Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
@ Mtnman - I think you're right.

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am pretty sure Cerakote offers a clear coat.. As soon as my equipment is complete, I will shoot it and let you all know....

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
@ Eddie & Brass -
I'm very interested in increasing hardners and clear coats to get more gloss from the cerakote... I don't want a mirror but I want to get as close to bluing as I can.

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Run the SOCOM with twice the hardener or the Graphite if you like black sheen more than the blue. I wouldn't clear over it, as your going to stack tolerances. Plus clear is meant as a protection and you aren't going to protect the original cerakote finish any more with putting more over it.

Cerakote is extremely tough when done right.

Eddie Fosnaugh
www.fosnaughcustoms.com
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
If someone really wants a blued finish that's as tough as cerakote there is a way to get there.

Have the gun blued by someone that knows what they're doin' and then coated with Ultra Gun Shield.

Doug Burche's new ultra gun shield from Ultra Coatings is clear. It's harder and more durable than cerakote (Baked or Ambi cure) and can be applied over bluing. I've used and applied most of this stuff (cerakote both baked or ambi cured), microslick as well as ultra gun shield and ultra bore coat fairly extensively for my own use and for friends and the new ultra coat is some pretty great stuff.

I've been thinkin' on havin' one of the really pretty blued/wood creations done that cost ridiculous amounts of money and if I do it will likely be a true rust blued gun coated with Ultra Gun Shield and ultra bore coat.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
One last comment, I don't know Eddie but having seen the guns he's puttin' out, I wouldn't be the least bit afraid to have him cerakote a rig for me. I especially like what he's doin' with the webbed cerakote stocks along with cerakoted metal. Very nice from what I've seen.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I have no experience with Doug's products, but from what mtnman1 said, it sounds like the clear from Doug would give you what your looking for. That is, if you want to actually blue it.

Look at this way, it mind boggling what to do nowadays, but it sure nice that us sportsmen have so many options!

Eddie Fosnaugh
www.fosnaughcustoms.com
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
@ Mtnman & Eddie- The gun I want to build is going to be stainless. I didn't think stainless could be blued therefore I was going with a coating of some fashion...

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This guy blue's stainless. If you want stainless and you it blued, it's possible.

http://gunblue.homestead.com/Stainless.html

Terry

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
TC1, have you used this gentleman?

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
IC B3

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No, but I have talked others that have.

Terry

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I am curious about the same thing except I want a matte or satin finish. Anyone tried mixing Midnight purple, Midnight blue and graphite black? Or would that turn out to be the same as the SOCOM Blue?

The thought of a purple gun just ain't right, but it might be the closest to a rust blue in color.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

There may be one other option that I have accidentally stumlbed upon.

I have a custom rifle from Serengeti Arms that has matte black Cerakote.

I was worried about wear on the bolt and bolt handle so I polished the bolt knob Cearkote with a soft buffing wheel ever so gently using only a light machine oil applied to the knob in very small amounts.

The end result is that I polished the Cerakote,it is slick and shiny like high polish blue but blacker in color and has remained so.

It looks kinda cool,if I weren't afraid I'd scew it up.I'd do the whole gun.

As far as I know nobody is doing this but I think it could have some applications. It would be nice to see how the Socom Blue looked if given this treatment.

The polish was done on a jeweler's polish lathe and wheel that I used to use to polish gold dental crowns.

Last edited by ruraldoc; 09/03/09.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
218 members (12344mag, 160user, 257 roberts, 257robertsimp, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 24 invisible), 1,873 guests, and 860 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,793
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.