-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Needin a scope for my smokeless savage ,, what's the skinny on the Nikon Omega BDC?
Thanks

GB1

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I would look at Vortex.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Don't know about the Nikon Omega BDC or the Vortex, but I've used a Monarch 4x40 and a Conquest 4x32 on mine. I've loved them both. I think you can still find the Conquest (tt Doug http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/zeiss.pl?page=521405 ), but they discontinued the Monarch.

JCM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 3-9 Mueller on mine. It's OK, and has shed monsoon waters so it seems pretty reliable. I haven't been disappointed in the clarity for the ranges the gun shoots. But it's a red-dot scope that takes a battery, and the battery compartment is above the ocular lens. It gets a little under my skin because it's always bumping the brim of my hat when I raise it to my eye.

The Savage 10ML is accurate and reaches out very well for a muzzleloader. I would think you'll find lots of 3-9 scopes that you'll like on it, from the middle shelf on up.

I'll be watching this thread in case I decide to make a change.

Steve

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
A friend of mine has a Nikon Omega on his TC. While it seems work well for him, I find the reticle a bit cluttered for my taste.
I put a older straight 3x Leupold with the post & duplex on my Savage. grin

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson
IC B2

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Most any quality scope will work well on the Savage. If you are going to burn smokeless powder, you won't be concerned about the caustic effects of blackpowder or some of the substitutes. I put a Swarovski PH 1.5x6x42 on mine and consider it a perfect fit. That may seem a little overkill on a ML but since we can't hunt bucks with highpower rifles here so my Savage is my main deer gun when in the home state.

If I wanted a less costly quality scope, I'd look at Leupold VXII's, Nikon Monarchs, or similar.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My Savage wears a Bushnell Elite 4200 in 3-9x40 that has worked out just perfectly for me.

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I use Leupolds on my two Savages, one wears a 3.5-10x and the other a 2.5-8x. Both have the standard duplex reticles which I would recommend. I just bought a Nikon Slug Hunter scope with the BDC reticle and found it basically useless. The supposed zero ranges for the various circles weren't anywhere close to being correct.

C
CLG Offline
C
I use the Leupold 6x42 with the LR reticle on my Savage 10ML II with thumbhole stock.

The fixed power Leupold is "tank tough" and allows plenty of magnification for the ranges that the smokeless Savage loads will be utilized.

In addition, the LR reticle allows a distinct reference point for holding dead on out to 300 yards with proper loads.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I've had a few different scopes mounted on mine....Mueller 2-7x32, Elite 3200 3-9x40, Leupold FXIII 6x42, and probably a few others. The best advise I can give you would be to get a variable that goes down to 1.5 or 2x.

The reason I say this is that most deer are shot well within 100 yards - especially here in states where deer hunting with a centerfire rifle isn't permitted. Even 3x magnification can be a real hassle when one surprises you at 10-25 yards.

It really boils down to how/where you hunt. If you hunt primarily from a stand in the woods or stalking/driving, a low power scope will serve you better. Conversely, if you mainly hunt from a stand overlooking a field, something with 7-10x magnification on the high end would probably serve you better.

Something like the Bushnell Elite 6500 1.5-8x32 or Swarovski Z6 1.7-10x42 would be ideal as a dual-role scope as they offer the low magnification for close-in shots while retaining the higher magnification for longer shots. Only problem is that they're a little pricey (especially the Swaro at $1800!).

As long as there's still lead in the air, there's still hope!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
I run a Leupold vari-xII 2x7 on my 10ML II and it works fine for me!!!

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
from what i understand about the BDC reticle, they are "set" for using a 250g bullet and 150g of pellets.

so in other words, unless you shoot that exact load, the drop reticles will be useless.

which, makes it a useless scope.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The Omega is a good scope.

I put a cheap Simmons Aetec on my Savage about 6 years ago for load work. It worked quite well, so I left it on and after 6 years of torture its never lost zero.

I hate cheap scopes, but I must have gotten lucky on the Aetec.

The Omega has pretty good glass and good eye relief. Not a bad option. May want to check out Natchez or ebay, usually some good deals on those scopes.

Good Luck

loder

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by smalljawbasser
from what i understand about the BDC reticle, they are "set" for using a 250g bullet and 150g of pellets.

so in other words, unless you shoot that exact load, the drop reticles will be useless.

which, makes it a useless scope.

Not useless, you just have to find what ranges the reticles are set for just like any other trajectory compensating reticle with various loads in rifles.

loder

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 51 invisible), 2,627 guests, and 1,126 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,312
Posts18,468,225
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.