Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I know that those who are loading true wildcats or searching for extreme loads and pushing the envelope will not fit this question.

But...

Does anybody here load without a chrono? Long term reloading--like year after year deer loads in your .308, just watching for accuracy and pressure signs?

Anyone ever have problems doing this?

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I do a little reloading. I don't go over max listed powder. I haven't had any problems but then, I'm a low volume shooter. I want to get a chrony but haven't yet.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I did for about 35 years but do have one now. I looked at several manuals and watched for signs of pressure. It worked just fine. I do, however, like knowing how fast my reloads are going. I am surprised at how slow some are.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Almost 30 years without a chrono although I did get one for Christmas last year. When developing loads, I simply picked the bullet I wanted, went with the book charges, and looked for the best accuracy.

Usually, I found that I was about 2 grains lower than max, case life is long, and no primer pocket problems. The deer and groundhogs don't seem to know or care what my velocity is.

I do have an area where I can shoot to 300 yds so I had actual drop figures, I didn't need to 'guestimate' using velocity and BC etc.

Dale

This space for rent

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I only use the chrono at the range, I've never loaded with one.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Without? not since 1981. I will not be without one again. Bear

Bear

Life is what happens to you as you are making other plans.

NRA Patron Member
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Why would anyone want to reload without a chrony? Velocity is such an important piece of the puzzle it's almost like testing your loads without using a target. I have had so many loads that had wide variances in velocity from the manual that it's almost the norm. In fact, I'm surprised when they do match. The chrony is about the only way most of us have to guage the pressure.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Been handloading for 30+ years, the first 15 without a Chrony, the last 15 with one. While I could get by without one I don't ever intend to work up loads again unless I use one - there is too much knowledge to be gained by using a chronograph.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When the woodchuck union forbid me to shoot them with anything under 3300FPS, I had to break down and buy one.

No, I don't have one. That may change when I start playing with the 220 Swift, but everything I reload is a meat & potato cartridge.

I haven't seen the need, otherwise. The ultimate proof for me is not the velocity, it's the cold barrel shot.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I don't do load development over a chrono accuracy first and after I try my deer/elk loads out to 300yds and if they are still accurate then I'll chrono maybe.

Some how from 1965 to 1985 I did without acouple years ago build a 280AI took me 2yrd before I chrono any loads. I've got real good load for my Lawton barrel 270WSM with 140gr TSX and R-17 and I may chrono that after hunting season.

Chrono a tool and I got some nice varmit rifles loads never been over a chrono. Well good luck

USMC
Life Member VFW
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
If a chronograph cost $1K I could understand it, but it's like a couple pounds of powder.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Never without!

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A chrono is a v-good eye opener. One of the best investment a reloader can do along with a runout gauge.

[Linked Image]
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Bought a Chrony 10 years ago, and have never used it. I just don't need the information the chronograph provides.
YMMV

Don

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
folks reloaded for a loooong time before Chrony came out with one cheap enough for the average joe to own. I reloaded for a lot of years without one. They are one of the nicer things to have however.

Aim for the exit hole.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The chronograph just adds to the number of tools that need to be used consistently. Set up your chrony different than how you set it up before, and your readings can vary. Shoot over the chrony a little higher or lower than the shot before, and you might get a different reading. Weather conditions can change the readings. Even with that, I find that developing loads without one is like working blind, and I will not finalize a load without a complete workout over the chrony. Just keep in mind when you first run your favorite 270 Win load, or which ever pet load, over the chronograph for the first time and it only reads 2880fps, that is not telling you to go back to the bench and add 4 more grains of powder. The chronograph tells you what you have, not where you should strive to be.

This is God's universe, and he has a plan. You might think that you have aa better plan, but you don't have a universe.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"Does anybody here load without a chrono? Long term reloading--like year after year deer loads in your .308, just watching for accuracy and pressure signs?"

Modern reloading, as we know it today, began in the mid 20s. NONE of us common folk had chronographs until maybe the early 60s and precious few of us had one until the early 90s or so. That means a LOT of shooting and load developement was done, well, without any speed clock.

MANY of us still do it the old way. Knowing the actual speed really isn't very important for hunting or even serious competition ammo used inside 250 or so yards. There's very little practical difference in the trajectory or terminal energy if a round is anywhere near what it should be. Most reloads are at least nearly right!

So, while they are interesting it's a fact that a chronograph, as such, is of little real use for developing an excellant hunting or casual target load.

Chronographs are nice and I like to use my 18 year old model but if it crapped out tomorrow I doubt I'd bother to replace it. The itch to know speeds has been scratched and I don't need it. Never did really, but I just had to try one, right? wink

Last edited by boomtube; 09/19/09.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
All the talk about actual velocities being lower than book velocities has me wondering why a person needs a chrony for load development if you stay below the max powder charge.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Sure makes hitting Crown Royal boxes easier at 700 yards knowing the velocity.

Much is lost on many.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Judging from the number of people who come to me and ask what that thing is - and then show no sign of recognition when I say "Chronograph," I'd have to say that the majority of shooters not only don't have one but haven't a clue what one is.

I've long said that not every reloader needs one. Some of the posts above demonstrate what kind of reloader doesn't: the guy who doesn't push maximums, finds and keeps one or two good loads for his rifle, doesn't shoot much and does load development little if at all.

The guy who demands more of his loads needs one. The accuracy nut, the guy who likes to load to maximum, the guy who loads unusual or wildcat cartridges, or just the guy who loves to experiment - all those people need one. It needn't be the best one made, as long as it is mostly reliable.

The guy who writes about load development, works with cartridges or components for which there is no tested data, or is simply never happy with anything but the very best needs not just a basic unit but a premium one.

And then there's the guy one half-notch above even THOSE far-gone fanatics. That last guy needs a pressure measuring unit in addition to a top-end chronograph.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (219DW, 204guy, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 48 invisible), 1,857 guests, and 1,055 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,182
Posts18,465,649
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.