Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
What to look for in a 1950's and 60's browning superposed???

Can screw in chokes be installed and it that wise.

Which models have the prince of wales grip?

BP-B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Do some research on "salt wood". It might be an issue on guns of that period; I'm not a Browning guy, but have heard of this problem.

D
D
The "premium" years for any production Superposed are approx 1953-1966. Not that you won't find some fantastic guns before and after those years.

- If you stick to these years you won't have a problem with salt wood (showed up from about 68-71).
- You definately want a long-tang (again, won't be a problem 53-66...they all had long tangs).
- Usually the higher the grade, the higher the demand, not 100% true but a pretty good basic rule. An exception is the Pointer Grade...they are a bit rarer than other grades and ususally demand a premium price.
- Shotguns signed by the engraver will demand a slightly higher price. Browning had several engravers whos signatures you may see on guns. A few names you might see are: Funken, Watrin, Vrancken, Doyen, Marechel, M�eller, Magis, Vandermissen, DeBruse, etc.)
- The smaller gauge Superposed guns are typically worth more as well. 28ga are often worth a great deal more simply due to the fact fewer were produced.
- Extra barrels will demand a premium price. At the time of manufacture additional barrels could be ordered and were made specifically for that gun so you can't just take a set of barrels off one superposed and use them on another.
- Any modifications will detract from value/demand. For instance a recoil pad will reduce demand, screw-in chokes will detract. Any after-marked modifications are a bad idea if you're trying to maintain the gun's value.
- I assume you mean round knob when you say Prince of Whales grip? In the Superposed community you will usually see them advertised RKLT (round knob-long tang), RKST (round knob-short tang...undesireable), FKLT (flat knob-long tang), etc. RKLT were available on Standard Superposed, Lightening, and most Trap models. The only model that RKLT was not available in was the Superlight (straight stock only).

Hope this helps

Last edited by Deltamac; 08/18/09.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Good post - good info...

I would also try to deter anyone from attempting to install choke tubes in a Superposed.. Besides, many competition shooters in trap have gone back to fixed chokes...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Very good information. As mentioned, with quality firearms like the Browning Superposed, it is best to leave the guns in original condition. Don't modify them, especially highly collectible guns. If the shotgun fits you well and you enjoy the appearance fit and finish etc., I think that the old Brownings can be a really good value.

IC B2

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Help me out please here.
A 12 gauge superposed serial # 2120x
Built apparently in 51.

Will it be a long tang prince of wales model?
I can email a photo.

Last edited by tikka3006; 08/24/09.
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Why do so many older supers come full and full or cylinder and cylinder?

I thought the advantage would be having two different shot patterns at hand.

D
D
tikka3006,
There were a few straight stock special order Superposed around that time period but the lion's share of Superposed were round knob/long tang.

The serial number indicates it is an early '51 as you stated. the serial number also would indicate it was not a special order gun and since all Superposed were long tangs in those days it should, in fact, be a round knob/long tang.

Additionally, you asked why you see so many that are full/full or similar. I've always thought that was odd too but Browning would create anything the customer wanted. I think some folks just wanted that configuration...you tend to see a lot of 12ga 3" mag in full over full...I think folks thought that would be the ultimate waterfowl gun. For Skeet shooters I see why having skeet/skeet would be desirable. I think the majority of the Superposed you find will be of two seperate chokes however.

Last edited by Deltamac; 08/26/09.
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Well I made an offer today on a superposed.
Thanks for all the help guys.

1) How much work to remove the glossy stock finish of a 1965 model?
2) What tools?
3) Can paint stripper be used?
4) a power sander?

D
D
tikka3006,
I think you'll be happy with your decision...if you know what you're doing, you can't go wrong with a Superposed...of course I'm rather biased. I'm really not the person to answer your question wrt refinishing a stock but before you get started I'd do some serious research/talk to a good gunsmith with stock refinishing experience. I do know you need to be very careful with the stripper you choose to use and I would avoid any power tools when it comes to this project...nothing works like a fine piece of sandpaper and some sweat...besides you'll enjoy your efforts more. You may want to have it done...if you don't have the experience yourself you'll save youself a lot of heartache, and the end result will likely be better. Good luck!

IC B3

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I am looking at a photo of a 1964 superposed. The bluing job on the barrels,show a purplish haze/hew!! I am told that this
was due to the nickel content that was present in the steel barrels back then.

Anybody seen or experenced this?
Does this take away from value or quality overall?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
642 members (17CalFan, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257Bob, 12344mag, 1234, 71 invisible), 2,967 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,668
Posts18,399,405
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.