Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Jm1159 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Just wanted to post a range report with my new Tikka. I painfully broke this rifle in at 50 yrds by cleaning between shots, then moved out to 100 and fired group "A" to get on paper. Then fired group "B" after estimating a scope correction, cleaned then fired group "C". Cleaned again and fired group "D". Needless to say I'm very pleased with rifle shooting cheap 165 core-lokts. My next trip will be with handloads. I own rifles that cost 10x more than a Tikka and the accuracy isn't much better than this:

[Linked Image]

BP-B6

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Flash news update. The Tikka barrel is chrome lined and there is no barrell break in process. Great groups from crap ammo though. Try running some federal fussion in it.

Disabled American Veteran. U.S. Army 2000 - 2007 Proud to have served.
J
Jm1159 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by lovesomeshootin
Flash news update. The Tikka barrel is chrome lined and there is no barrell break in process.

True but after cleaning the last 3 shot group, the amount of copper was practically down to zero. I guess its just a habit I have to follow some sought of breakin procedure, allowing the barrel to cool between shots is probably the most important thing to do

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just normal Tikka. I have a SS 7-08 and a SS 30-06 that are as boringly accurate. Don't foul, triggers are as good as it gets on factory. Not sure why I own any others............

I'm not sure on the chrome lined barrels but I know they don't foul much and flat shoot... Beyond that I don't care....
Dave

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Chrome lined? That's a new one to me...

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Chrome lined? That's a new one to me...

+1 they are lapped. Hard chrome highly doubtful .

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Now the challenge is to handload ammo that is just as accurate. Good shooting, nice report.

Karma and Trouble have busses, and there's always an empty seat.
J
Jm1159 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Thanks High Brass. I never heard the term "Chrome lined" but Tikka barrels are suppose to be identical to the true Sako. I have a Sako 338 fed and a Bansner Ultimate One on 300Winmag and I went through the breakin process with them too. Hey, its just another reason to tell the wife that I'll be at the range all day and maybe the next day too. LOL

Last edited by Jm1159; 09/16/09.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Flash news update. The Tikka barrel is chrome lined and there is no barrell break in process. Great groups from crap ammo though. Try running some federal fussion in it.

didn't know my 3 tikkas had chrome lined barrels, and didn't know core-lokt ammo was crap. I call BS to both. One thing I do know is how unbelievably accurate those Tikkas are.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Chrome lined barrels are not known for accuracy and Tikka's are very accurate as rule of thumb. I have two now and had another that I sold. I never heard anyone claim they were chrome lined before and strongly doubt that they are.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Funny thing is - for me Rem green box normally isn't very accurate but my 30-06 loves the 165's.

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I've purchased 5 Tikka's and have always had the same results. Even though the break-in process isn't for everyone, I've done it now for several decades and have found copper fouling to be either non-existent or reduced to a non-issue.

I also own a Sako which, as always, was broken in the same way. From my experience however, neither my Sako 75's barrel nor any of my T3's have chrome lined barrels. Perhaps I need some schoolin' on that, but after much readin' and conversations with the Beretta/Sako people, never has one even mentioned them having chrome lined barrels. Doesn't mean they don't, but............

Chrome lined barrels, as was mentioned, aren't touted as ultra accuracy producin' barrels, although they aren't making them less accurate these days. More round count life, yes, but not as accurate as standard chrome moly or SS barrels. In regards to stock AR barrels, Bushmaster's anyway, they only offer their chrome lined barrels in their shorties/SD models, never their varmint models.

I'd be most interested if you were to find out differently....thanks.

Nice shootin' and welcome to the cheap plastic, ugly world of unpretentious, reliable, reasonably priced and more often than not, super accurate rifles.......wink.

Last edited by magnumb; 09/16/09.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Nice shootin' and welcome to the cheap plastic, ugly world of unpretentious, reliable, reasonably priced and more often than not, super accurate rifles........
And that spells Tikka. grin

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Chrome lined? What are they putting in your drinkin' water down there in South MS?

Weiners are health food - My dad
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My buddy's 7mm Mag blued/walnut hunter runs about the same with crappy ammo.

I cooked up some handloads for him before I PCS'ed and they went into a single ragged hole. Needless to say, he's using them sparingly since I'm no longer around. wink

J
Jm1159 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I know core-lokts are not the best but I've killed a pile of deer with them over the past 30 years, most dropped in their tracks or very nearby. Now that I handload fancy bullets and powders my success rate hasn't increased a bit, deer are still dropping in their tracks or nearby. Point being, an accurate gun with core-lokts is just as good as fancy handloads. Larger game may deserve better bullets but for whitetail, core-lokts have taken more deer than any other brand combined.

Last edited by Jm1159; 09/16/09.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good advice to try the Fusion ammo. Work great in the one T3 that I've shot, 300 WSM.

I'm seriously toying with selling my Sendero 300 Win next year, and going for a nice lightweight rifle.

Studied them all, and I just can't think of a reason to justify spending considerably more dough on something that hopefully will shoot and handle almost as good as a T3...although the Sako A7 has piqued my interest, albeit it's a bit heavier.

Will be in 270 WSM when it happens.

Last edited by sir_springer; 09/16/09.
J
Jm1159 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Fusions are very accurate in my buddy's Vanguard. Would like to start toying with some handloads but I have alot of other rifles I'm currently working up loads for.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Not one of my 6 Tikkas is chrome lined.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
FWIW 165 Fusions print exactly the same on paper and on game as Remington 165 Core Lokts. Both loads shoot right about and inch out of my SS T3 30-06.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
672 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 74 invisible), 3,190 guests, and 1,465 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,673
Posts18,399,532
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.