Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
re:Numero Uno
I was a gunsimth at the time I picked this 1 of 100 up, and I tried through Brownell's and Ruger to buy a #1 unbarreled action ,it was a no-go- the 1 of 100 actions came in the white, I believe the old boy had it case hardened and was probably in the process of buying wood for it, or just hadn't sent it off yet for barreling-I did not know that it was a 1 of 100 when I bought it, it was one of those things where you don't want to look at something too close for fear the price will go up-on the way home with the rifles and actions, my daughter opened the box and told me "Daddy, this has 1 of 100 on it, what does that mean?" I almost got ass-ended in traffic stopping to look at it!!!-I also got about 50 books at the same garage sale and later found that they were all autographed by the author!-these are some of the things that divorce tends to cost you-oh Hell easy come, easy go- my new wife has helped me rebuild my collection, but some things you just don't get over-gotta go now,plowing and planting oats for the deer-we have the honor of getting to have the disabled vets hunt on our place in the Hill Country and it is a great blessing to see a vet kill his first deer ever with a bow out of a stand you built just for him!! from his wheelchair at that- it gives you a rush like nothing else in this world-I hope many more landowners will get involved for these boys that gave up their arms,legs,sight, etc. for all of us, it will be the most rewarding thing they have ever done! You don't have to have a tremendous ranch, just enough land for them to hunt on, and there is no real expense-try it you'll LOVE it!!-as for the Ruger's, I don't collect them, I just love them-the one I have now is quite the looker-where is cowhouse creek? we live on the south banks of the Llano river are we neighbors?

If you don't like Robert E. Lee, you won't like it on this ranch. JGM
BP-B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
McKnight77, Where is the Ruger-1 forum? I did a web search and found several possibilities. Sounds like it would be interesting. Is the one your talking about just for No.1's?

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
cessna152,
Here it is:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RUGER-1/
There is hardly any question that has an answer or opinion that someone in this group can't respond to!!

El Numero Uno
a Serious Collector of the Ruger No.1 rifle;
a Modern Classic Sporting Arm
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Oldgunsmith,

Glad you are able to donate your time to the wounded vets.

Doc

C
C
i have a rug no1 in 250 savage i have never seen or herd of anymore------someone tell me about this---------it is a one-hole shooter----thanks MOOSE*******

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Doc,
It's not so much like we feel like we owe it to them, it's just so much fun and so rewarding. We have a son who is handicapped, so this puts the guys at ease pretty quickly, and he relates to them as well. It's a good way to reach out. Wish every hunter would give it a whirl, it makes you feel young again. Oh, by the way, one of my favorite dogs is the Chesapeake, it's just too hot here in Texas to keep one.

If you don't like Robert E. Lee, you won't like it on this ranch. JGM
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
cadron-creek,
I have never heard of one either, and I thought I had heard of just about everything. There is supposed to be the long awaited(2years) Lipsey's K1A in .250 Savage, but it has not been made yet.
I "never say never" when discussing something Ruger made, however it is more likely a custom barrel job.
Only way to know if it was made that way from the Factory is call Records; 603-865-2424. Let us know what you find out.
Or, if you would rather, PM me your serial# and I will call for you and let you know.
If it is a Factory produced .250 Savage, it is an extremely rare No.1; most likely made up for a friend of Mr. Ruger. That is the only way these "one of a kind" rifles were made.
Just like the 1A .32 S&W Long for General Vernon Megee.

El Numero Uno
1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
El Numero Uno,

Do you know about any compilation of informal records on the so-called 'lunch bucket' rifles assmbled in unusual calibers and profiles by guys in the plant as gifts or for their own use? I keep hearing bits and pieces about such "one-ofs" that trace way back to Pine Tree Castings too.

My custom 7mm BR supposedly was one such rifle. Ruger say the rifle started out as .22 Hornet #3. It is a #1A style rifle with a straight --english-style -- butt section and a slight schnable. I got it indirectly from third party who got it from a FOB.

