But since your name has now stuck that song in my head I had to do it. grin

Best,

JM.

BP-B6

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
If you want to see the effect of cuping in mild steel, shoot one hung above snow. Do not be within 30yrds of the target...the snow looks like it was shot with a shotgun!

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I actually have a scar on my left shoulder from accidentaly shooting at a steel backhoe blade that was covered by Kudzu in a gravel pit. I fired a 152 gr, 7.62 Nato FMJ from a .308 Winchester into the gravel pit and hit the blade about 20-25 yards away.

The core of the bullet ricocheted and penetrated my shoulder about three inches. The deformed bullet core was stopped by my upper arm bone. I noticed smoke coming from a .30 caliber hole in my shirt, plus, my shoulder felt a burning sensation and blood was dripping off my fingertips. A sign that all was not well!

Since I had been a Corpsman in the Army Infantry, I always carry a Army Field Surgical Kit in my car when shooting. I took a hemostat and removed the bullet and put a dressing on the wound.

Anyhow a lesson learned, the moral of this story is: don't shoot at hardened steel with high velocity, FMJ, centerfire-rifle ammunition, period!

CDR3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oldtrader3
I actually have a scar on my left shoulder from accidentaly shooting at a steel backhoe blade that was covered by Kudzu in a gravel pit. I fired a 152 gr, 7.62 Nato FMJ from a .308 Winchester into the gravel pit and hit the blade about 20-25 yards away.

The core of the bullet ricocheted and penetrated my shoulder about three inches. The deformed bullet core was stopped by my upper arm bone. I noticed smoke coming from a .30 caliber hole in my shirt, plus, my shoulder felt a burning sensation and blood was dripping off my fingertips. A sign that all was not well!

Since I had been a Corpsman in the Army Infantry, I always carry a Army Field Surgical Kit in my car when shooting. I took a hemostat and removed the bullet and put a dressing on the wound.

Anyhow a lesson learned, the moral of this story is: don't shoot at hardened steel with high velocity, FMJ, centerfire-rifle ammunition, period!

Having the tools and presence of mind does keep enquiring minds from wanting to know. Gun shot wounds of any kind must be reported to the police in Canada. I take stapler in the bush in case of significant laceration or penetrating injury. Not admitting personal foolishness...priceless.

Randy

PS thanks for your service as a corpsman.

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
a 270 winchester, 30-06, 375 h&h, 300 win, and 338 win with normal lead tip hunting bullets will penetrate 3/8" - 1/2" steel from 100 yards at anything close to a 90 degree angle like a hot knife through butter (seen with my own eyes). At a 45 degree angle, it will dent it pretty good and not take too long to start creating holes. I would think a 3/4" piece of steel at a 45 degree angle would probably hold up, but I would go for 1" thick my self.
and of coarse, like you stated, angle it towards the ground.

Just FYI, I had a 375 h&h bullet hit the edge of a 1/4" thick plate which cause it to keyhole through the 1/2" steel plate behind it. couldn't believe the bullet went right through it while traveling sideways.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
.22 Hornet+ 50 yds.+ 1/2" steel gong = 4" crease on the left side of my noggin.

Scar still shows.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I won't shoot steel gongs because they can reflect bullets back in different dirrections. a piece of stationary steel angled downward is safe

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
We shoot at a steel plate about 3x4 and an angle, but, the plate is inside a wooded crate. We have also filled the crate with wood scraps and short tree limbs that have been cut. We have never observed any bullets leaving the box.

We have replaced the box as it was shot up.

2 b 1 ask 1 !
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
We shoot at a steel plate about 3x4 and an angle, but, the plate is inside a wooded crate. We have also filled the crate with wood scraps and short tree limbs that have been cut. We have never observed any bullets leaving the box.

We have replaced the box as it was shot up.

2 b 1 ask 1 !
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
We plan on hanging it from chains we welded to it, so it could swing.

I've wanted to pick up some steel targets myself and really like John's idea w/ the 200, 300 and 400 yard options.

My question is: If you're angling a plate vs. hanging it, what happens to the bullet if you strike the top edge? Not likely but I'd think a hanging plate would do a good job of stopping the bullet and leave less opportunity to "skip" a bullet off the top edge....

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
IC B3

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I can even sew myself up, in an emergency. I worked as a diamond driller helper/propector/line cutter when I was 16 years old for a year (for a crazy Russian driller being paid by the foot drilled) up in the Malartic/Seneterre (mostly muskeg) regions of Quebec. It's amazing what you can do in a pinch.

CDR3
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Nebraska
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
We plan on hanging it from chains we welded to it, so it could swing.

I've wanted to pick up some steel targets myself and really like John's idea w/ the 200, 300 and 400 yard options.

My question is: If you're angling a plate vs. hanging it, what happens to the bullet if you strike the top edge? Not likely but I'd think a hanging plate would do a good job of stopping the bullet and leave less opportunity to "skip" a bullet off the top edge....
If you hit the top edge or a slanted piece of steel, it can rickochette parts of the bullets up in the air, but it can also do the same thing by hitting the edge of steel when it is perfectly horizontal, but usually if it hits the edge, there is not much of an in-tact bullet

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The type of steel will really change how it gets penetrated by a bullet.

Any of the wearplates with a Brinnel hardness of 380 or greater are good bullet stoppers.

I can attest to the ability of a piece of 1/2", 425 wear plate to resist bullet strikes, from 257 WTBY, all the way up to 458's

As long as the plate is either fixed at a downward angle, or allowed to move such as a sillouhette, or a swinging gong, ricochets and bounce back outside of the effective 50 to 75 yd area is no hazard IMO.

Last edited by Portsider284; 08/28/09.

Just remember.
You cant have SLAUGHTER,
without LAUGHTER
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Everything I've read on ARFCOM (AR15.com) seems to use AR-500 steel. Seems to be the best choice if you don't want bullets penetrating your steel.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Since we're on the topic of ricohets, I've had them even shooting golf balls. Buddy threw a golf ball out in front of me while shooting. I had his PTR-91 7.62mm (H&K G3 clone) and proceeded to shoot the ball three times, bouncing it down the range. Third shot, jacket separated from the core and ricocheted back and smacked him in the neck. Luckily, nothing happened to him though.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thinking it was a Partition on the right and an Accubond on the left.

Headband optional.
[Linked Image]

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Oldtrader3
I can even sew myself up, in an emergency. I worked as a diamond driller helper/propector/line cutter when I was 16 years old for a year (for a crazy Russian driller being paid by the foot drilled) up in the Malartic/Seneterre (mostly muskeg) regions of Quebec. It's amazing what you can do in a pinch.

which is why I keep several tubes of super glue on hand. I cannot sew for chitt but you can glue yourself back together...no kidding.

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
AR-500 is what I am looking for!

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Sam what kind of steel? How thick? As indicated in prior posts my dads barbacue pit was not match for a 222 remington.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Jimmy, that's old, soft steel. Maybe 3/8".

I've shot through it with SMK's.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
449 members (300jimmy, 222Sako, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 39 invisible), 2,450 guests, and 1,036 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,932
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.