Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I have a fairly old 39A and like using my Lyman 66 reciever sight, but I cant find a front sight that is satisfactory. Does anyone have suggestions? Has anyone tried the Shaver Crosshair inserts that can be put into the Lyman Target Front sight globe? Is this sight combo worth the money? I have tried a regular post insert in the globe sight, but couldnt see it against a grey squirrel. So I tried one of the fiber optic beads, but it is sensitive to light conditions. Accuaracy goes all to h*** when the sun is shining. Reflects at odd angles, so you shoot opposite of where the sun is shining from, just like a brass bead. What do you suggest? I just put my Simmons 1.5x scope back on the rifle, but this is not satisfactory either. The stock just was not made for scope use.

Thanks, Rex.

PS. Has anyone used the AO post front sights?

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Rex, I have a Williams receiver sight on my Winchester 9422M. As part of the deal, I got a hooded front sight with a white vertical stripe. Easily the most visible front sight I've ever used that didn't require batteries, especially against a dark background. I think the front sight was by Williams also. Don't see why it wouldn't work with a Lyman peep as well as with a Wms.

My grandfather used to brighten his front sight blade with red paint - but I prefer white, especially when the background is a wad of oak leaves.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
RexM

I was finally forced to put a scope on my 1897CL (39a) due to my poor eyesight. But before that, I had a Marbles Tang sight and a Lyman 17A Globe sight on her.

My favorate set up for squirrel hunting was a combination of Lee Shaver inserts. I used the small post and bead combined with the crosshairs. This pic doesn't show it, but I wound up painting the bead of the post & bead white. This helped tremendously with dark backgrounds.

[Linked Image]

I wound up putting a Burris 4-12X32 on her and just love it. I generally hunt with the scope set at 4 power, but if I need to I can crank her up to 12X and get up close & personal.

I must admit though, the gun looked and handled so much better with the tang/globe sight set up as opposed to the scope.

firstshot

----------------------------------

Make your first shot count!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (10Glocks, 257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 66 invisible), 2,638 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,672
Posts18,456,039
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.