24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
D
Hmmmm...I'd pack them in a Lincoln Navigator...Whoops, sorry, just having a flashback to my Cubmaster days.<shudder>. If I was going with young (11-12) or inexperienced Scouts I'd be planning on going fairly slowly, which means a largish pack, say 6000ci or so.With some groups I've seen,7-10 miles a day can be a major undertaking-and that means a lot of consumables, for 5-7 days...a major undertaking.
If you have experienced Scouts, and and are in condition, you could go quite light and blast it in 2-2.5 days. For that,a 3-4000ci pack would do. The real determining factor will be your Scouts, just as much as the terrain and distance.
Its easy to plan for a fast trip, but your Scouts would have to want to do it that way and be capable of it. Otherwise everybody is going to have a bad time. And they won't want to repeat that...

BP-B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Come on folks.... someone else MUST have a question for DANA GLEASON.

Mark

Mystery Ranch Backpacks
Bozeman Montana USA
www.mysteryranch.com
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Dana,

If you could, share a bit of your history in the pack business.

Of course everyone knows or should know about Dana Designs.

I remember when you were doing Mojo and later Quest camera packs.

I also remember you designed a series of packs for Marmot way back. I recall looking at them when Michael had Northern Lights in the shopping center.

Then there was the Works a part of Mystery Ranch? Or a predessor?

And finally why the Mystry Ranch name?

Best,

Ed

Ed T

RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'd like to know if there are any externals planned?

rb

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The guy is a class act. Welcome to the campfire.

IC B2

S
S
I too want to know if/when we will see a new version of the loadmaster. I like the ventilation of externals.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by MysteryRanch
Come on folks.... someone else MUST have a question for DANA GLEASON.

Mark

I'll bite. I know that the answer might be "it depends," but overall, Dana, do you prefer Internal or External Frame packs for larger capacities (5000 ci and up, for longer expeditions both hiking and hunting)? If the answer is, "it depends," please elaborate.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dana/Mark- congrats on the success!

Billings Gazette Article

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I would like to know if Dana would be willing to rebuild one of his old Dana / K2 Terraplane externals? I wouldn't mind some new shoulder straps, mine have compressed down a bit and I can hual enough to make the straps dig in a bit....Burly pack...

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
i smell a group buy smile

woofer

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have three Dana packs.. awesome!

If the Man himself is monitoring this thread, I do have a question. Any chance I could bum a couple peices of the foam that fits in the small of the back on my Arcflex Alpine or my wife's Yellowstone, assuming you have such around for your new packs? In both cases, that foam, and ONLY that foam, turned to powder in the years since I bought them in the early 90's... and it is kind of important.

Dana Design was a great company; probably still is... I had to send a Bomb Pack in for a repair and they took care of it FAST. Still have that one too.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
http://shop.mysteryranch.com/s.nl/it.A/id.4071/.f?sc=8&category=1971

Anyone using the Grizzly? Seems like a beefed up internal frame pack vs. an external frame like the old Dana Longbed / Terraframes.. ?????

B
B
Hello everyone and welcome Dana. Looking forward to your posts and advice.

BINOCULARS N SITE: providing rugged Optics for dedicated Hunters

Binos & Rangefinders
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
First - Welcome Dana and Mark!!
Second lots of us seem to be asking for bits and pieces to our old Dana packs. As I understand it (those in the know - please correct me) Dana Designs was acquired by K2, back somewhere about 2001 and all warranty work is now handled by them. Yep - been there myself - they (K2?) were willing to warranty my pack with a "new" import - but I wasn't willing to give up my Bozeman pack for that - stitched it up myself - still going strong.

Mystery Ranch - is a whole new deal, but same great designer, seems to have the same ideals as the original Dana Designs - but I am pretty sure there is no real obligation to support the original Dana stuff - that went with the name brand long ago.

Proud owner of 4 Dana Bozeman packs, one Mexican Dana pack???. and a new Crew Cab!! Even took the factory tour in '93!!!

A real Dana pack fits and it hauls a load - bonus, it will still be there when your kids are ready pack your elk out - how many other packs are that tough? Besides its really "Made in the USA".

"Do you want it "Right", or "Right now"? - always a good question.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Understand the whole K2 deal, just hoping we could talk Dana into some rebuilds / minor repairs on his old stuff. (at a fee of course)

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Just wanted to thank Dana & the folks at Mystery Ranch for making such great gear. I have a Dana Design pack I bought in 1994 and to be honest with you it will probably be the only one I will ever need for the rest of my life.

It has been all over Alaska & sundry places throughout the world & it still looks & performs great. And I have done almost nothing to maintain it. By today's standards it would be considered heavy, but it fits like the perfect glove and I would not consider anything else. The performance & durability are unmatched. Thanks guys. One question what can I do in regards to maintenance to keep this pack for a long time?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd also like to know about plans (if any) regarding the externals. Those fiberglass wands do a better job of getting the load onto the hips than anything I've ever used.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
MysteryRanch, Dana, I don't watch this forum regularly, but the name Dana Gleason's definitely caught my eye.

I have a different sort of question to ask. In looking at your external frames, I see they appear somewhat conventional in the way of shoulder straps and hip belt. But back in the 70s and early '80s there was a big rage in wrap-around external frames. I had one, not too well fit (stole it from my sister) but man, I could put a load on that and really be happy. I've not found this to be true of most frames, internal or external ever since. So, it makes me wonder, why did the wrap around frame not stick around?

The modern internal frame packs are really really nice. And to some extent, the better ones like yours are superior in most every way, but when it comes to external frames, I'm still looking for something that will carry half a boned out elk as nicely as that old wrap around frame did - I think it was called Sun-Something Designs or at least had the word "Sun" in the name of the maker.

Thanks,
Brent

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Brent, I've never carried a "wrap around" external, but I have carried a Dana external quite a bit. To me, the vertical fiberglass wands on the Dana look like they perform exactly the same function as a wrap around external. They very effectively transfer load towards the front of the hipbelt. I'm guessing that is the answer -- the wrap arounds evolved into the Dana external. Even that sophisticated frame with it's cult following didn't sell well enough to stay in production. It's a pity.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My 2 cents on one of their packs ...... I have owned a few good packs in the past(the latest being a Kifaru Siwash) but I will say is that you can use the crew cab (w/the NICE frame)as a comfortable and compressed daypack or load it to the max (150 lbs ++)of what your legs and back can handle and you will not have any sore spots because of the pack but rather from your own deconditioned body; and the Mystery Ranch customer service is top notch.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
643 members (17CalFan, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257Bob, 12344mag, 1234, 70 invisible), 2,963 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,668
Posts18,399,405
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.