Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Anybody have one ?
I am looking at getting a used one but have not handled it personally and have heard various storys as to the trigger pull on this model.
Being double action only some say it is very smooth and easy to shoot, others seem to find it extremely long and heavy.

How does it compare with a striker fired pistol such as the Glocks or M&P series ?

Thanks.

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
There are a lot of various opinions on this one ...

I would think you need to "handle" it yourself before buying, and then JUDGE FOR YOURSELF.

I found some opinions on "Police Link" regarding a Beretta Brigadier 96, DAO:

1. The DAO was a good feature causing the trigger pull to be SMOOTH.

2. I find the DAO trigger to be Hellish, to say the least.

3. I found the DAO trigger to have way too much travel.

Me? I have fired a Minnesota State Hi-Way Patrol Beretta 96, DAO, 40 S&W, pistol, and didn't notice anything objectionable about any function of the pistol. I thought it was all perfect. But I was just shooting it, not thinking or trying to analyse it.

There were 4 of these pistols at a small Gun Show in Minnesota, selling reasonably priced, and I took notice of one (may have had an older-style round trigger guard?) but anyway I looked closer at this particular handgun and found it was mfd. in Italy, and the other ones were mfd. in Accokeek Maryland, USA.

"Some" claim that the Italian Berettas are of better quality, but I couldn't afford to buy it then, so my buddy did.

And he's still happy.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Thanks P Weed, only problem is its almost a 5 hour drive from my door to where its at.
A reputable dealer mind you, but a little far just to check one out though.
These are also police buy-backs, and would primarily be using it just for banging away at the range or some friendly competition .. but I am also interested in IPSC or IDPA matches and that is where it might be an issue.

At about half the price shipped to my door as anything else though its hard to say no...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The D Model Berettas (92D and 96D) have a long smooth DA trigger, like a well worn S&W trigger. There is no stacking. It is a much longer pull than a striker gun such as a Glock. I carried D guns by choice for many years, and only recently went to a Sig with the DAK trigger, which I consider to be an improvement.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

I do wish I had the one I saw first ...

But some folks, (I think) DON'T seem to like them just because they are Berettas ...

I like them - just because they ARE Berettas.

As regards the M-96 weight or size issues, I still like them- just for what they ARE; not for what they aren't.

I also noted some of the Beretta "detractor's "on the Police Link who were critical of the "DAO trigger pull"- still said the Beretta 96 was otherwise perfect.

IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
CndnHntr

I've seen a lot of used Beretta 96D Centurion pistols for sale on GunsAmerica.com and GunBroker.com. The Centurion model has a slide and barrel about 3/4 on inch shorter than the standard 96D.

There is a used one here in Boise at Cabella's for $400. I prefer the Centurion over the standard model 92/96 because it shift the weights center of gravity back toward the hand.

The ones marked PS toward the front of the slide indicates it was sold to a law enforcement agency. Gun writer and retired cop Mayood Assod (sic) thinks that the 40 calibre Centurions are more reliable than the Standard Model 96.

As far as I know all 40 S&W Beretta 96s were built in Berettas Maryland factory. I haven't seen one that said "made in Italy".
Of the Model 92 Centurions, some are US made, some are Italian.

My own 92FS Centurion I bought new twenty years ago had a good "out of the book" trigger. I had a gunsmith smooth out the trigger and it was excellent. The DAO triggers I've tried out on used D models are long but smooth. Some are better than others.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Thinking I should just go ahead and order one already.

idahoguy: I only wish we could order from your side of the border.
However the laws (on both sides) make that impossible for almost everything.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
CndnHntr

We have that problem between States. Some States like California, New Jersey, New York, Massachussets, etc... have god-awful anti-gun owner laws. Plus there is a federal law that if I'm a resident in one State and I want to buy a firearm located in another State I have to have that firearm shipped to somewhere in my State with a Federal Firearms license.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Idahoguy 101,

I'm grateful that you posted:

When I FIRST wrote out my response, I did write that the pistol I had experience with- WAS a "DAO Model 92 in 9mm". Then I thought ... No, it HAD to be a .40 S&W.- and so CHANGED my story to it's being a .40 S&W before submitting. My poor memory, I guess ... But I am SURE that you are correct. Thanks.

