-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm from Pa, going up north to the big woods and I'm thinking about Hunting around Minerva and Schroon lake at Hoffman's notch wilderness and Van somethings wild forest. Need some suggestions about hunting up there

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
No nothing about it but always thought hunting the Adirondacks would be great. Good luck!

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
From what I hear about PA I can't blame ya for wanting to buggout to another state come deer season......

I heard the NY non-res license just took a price jump tho'...if that matters.

If you sweet talk 'em real nice maybe Evil Twin and/or Jed1899 would talk to you about the 'Dacks. A few others here too, live up there.

Deer Hunting up there isn't a cake walk and finding them can be a bitch, but when you do it's usually a big bastard with quality head gear.

I'd rather bear hunt there than deer hunt......

[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Bring some maps and have a GPS or compass. Don't take the country too lightly. Last I knew, cell phones don't work there.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Cell phones depend on where you're at. Where I usually bear hunt, minimal spotty service is an hour away on crappy roads.

Good Topo Maps are the way to go, and sound compass knowledge.

The bush is THICK in many places, as in visability only 10 or 20 feet, and easy to get turned around in.

In many places the canopy is high, and landmarks at a distance are tough to keep track of.

Back country travel in the wrong direction could mean days worth of walking........

Basic advice for the Newb is plan a trip over good maps, stick close to a road or trail for the first time or two, and don't think you are bigger than the 'Dacks are........

[Linked Image]
IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Should add, Rain Gear is good idea.........

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
the towns in those areas should have web sites,they might list some info for you.

+1 on rain gear,maps,gps if you have one,where I go near Oxbow lake.I was always told that there are iron ore concentrations that can make your compass spin,never experianced it myself though.

also +1 on heavy cover,not alot of scopes on the local guns,YMMV.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Also a GOOD source of info is a phone conversation with the forest ranger and/or a GW who's working the area that you want to hunt. Easily contacted through the DEC regional office. You'll get a phone number for them and leave a message....they'll call you back, usually after they get home for the day.

BT/DT and they are very eager to give folks help/direction....

Their main concern though, is preventing having to go find you when you get hopelessly lost........

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
http://www.mapleleafmotel.net/.

they are in Schroon Lake and affiliated with a couple og guide services.

http://www.adkhunter.com/index.html,another place for info

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
http://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/51351.html Pharaoh Lake Wilderness area near Schroon Lake is also a start. 40,000+ acres of public hunting. NY State DEC. Can maybe help you out. VanDerwhacker Mountain is your Van--- Hunting Whitetail at the beginning of the season ( around Oct. 24th I'd guess )can be very hard because of the leaves are still on. About Nov. 8-10 maybe the peak of the rut. Web

[Linked Image]
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have hunted the Adirondacks all my adult life. If I were to give you one piece of advice, it would be to get a hand held GPS and know where to use it. Also get a topigraphical map of the area and review it and make notes on it while viewing the area on google earth or a similar satellite photo program. If you find yourself in the big woods on an overcast day you don't need to get too far from the road to become completely disoriented.

Mathew 22: 37-39

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I hunt southern ADK Lots of state land. All good advice the GPS is a must These woods can turn anyone around. Plan on doing alot of walking. Still hunt very slow always looking for a food source this is the key Oaks, Beech, Greens, logging sites . If you have partners you can combine still hunts and a drive But when you are new to an area this will be hard. I like to swing around a Mt low then get on top and hunt down, scent stays above and I come out bsck to a road or camp instaed of the other way a round. If you spot deer dont stop quick Keep movin till you place a tree between you and the deer then be ready to shoot QTs you can pm me DWG

Last edited by DWG7; 09/08/09.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Think about the safety aspect. They can be big woods, difficult footing ( leaf and moss covered rocks or soft ground). Some of the best hunting weather is a light steady rain or fresh snow also is prime hypothermia weather. Bring enough with you each day that you could stay the night in a 33F rain.

Have plan to get a deer out. A nice Adirondack buck laying on the ground at 3:30 in the afternoon 4 miles from a road is some serious work.

Depending on where and when you hunt there are lots of styles that can work. If you get fresh snow think about spending a half day or day Beniot style tracking..its hard and may not lead to a deer but its an experience.

Best of luck..

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Are you allowed to quarter a deer in NY or is it another of those stupid 'have to bring it out whole' states?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So long as proof of sex and antlers are present, it don't much matter how ya transport them. I much prefer using topo map and good compass. Try to get the week of Vets Day. Best time all around. VanDerWhacker Mountain Wilderness area is exactly that. Suggest going to an LL Bean or similar business and get the "Adventure Paper" map printed out with your hunting area centered. 1:30,000 scale is fine. Good definition and large area coverage. WildsWalker nailed it. Deer hide VERY easily in the 'Dacks but the bucks tend to be pretty heavy. Brush up on your mapreading. PM me if ya want.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Sweet, so one can bone a deer out for the forced march. That makes it FAR more attractive, thanks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep. They get prickly about the antlers and proof of sex and a tag on it somewhere is all. Fair enuff.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

510 members (17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 57 invisible), 2,918 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,276
Posts18,467,549
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.