Regards,
1B

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I was a little too specific in my previous response about "one of a kind" No.1 rifles made up for friends of Mr. Ruger. I did not mean to imply that WBR was the only one who could do this.
Two of the more special rifles in my collection are the one that Lenard Brownell made up for himself and one he made up for a friend of his in Wyoming. He also made a "one of a kind" for Stan Terhune of Pine Tree Castings. Then there are "lunch box specials" made up by employees, which to me are very interesting, but lack legitimacy. The only thing else I can add is that documented provenance is required for the rifle to have the value it deserves.
I know of no informal records on this, unless Carl Ross has recorded and documented all those he has heard of and confirmed.

El Numero Uno
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A couple years ago I "came by" a 7 Rem Mag barrel for a No.1 that is hexagon .Mr. Ruger had the custom shop build the rifle for one of his friends .Then the friend decided it needed to be in a larger caliber and brought it to my 'smith .He had never even fired it .

The barrel was removed and sent to Montana where they used it as a pattern to make a hexagon barrel in 300 win . My 'smith sold the barrel to me , knowing I like No Ones to shoot , not collect .

I bought a "donor" rifle in 270 wby intending to put the purty barrel on it . Dies came with the rifle and ---------- of course - like all intended donors - the SOB shot way to good to knock in the head .

So-------- I still have the purty barrel .Is a hex barreled No.1 rare ?

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
If your octagon barrel for a No.1 has the Ruger Factory rollmark on it, even the later "Warning..." one it is RARE!!!!
If it does have this marking, please bring it by the Dallas Market Hall Gun Show next weekend and let me look at it.'If it is not marked, then you need a letter from the friend of Bill Ruger for it to have any legitimacy.
That is just my opinion.

El Numero Uno
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I owned a lot of rare caliber No.1 early on and when they first came out, only thing is they were not rare then and I sold most of them before they became collectors...As best I recall I have owned No. 1s in 222, 218 Bee, 22 Hornet, 7x57, 30-40 Krag and I Imp that one!, I owned a few more but don't think they were collectable. 30-06, 300 Win Mag, 270, and .338 over a span of many years. I also had a custom 6x45 at one time and a 470 N.E. for about a week.

I don't shoot SS anymore but I still have a soft spot in my heart for them..They are beautiful rifles.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I owned an early issue Ruger Number One, Serial Number: 383, Cal: .308 Winchester, 22 inch light sporter barrel. The rifle was purchased used in 1969.

CDR3
C
CWG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Some day I would LOVE to have a #3 in 375 win.

Cage-Divorce Deathmatch Survivor and Lib antagonist. Stock maker by sheer luck.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had forgotten I made this post . The barrel is still at my 'smiths' place . I'll pick it up next time I'm thru there .

If it has the roll mark , are you interested in it ?

PM me if you are .

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Yes(on the octagon barrel, with Factory markings); your profile is not accepting PM's.

El Numero Uno
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hmmmmmm I don't know why it's not . I'm going to try and PM you . I went to your website but didn't see how to send you an e mail .

I fixed the PM deal .

Last edited by curdog4570; 09/29/09.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I had a 357 MAX not MAG with a letter from Ruger that it was a special order. The person who ordered it never came back to buy it so I paid what the gunstore had into the deal. I remember it was cheaper than if I wanted the 7X57 #1 they had next to it, but cannot remember the price.

The gun would not group with anything other than 200 grain FMJ for silh shooting. It also would not eject or extract rounds all of the way out. It was obvious that Ruger used a 357 mag to make this rifle.

Sold it to a hog hunter for his son. He was a closet gunsmith as well.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Interesting this came back to the top.
At the gun show this weekend a fella was selling two #1s in 7mmRM. Both were 4 digit serial numbers (#1000 series). The first one was average wood with a factory 22" barrel, $875! looked like a bruiser. For an extra $300 you could have the original rings.
The other was a standard 26" barrel, beautiful wood, $1025.
Should have got his phone# for anyone interested. Drats.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
El_Numero_Uno,

About in 95-96, I seen a No. 3 in 44 mag, looked like an aftermarket bbl, I was interested, but passed, $375 back then, it was a short handy carbine and not sure if it was factory as I don't recall seeing any markings. That was at Market Hall.

Perhaps you were there if in the DFW area?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
658 members (1234, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 74 invisible), 2,917 guests, and 1,379 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,658
Posts18,399,290
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.