Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Deer are funny that way. I shot about 10 that never took a step. then the 5 or 6 all ran, at least some. Last year I shot 4 deer, and none moved an inch from where they were shot. Some run, some don't.

The fastest, kill I made was with a .270win and rem CL 130gr. That deer was on it's back with its legs in the air at the shot. Stone dead.

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
After you have shot a lot more deer, you will find the "anchor effect" is only a term thats been used too much...It just cannot be "depended" upon, and be careful about letting a kill or two impress you....

Strive for a bullet that gives you two holes and a good blood trail, even at the expense of traveling a bit further..Also you will not waste as much less meat and you will recover all your deer. I personally would stick with the Nosler Partition or the corelokt.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
In over 150 big game kills the only trend that's come up more often then not on medium game is the fact that high velocity expansive pills are the most cosistent at putting game down at impact. Some don't believe it(I could really care less), but I've killed dozens of medium game animals that fell on the spot with plain rib/lung impacts with fast expansive pills. That rule doesn't apply to larger bodied game. I've seen Bull elk and large boar stand there like nothing happened regardless of the bullet and velocity. My theory on the matter is that the smaller animals are temporarily paralized from the shock and dead before they come around.

I agree on the two holes concept. You can have the best of both worlds with bullets such as the NPT, NAB, IB, SS, etc....

loder

A
A
These rounds shot more accurately out of my 270wsm X-bolt than any other I have tried. 1.25-.75 moa it depends on me. they shoot to .5 in a lead slead. As far as terminal peformance all I can say is WOW!! 3 shots all dead in there tracks. 2 pass throughs at about 160yds. And to my suprise on the 3rd deer(large doe) bang flop on a liver shot at 225yds! Not where I intended to hit shot was offhand and deer was back into the woods. these rounds are also accurate in my BAR 30-06 150gr. I see that wichester has realeased these in 180 for 30 cals. I cant wait to try these. Great price excellent performance.

A
A
The recoverd bullet was completly in tact in a wide mushroom. measured weight was 121gr. Bullet was in the offside hide right before the ham.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I shot three deer and a hog with them from my 270 this year all exited and all kissed dirt at the shot. One of the shots was 16 yards through both shoulders of a doe. Exit was 1" and had blown out lungs all over the place.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Whatever a 7x57 can do a 270 can do better.

True fair chase is you in the woods buttnaked with nothing but your finger nails and teeth.

If you'e fixin' to put a hole in something, make it a hole to remember.

7mm08 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
It sounds like they are a good bullet. I can barely beat their accuracy with my reloads. I still have a few boxes of them to use up so I may use them on deer one day.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by barnold1
That's out of the .300 WM. I haven't lost a deer with it, but I generally haven't had the "anchor" effect with it that I grew used to with my .280 shooting the 150 gr. Partition.

I started hunting a bit in Kansas, where the potential range for a shot is that much farther. I thought whatever the .280 could do, the .300 would trump, but I just haven't seen it with the XP3 on deer; again, I think it's ripping through and exiting before enough damage is done. I'm hoping the cheaper Winchester load in the .300 will open up and drop them on the spot!

This is an interesting observation and I have seen pretty much the same thing over the years...medium weight Nosler Partitions of 130 to 165 gr weight driven from cartridges like the 270,280,7/08,7 mag,30/06,etc have always given me so many "easy" kills on deer of all sizes (from dinks to giants)that I just "expect" it.

While I'm certain other bullets do equally well,it is hard to beat the combination of rapid expansion and deep penetration provided by the Partition;and why I am a bit perplexed at guys running around trying this bullet and that,searching for the "perfect" deer bullet when it has been staring them in the face for over 50 years,especially if your deer run on the big side.

And they work as well at distances out to 500 yards through soft tissue as they will through the shoulders of a 300 pound buck at spitting distance. The fact that they have no "plastic tip",or are not a thin jacketed "blow-up" bullet should be of no concern to anyone with any experience.And yes I have had plenty of these mythical "DRT's" from Partitions that are supposed to be the sole province of thin-jacketed, hollow point target bullets today....

I too thought at one time that a 300 magnum of some sort would be superior on deer-sized stuff at long range in places like Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta, and have used them for that purpose.....but over the years I learned that,while they certainly "kill", they don't kill deer sized game any better than stuff in the 270,280, 7 mag class,and recoil a lot more,so I have just forgotten about them altogether for that purpose.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
does anybody think they will make the bullets for use to reload them or they will be like the xp3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 52 invisible), 2,498 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,545
Posts18,453,457
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.