I was visiting my friend in Minnesota (Bother in law) where we discovered the Beretta pistols stamped "Minnesota State Highway Patrol" at the Gun Show in the Armory- and he purchased the Italian mfd. model. We later shot that pistol and some other firearms out at the farm.

I'll be seeing him again this Fall, and will have to see exactly WHAT it is ??? I hope Law Enforcement Beretta 92's, DAO, mfd. in Italy actually existed ... or I'll just go in hiding,

Regardless, it IS a fine Beretta pistol, DAO trigger and all.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
P Weed

I don't recall ever seeing a model 92D marked "Made in Italy". But I wouldn't be suprised if their out there. In the 1980s when law enforcement agencies adopted semi-auto pistols over revolver most were chambered for 9mm. The FBI after their botched "Miami Massacre" advised other agencies to use the 147 grain subsonic pmm load. This was the least effective 9mm loading for expansion in bone and muscle.

Then the FBI told everyone the 9mm was no good and the 10mm Auto was the best. Then shortly abandoned it for the 40 S&W which lea
ds the law enforcement pack with the 357 SIG and 45 ACP way in the distance.

Leading to nearly new 9mm semi-automatics on the market as police trade-ins. Now with the 40 S&W pistols in use 20 years they are being replaced with new pistols. So the market for police trade-ins is actice with 40 S&Ws.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know about Italian 92Ds, but I have an Italian 96D that I've never fired. Interestingly, although it is a pre-ban gun, it came with 10 round magazines. (I think the 11 round magazines came later.)

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A few years before I retired, the agency I was with began issuing the 96D to replace our .357 revolvers. I decided i wouldn't like it because it was so big and heavy, mechanically complex, and not a revolver. I had carried a Glock for some years, though, and love the .40S&W cartridge.
After going through the transition training and then putting other officers through it, I decided it's a really good gun. The trigger pull is long, but not hard and very smooth. It's very accurate, too. We'd regularly train on headplates, a 8" metal plate, at 50 and 100 yards from various positions and it hit them all day long. IIRC the bullet crosses the line of sight the first time at about 15 or 20 yards and again at 40-something yards, I don't remember specifics, which made it easy to shoot at nearly all ranges.
If you can get one at a reasonable price, go for it. I still have my Glocks, but do miss the Beretta 96D.

Think direction first, then velocity.
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
EdD270:

So how would you rate the 96D for something like IPSC where you would be dumping 3 full mags in quick succession ??

I was doing some more internet searching today and have found a new M&P 40 for 650 compared to the 450 they want for the used 96D.
Thinking maybe I should just get over the "tupperware" guns and go that route... ?

...and yes, handgun prices in Canada are a "bit" higher than stateside. frown

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Cheyenne,

I wasn't aware that model 96s were manufactured in Italy. I thought that all 40 S&Ws were from Beretta USA in Maryland. I learned something new today.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't think there were many made in Italy. Mine is an early model. The one I carried was American made.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Cheyenne,

Congratulations on owning a nice pistol. Is a standard or centurion version? I am curious why you prefer your Glocks?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It is a standard model. Who said I like Glocks? I really don't like them at all except from a durability standpoint. I do like SIGs with the DAK trigger. They are similar to a D model Beretta but with a shorter pull. (The single stack DAK models have a slightly heavier pull, but I have a double stack.) Very nice.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I happen to like the the DAO Beretta's; very smooth trigger, accurate and reliable...what's not to like. They're smoother than any DA revolver, so enjoy.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I have what some would consider a lot of time with the 96. I had one that I put about 11,000 rounds through in a relatively short amount of time. It broke, my agency gave me another one. Broke that one too, they gave me another one. This was not the fault of the gun so much as it was the amount of rounds being fired through them. I was competing as much as possible at the time and practicing an awful lot.

They are accurate and reliable. I've heard more than one shooter bitch about the trigger. But whenever they pick up a different pistol their scores still sucked.

I used mine with duty leather to compete in quite a few IDPA matches and a few State Police Games. I actually miss those ugly bastids as my employer switched to a different issue sidearm a few years back.

Good pistols overall.

Travis

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Cheyenne,

Sorry, I must have me confused. I've heard of the DAK trigger. Haven't shot one yet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

455 members (1OntarioJim, 204guy, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 37 invisible), 1,949 guests, and 1,092 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,064
Posts18,463,417
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.