Print Thread
Hop To
E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
I've got a 7x57 in the works and was thinking that I'd have to use Weaver bases and rings b/c I'd like a scope-base mounted peep sight. I was just reading that Ray (Atkinson?) has a Talley peeper on a big bore rifle of his.

Does anybody have experience with these? I like Talley bases quite a lot more than Weaver and their QDs are generally far more reliable for their weight than are Weavers.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated,

efw

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Are you talking about the Talley base with the peep built into it, like Brockmans makes?

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
http://www.talleymanufacturing.com/cgi-bin/public_controller.cgi?view=products&category_recnum=4

"The Talley Peep Sight requires appropriate rear base which has to be custom fitted with the peep sight. Own your peep sight for $68.95, which does not include rear base. In most cases, add $12 for extra rear base. We custom fit your peep sight to the rear base at no additional charge."

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Some of the old Redfield bases had a folding peep sight on the rear end. The sight was screwed on. A couple of friends and I have had the Redfield peeps mounted on the back of Weaver QD bases. The Weavers are lower than the Talley and line up better with the front sight. Now all we have to do is take the scope off and flip up the peep if we ever damage the scope while on a hunt.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I've got a couple of the Talley sets with the bases for a Marlin 1895. The rear base has the rear lug ground down flat and after the scope is removed the peep sight just fits on the rear base just as the ring did. Don't think it's particularly matched to the rear base, but rather just having to have the rear base modified. I'd much rather have Talley's setup than Brockmans where the peep is constantly vibrating against the scope... If I remember right the sight doesn't have any windage adjustment (that having to be set at the front sight blade) and not a whole lot of adjustment for elevation. While there great on a lever gun, I'm not sure you get the results you'd want on a bolt rifle. I was told at one time Talley also made a patch box type setup to inlet into the buttstock to carry the peep sight in, I'd sure like to get a couple of them. In your case though I'd still put my bet on a Weaver/Pacitnney style base with a peep sight from NECG.

Phil

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
You may be thinking of Warne.

Warne makes bases which accept the Weaver-style rings, and they used to make an aperture sight which fit the rear base.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have a number of the Talley slide on peeps and they are my choice..I carry the peep in a small leather pouch attached to my cartridge belt...

It is an easy fix on the Talley rear base..you file the rear hump off the rear base with a handfile then you will have to chuck the base up in your drill press and cut a small hole in the side of the base..you can mark the spot by sliding the peep on and spraying the side with marker in the hole, then take it off and drill the marker spot just a tad..easy to do.

I can take a picture of the peep and send it to someone that wants to post it on this thread, if that would help inasmuch as a picture is worth a thousand words...

As to the Brockman peep, it has no flaws..It works like a charm, I have used it on a number of big bore rifles and can't think of a better set up. You pull your scope off and it pops up and your ready to shoot. Simple, fast, and accurate iron sight set up. Anyone that has actually used one will like them.

If you want a Talley peep, then you must contact Talley as they only make them up in batches from time to time..

Either peep set up is excellent, has both windage and elevation, but the windage is in the moving of the front sight with the Brockman. In my case I always use a NECG gold faced square partridge of .007 high so that I can set my peep down as close to the receiver as possible as I prefer to file the front sight down to zero..

Both the Brockman and the Talley peeps are very compact, and well made..none of that bulky, oversize garbage with obtrusive extensions on it, as so many of the slide on peeps have. I highly recommend them both.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
The Brockman integral peep only fits M70s unless he has branched out recently. The Talley unit can be used on a wider variety of rifles.

I have an extra Talley aperture unit if somebody needs one.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by HunterJim
The Brockman integral peep only fits M70s unless he has branched out recently. The Talley unit can be used on a wider variety of rifles.

I have an extra Talley aperture unit if somebody needs one.

jim

There are other rifles? smile

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Sweet!

I'm sold... and it just so happens that I have a pair of Talley SR bases that need a home... oh yeah!!

Thanks a ton guys. Based upon your recommendations I'm all over it!!

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

717 members (1936M71, 160user, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 19rabbit52, 72 invisible), 3,102 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,582
Posts18,454,167
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.