24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I work with a gunsmith and watched him do a couple of trigger jobs and he gave me pointers on what to do and how to go about doing trigger jobs on any fire arm. He had never done a M77 re-work just drop in timney triggers. Well today I looked at my dads M77 MKII 308 and decided the 8 pound creeping ass trigger had to go. I ripped it a part and looked at the whole trigger and foud out how everything worked. Decide to cut 1 1/2 coils off the spring polish the the edges of the sear and trigger and on the bolt assembly. Dremil tool, jeweler files and polishing stones do wonders. Now the trigger breaks at a clean crisp 2 5/8 pounds.

Disabled American Veteran. U.S. Army 2000 - 2007 Proud to have served.
BP-B6

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A trigger job was all my 257 RBTS M77MKII needed to be a very nice rifle. Mine came with a crunchy 5.5 lb. pull and now sports a crisp 3.5 lb pull - huge improvement. I am sure your Dad will love the improvement you have made on his .308 WIN.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do a video and post it.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
What about over-travel? It's been awhile since I worked on one, but if I remember right, that was the one thing that was not easy to address.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
What about over-travel? It's been awhile since I worked on one, but if I remember right, that was the one thing that was not easy to address.

Had the same quandry. I picked up a MkII in 6.5x55 that had been shot little if at all but strangely had the trigger worked apparently as described above. Was crisp & light but long overtravel. What I eventually did was rough the front upper part of the trigger above the pivot as much as possible (that's some hard steel), and build up a ball of marine epoxy there. When the lower part of the trigger is pulled this upper part pivots toward the stop. After the epoxy was dry & cured in a warm oven I shaped it into a blunt cone with a file then little by little took material off the top. The cone of epoxy limits the amount of travel. It was just a matter of fitting & filing until I had what I wanted. Was a bit concerned about the longevity of the set up but so far after maybe 100 rds and a couple of years everything has held. Initially tried to build up a spot of solder instead of epoxy but couldn't make it happen. Best option with this method would probably be a spot weld dot but I don't know how that would affect the metal.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I had a trigge job done on my 270 and it turned in into a new rifle. Groups went from 2" to 3/4" overnight.

Whatever a 7x57 can do a 270 can do better.

True fair chase is you in the woods buttnaked with nothing but your finger nails and teeth.

If you'e fixin' to put a hole in something, make it a hole to remember.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I had Bansner's in Adamstown, PA do the trigger my M77 MKII about 10 or 12 years ago. Still works great.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I pretty much follow this for M77 triggers. but i don't do much of a bevel on the trigger nose. I don't do much at all with the spring. not a big fan of cutting coils. I don't mind a little weight to a trigger, especially since most of my hunting is done with cold stiff fingers. But I do appreciate what this common fix does to eliminate the creep, she snaps nice & clean with just enough trigger sear engagement to be good & safe.

Overtravel never bothered me. she's headed down the tube before you gotta worry about all that extra travel anyways.

[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I do a lot of my own triggers, and those of my kids' rifles.
I don't believe in cutting coils off springs. I do use a different spring, with about 20% thinner wire, the same length and coil outside diameter to get a very good pull. I also polish mating, moving parts to reduce friction.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
This is a good thread. "Thank you" to northern dave and DMB in particular.

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Link to Ruger M77 Trigger article, which has a link to that diagram in it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The trigger housing can be d/t'd for an overtravel screw. As noted, the metal is harder-n-ell, so you best use a very good drill and tap.

I think the mkII trigger is one of the best hunting triggers as designed, but not as manufactured by Ruger.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco

yessir, that's a good article.

Something clever here.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted By: Gringo Loco

yessir, that's a good article.

Sure is. Just remember, as 458 Lott noted, the metal is way hard. You won't drill a hole for the overtravel screw in that trigger with a handheld Black&Decker and a carbide bit. Done tried it. That's the reason I ended up with the blob of epoxy trick blush

"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
There is polishing on the BOLT face engagement that need to be done on the bolt itself. Changing the angle by 3 degrees makes a big difference. I also have ZERO overtravel. But whatever! I was just sharing my exp. with yall!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
What did you do to cure the overtravel or was it never there??

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
it wass there but by cutting the spring down 1 1/2 coils a polinging the bolt engagement to 3 degrees less it took out the overtravel.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
144 members (257 mag, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 10 invisible), 1,444 guests, and 778 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,897
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.