it when you don't need quite as much warmth.

Sassy

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10ring1, 57 invisible), 2,360 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,211
Posts18,466,244
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.