Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
CRS Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I just purchased a Model 70 classic in 300 Rem Ultr Mag. I plan on converting it to a 404 Jeffery.

Any words of advice or wisdom. Anyone been there, done that?
Barrel will be a Krieger. What contour? Length will be 22-23"

Can this just be a barrel swap/chamber and tweaking the feeding?

I thought I read somewhere that the mag box and follower may need to be changed.

I plan on using Brockman's pop up peep Talley base and a NECG front sight. Will probably end up in a McMillan stock.

I don't think I will go the drop box route, as a Sunnyhill bottom is $500, and I don't know if one extra $$ is worth it.

Just looking for input and discussion.

Arcus Venator
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Re-barrel and chamber.

Bolt face may need a clean-up cut but usually not.

A 375 H&H or STW follower seems to work better with the 404.

That will get it feeding 99%...getting 100%, especially with flat nosed solids will take a bit of tweaking.

I usually replace the mag spring with a Mauser or Remington spring...either is a little stiffer than the Winchester one.

Oh, and don't forget to replace the extractor with a Williams, just for peace of mind.

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Rebarrel and tweek for 100% function, but you should do that with any conversion. Always need tweeking, that makes all the difference int he world on a DG rifle..

You picked the right rifle for the conversion. In fact its about the only one that works short of a magnum Mauser M-20 type action..I have had several 404 on std. Mausers and they work 99% ot the time, but everyone of them had a hole in it someplace regardless of the claims of the guys that did the metal work..The sole exceptions that I have owned were a factory FN Mauser and an original Jefferys..

If I were to build one today I think I would opt for the 404 Ruger Wildcat and bet it becomes a factory job in time.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Headed down the same route as you. I too just purchased a M70 Classic SS in 300RUM for a 404 NE conversion. I'm planning on a wood stock, but otherwise similar to your build. There's a thread at https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._Opinions_requested_Base_act#Post3315171 with opinions and advice on this topic. Keep us posted on your progress. Good luck.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Send them to Roger Farrell he'll fix them right up.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

IC B2

CRS Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
If I were to build one today I think I would opt for the 404 Ruger Wildcat and bet it becomes a factory job in time

I've kicked aroungd the idea, but a Jeffery is just a little more classic and is currently a factory round.

The 416 Ruger would be an option too, but then you lose the nostalgia. I am not a Ruger rifle fan.

I am debating the need for a Sunny Hill drop box to go with the Mcmillan Safari stock, or the Supergrade stock and be done with it. The Safari has some cast built right in, but maybe Mcmillan could put some in on the Supergrade.

I imagine the benefit is 4 down vs 3, but at $500 for the metal it is an awful expensive extra cartridge in the magazine.

Any advice on barrel contour and twist. I see most offer a 14 twist, but Krieger is 16. Looks like a #5 is about as small as one should go. And #5 is as big as the Mcmillan will accept.%

Arcus Venator
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Having developed the 404 Ruger wildcat, it holds a special place for me. The trip to Africa proved it performs ballistically just as well as the 404 Jeffery does. https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._Experience_with_a_404_375_R#Post3271776
That said, the 404 NE was the inspiration for the 404 Ruger and is IMO the ultimate classic cartridge in a magazine DGR.

Ray, hope you're right about factory adoption it would make availability of properly marked cases a heck of a lot easier.
[Linked Image]

416 Ruger (left) and 404 Ruger (right)
[Linked Image]

404 Ruger
[Linked Image]

Two takes on the 404 - Jeffery Classic (right), modern Ruger (left)
[Linked Image]

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

L
LRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Just my opinion:

If you were putting a wood stock on the gun then I would go with the dropbox. Plastic stock forget the expense. 3 vs 4 down won't matter.

The drop box only looks cool and only in wood. IMHO.

As for contour you need enough meat but remember the weight issue if you have to carry it far (unless you bring a wife or other gun barer. smile )

I like the peep sights idea. Nothing faster in my opinion.

Save the Earth...its the only planet with chocolate!
CRS Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have another question about twist rate.

When I plug in the woodleigh bullet lengths into twist calculators, I am getting 22 to 26 inch twist.

All the barrel makers list 12-16? I am a little puzzled as to why this is. Wouldn't a slower twist help tame some of the recoil torque? That was one of the issues I had with my Rigby, it wanted to twist out of my hand in addition to pounding me hard.

Arcus Venator
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I would definatly opt for a drop box in a 404 Jefferys, its the only way to go IMO...You can get 4 down as opposed to probably two and maybe 3 down.

Using SS and plastics voids all notion of nostalgia in a 404 Jefferys, it will make any honorable African oficiando roll up in a fetal ball and cry like a baby! smile smile Wood and rust blue is the only sane approach least you be stringhaulter and gilflurted by some African PH! smile

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

440 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 41 invisible), 2,548 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,411
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.