24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
OP Offline
B
Hello There guys I'm new to the forum and had a question about breaking in my 300 win mag. I hear it's important and wondered if there is an instructional on the website or online that I could follow to make this happen with my rifle. Basically giving me step by step instructions on how to do it. Thanks in advance for your help.

BP-B2

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
It is probably too bad that you have asked this question as your debut on the board. It will generate opinions all over the board, perhaps even some strongly worded ones (based on past go arounds on this issue.) So rather than getting a clear consensus, you may come away thinking that we don't know what we are talking about, and not only that, are kinda mean about it.

Some people will tell you that you can go out and shoot it just as hard as you want, right from the start. Others use a far more intricate and time consuming shoot/clean/shoot/clean regimen for the first 20-50 shots.

The problem is that no one really knows for sure--no one has done the kind of controlled measurement over a large enough sample to know definitively.

My approach, for what it is worth, has changed a lot over the past few years. First, if this is a new barrel, I would clean it really well to make sure there is no fouling from any proof shots at the factory. Then I would coat it with Ultra Bore Coat, following the directions carefully. I have used that product on some barrels recently, and think that it has a far bigger positive effect than the old painstaking break in procedures I used. Barrels I have put it in foul much less and require less cleaning than my experience would expect, and that includes big magnums that should be prone to copper fouling (like your 300 mag).

Welcome aboard.

B
OP Offline
B
Thanks for your opinion and your reply.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I "broke in" my Kimber 308 and it shoots good. Don't know if that is why, but it shoots good. I took 10 rounds and a cleaning kit to the back yard. Start by cleaning, then clean between each shot for the first 10 shots. Use a copper solvent cleaner. I used Shooters Choice. Do this all in one session so it gets done and you don't forget or lose count. After this break in, just shoot the gun as desired and only clean it again if accuracy falls off.

-

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I would recomend this !
Shoot it, if it shoots good, you don't need to break it in.
If it shoots poorly then follow the break in procedure on the Pac-Nor web site...tj3006

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is always a fun one.

If you ask folks who haven't worn out multiple barrels and seen them go thru their life cycles they'll say no to barrel break in.

If, you talk with people who have worn out multoiples of tubes and seen them go thru their life cycles they'll say by all means break it in!

I'm from the second camp.

The other thing you'll find is from people who don't break em in. Is that the tubes shoot well so they think that breaking in a tube doesn't do them any good...They're wrong. And if they shot them enough to go thru their life cycle they'd see why. But if they don't truly shoot much they'll never know the diff. And in all honesty, most people are in the camp of never shooting enough to wear out tubes.

Not wrong, just different.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Ha! Don't let anyone fool you, go shoot your gun and don't worry about it. Clean it when it stops shooting good, don't clean it until it stops shooting good. I clean my rifles once a year, one a new .257 Roberts has had a pound of H4350 through it and 1/2 pound of IMR4350. It still shoots 3/4 inch groups. When I clean it I will have to refoul the barrel again before it starts to shoot right! Clean guns do not shoot right! I call BS on gun cleaning and breaking in! If you absolutely have to break in your rifle you absolutely use this technique. He shows a good break in and shooting a 700 yard target.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRRahHX9Zkg

Last edited by jimmyp; 09/15/09. Reason: add

B
OP Offline
B
Thanks for the advice guys that was a funny video....

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
there is no "right" answer to the break-in question. some do, some don't, and both camps will usually argue their point.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I generally don't break in barrels by the one-shot/clean method anymore. And yes, I have worn out a few barrels.

With custom hand-lapped barrels I may fire a few bullets (maybe 5) with a mild abrasive just to smooth out the tool-marks in the throat, which should be the only tool-marks in such a barrel. Or I may not, if it shoots really well from the beginning.

With a factory barrel I may do the same, but if it looks like it's going to be a real fouler I do the Ultra Bore Coat thing. It's a lot easier than one-shot/clean, and usually the bore ends up being significantly more foul-free.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Past few days we've been shooting a new Brux barrel in 300 RUM.It needed breaking in.....about 10-15 rounds.Now it just shoves bullets it likes into 1/2" grin

I think it's seasoned enough.......

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
LMAO!

I miss ole Stick.....

All American

All the time
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The first thing I do is clean the barrel before I ever fire a shot because I don't know whats in there..After that I just shoot them and clean them once or twice a year but pull a boresnake through them every 50 or so rounds.

I have done it both ways and I cannot tell any difference as far as a hunting rifle goes..I will say I am pretty certain you would not be much more than a couple of thousands more accurate with all the mess and fuss or barrel break in..

Every Lother Walther barrels I have owned has shot under an inch with and without breakin..I get the same reports from Jim Brockman, Jack Belk, and others on LW barrels..Their polishing process is so unique that breakin might be counter productive??

Fact is I don't know and I don't care, mine shoot extemely well without breaking them in with a method, so I'm good to go without all the hoopla..It only makes since anyway because a barrel shoots best after 200 to 300 rounds so I would call that break in..I also believe a barrel will shoot or it won't and if it won't I just rebarrel it and use the other one for a tent stake.

Some folks like breaking in barrels, its all part of the game and so its a good thing..Some folks get bored with such antics so they just shoot the guns and that breaks them in well enough and thats also a good thing, you don't have to do anything but just shoot them for hunting accuracy.

The choice is yours.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
CLeaning between every shot for the first few, eveyr couple after that, every five after that and so on... doesn't take any amount of time.

It certainly has proven itself time and again for me. Fouling wise at least.

And I note that the folks that say it doesn't need to be done, generally are not bragging about accuracy, .75 or 1 moa is a JUNK barrel IMHO.

YMMV, my thoughts on it, its never hurt a barrel to properly break it in, and if it takes and extra hour or two of time and you don't have it, youdon't have lifes' priorities straight.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Kimber is the only rifle I "broke-in" of the hundreds owned. Not sure why I did it. Call it a phase, like my Scotch phase, and my cigar phase, and my beer phase, and...

-

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
First, before shooting it at all, patch it out thoroughly to remove the Great Green Gobs of Greasy Grimy Gopher Guts that the manufacturing and proofing process leave in there... you'll get some MAJOR crud out, possibly including little metal shavings and whatnot. Get it out of there.

Then, shoot a few rounds and clean it again reasonably well.

Then, shoot 10-20 rounds and clean it again.

Then, stop worrying about it and just shoot the sucker until it pukes (accuracy drops off) and clean it. This will vary greatly from tube to tube; could be dozens of rounds, could be hundreds. A couple of mine shoot noticeably better clean (or at least not "fouled")... a couple shoot noticeably better somewhat dirty!

More barrels are screwed up, by FAR, by improper cleaning than by lack of cleaning. Clean from the breech end, use a solid (not segmented or coated) stainless steel rod, and use a rod guide that fits into the chamber mouth to keep from messing up the throat.

That's my opinion. I'm no expert, I could be wrong, but it's what I do and hey... you asked!

Welcome, by the way! smile

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Hey if you know how to clean correctly you'll never damage a bore by cleaning it.....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Agreed

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
OP Offline
B
Guys I never thought this website could be so great in answering questions and I am truly grateful. I have received alot of information that I did not expect to receive so for that thanks.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
650 members (1badf350, 09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 71 invisible), 2,665 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,603
Posts18,398,309
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.