24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
OP Offline
F
Can I put a different barrel in a different caliber for the Remington 700 SPS as long as they are the same action (long/short)?

For instance, I have a Remington 700 SPS that came with a factory .270 WIN barrel. Can I safely put on a Remington 700 take-off barrel in 30-06 or 25-06 without having any complications with firing/accuracy? I know they are the same long action, so I was thinking maybe this is okay but I needed an expert advice. Or am I just 'doomed' to dealing with only .270 WIN barrels from here on out?
If there are other calibers that would work with my long action Remington 700 SPS, what are they? I'm interested in possibly finding a rifle in a caliber with less kick for my girlfriend to try and shoot.

Also, I'm guessing because its long action it would not be okay to put a barrel in a short action such as .308 in it b/c I have a long action, am I correct? Or is it okay to do so?

Last edited by fishinnstudyin; 09/18/09.
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The bolt head is more important than the action length in your case. IIRC, the bolt head of the '06 measures .473. You can use almost any round with the same Dia. In your long action you could consider 7x57, 6mm Rem, 308, 243, 7mm-08, etc. You might try swapping rifles with someone rather than re-barreling. Are you aware that Remington makes managed recoil ammo for the 270? If you reload ( may be a good time to start ) you can load lighter bullets at less velocity to suit your recoil needs. Good that you are encouraging your GF to shoot.

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
As like2shoot says, most any cartridge with a .473 rim will work, however you might have a bit of feeding issues with SA rounds like the .308...

The main thing about installing another take-off barrel is the factor of headspace..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
The above posters pretty much covered it. Any cartridge with the same (commonly called "standard" or "308 sized") head diameter will work, and preferably staying with a long action round.

Two other considerations for your girlfriend.... by your handle it looks like you may be a student, and therefore watching the funds for now, but if possible consider a "smaller" round. Something like the 243, 260, 7mm-08, etc. By the time you figure the cost of a rebarrel, you can probably find a used Savage for about the same cash output, and have an extra rifle. Figuring though that may not be an option, yet, think about either handloading some lighter 270 rounds (a 110 grain bullet at a slightly slower velocity is a pussycat), or look into the Managed Recoil or Reduced Recoil factory offerings. They basically do the same thing (lighter slower bullet). Start her off right with something she's going to enjoy and she's much more likely to keep shooting with you.

Have fun shooting with her, and good for you on trying to get another female involved in shooting (even if there are alterior motives.... wink ).

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Has your G/F shot before?

If not, peruse the shops and get her a cheapie Bolt action .22 to start out with. Something Like a Remington 510, Savage MKII, or something along those lines.

Buddy of mine thought it wise to teach his girl how to shoot with a Springfield V10 in .45, and a Win 70 in .300 Winmag. She hasn't shot since.

NRA Life Member
IC B2

F
OP Offline
F
She's shot a .22. Nothing scary about that. I'm trying to upgrade her to something that will kill a deer. I was wondering about the barrels because I know some people who buy a Remington 700 and sell their take off factory barrel for only about $40-50. Seemed like a cheap way to shoot different calibers by removing/changing the barrels...

At the same time, say I wanted to try killing bigger game than a deer, say moose or even a bear (doubt it though), upgrading to a 30-06 without buying a new gun would have been nice..

Last edited by fishinnstudyin; 09/18/09.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
there is a SS 700 barrel in 7-08 in the classified's right now for about $75 or so dollars.
That would make a great round for her or anyone else for that matter.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
fishinstudyin,
You can buy the takeoff barrels cheap but you will have to pay someone to put them on unless you have the tools and the headspace gauges yourself.
Try loading them down a little bit.
For example I load the 125 gr in my wife's .308 and my boys 30-06.
Makes a big difference.
Factory Remington Managed recoil is available as well.
You can kill a moose or bear with your 270 just fine.
Get yourself a Speer loading manual, they always have a reduced rifle load in every caliber.
IMR 4759 and a light bullet makes for some pretty light recoil.
I bet she would love her own 22 rimfire though!
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
692 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 71 invisible), 2,700 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,688
Posts18,399,775
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.