24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I purchased a Lyman DPS 1200 several years ago Unit was DOA. Returned it and got a free replacement. Loaded up 4-5 boxes of ammo and the thing died. Sent it to Lyman and they replaced the keypad. I put the thing on the shelf because it was such a PIA to change powders. I bought the upgrade kit this year and all was well. Loaded a box of 243 perfectly yesterday! Today, the scale won't work. Keypad is operating and it will dispense, but won't stop because the scale continues to read zero. I called Lyman CS, but they are not answering the phone today! Anybody here run into a similar problem?

HR IC

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Mine has worked like a charm with one exception when it was throwing weird loads. The nice lady on the phone said take a anti-cling sheet like you throw in the dryer to keep stuff from sticking together and wipe the entire machine down. Gently remove the plate that the little gold powder pan sits on. Yes it will come up. Clean under it and wipe it down and put it back and generaly everything else. Inside and outside of the powder tube. Take the powder box out and wipe it down..... You get the picture. Seems the electronics and the powder flow causes static electricity.
Nowadays I just wipe down the outsides every once in a while with a anti-cling sheet and call it happy. I haven't had any more problems.
I guess we have a different definition of PIA. I've had mine for about 10 years and I think it's great.

Aim for the exit hole.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Could you tell me how you removed the plate that the powder pan sits on? I suspect the problem is under that pan.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have you tried turning the unit off and restarting it? Have you also tried re-zero'ing the unit?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why not just invest in a top notch powder thrower? I've loaded tens of thousands of rounds with my Redding BR-3 powder measure. No downtime, faster then waiting something that may work, or may not work to meter out the powder, whats not to like?

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I unplugged the unit for several hours, moved it to my kitchen on a level granite counter top and then rebooted and tried to re-zero. The scale is still non-operational, the keyboard and dispenser work fine. Incidentally, I have RCBS powder measure, scale and trickler. I think there is something, possibly powder granules, jammed under the scale platen. I tried pushing down carefully on the pan and can not detect any downward movement.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can usually clear anything from under the plate by blowing as hard as I can from the top side, or lifting the unit up and blowing at the plate from underneath...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I had the same trepidation you do but the lady said it will come up. Just pry up a bit on first one side and them the other. It's kinda pressed on. It will come up. Have faith. smile

458Lott, I have a BR-3 also. Strange but I find uses for both of them.

Aim for the exit hole.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Stoneybroke
Could you tell me how you removed the plate that the powder pan sits on? I suspect the problem is under that pan.

I use a teaspoon and pried it up and pulled it off. Turn the scale upside down as the powder kernels will get underneath the base of the load cell. To replace the platform simply push it down until it won't go anymore. My DPS 3 is the best tool on my bench. I bet that lady at Lyman can repeat these steps in their sleep.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Of all the cotton pickin bad luck. I sat down this morning to begin some loading and my DPS3 is d.o.a.. It won't come on. Evidently reading this post last night placed a hex on it.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Stoneybroke
I purchased a Lyman DPS 1200 several years ago Unit was DOA. Returned it and got a free replacement. Loaded up 4-5 boxes of ammo and the thing died. Sent it to Lyman and they replaced the keypad. I put the thing on the shelf because it was such a PIA to change powders. I bought the upgrade kit this year and all was well. Loaded a box of 243 perfectly yesterday! Today, the scale won't work. Keypad is operating and it will dispense, but won't stop because the scale continues to read zero. I called Lyman CS, but they are not answering the phone today! Anybody here run into a similar problem?

I've not had that problem with mine; I do agree that changing powders is just slightly more convenient than changing your long underwear outside, in a blizzard, at night, in the dark, with a howling wind,...

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well, the good news is that the upgrade kit makes changing powders a snap. My bad news is: I got the platen off of the scale using the spoon trick and found a few grains of powder in there. Unfortunately, the scale is still down. My best guess is that the load cell died. I guess I'll box it up and send it to Lyman. I never keep boxes, but I kept that one for years. If its over $50, they can keep it for parts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I sent mine back to Lyman when the keypad was acting insensitive, and they replaced the faulty parts and sent it back to me with no charge, even after the warranty period had expired...

Reloader,
Try unplugging the unit and plug it back in. One time we had a lightning storm here and the power went out with the unit plugged in and turned on. I tried turning it back on and it wouldn't work. I unplugged the unit and left it unplugged overnight. Then I plugged it back in in the morning and it fired right up.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I THINK I read somewhere in the instruction DO NOT TURN THE UNIT UPSIDE DOWN?????
One problem with all this electronic gear is power. (unless you live in the country with a generator smile smile smile )

Aim for the exit hole.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I do live in the country and have a 10K whole house generator. ALL of my electronic equipment, including this pc, has automatic battery backup. Two reasons: The generator will not boot up until the power is down for 20 seconds and when it starts power will surge for up to a minute until everything stabilizes. I got an Email from Lyman today telling me to send the unit in with cover letter and telephone number. It will go ASAp, then we'll see.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Good luck. I had one of the first 1200 DPS units. It was a happy day when I sold it. Haven't replaced it yet, but when I do, it will be with an RCBS Chargemaster combo.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I got a letter from Lyman today. First, they said nothing was wrong with my old DPS with upgrade installed. Yeah Right! They have given me a choice: I can accept the return of the DPS at no charge or give them $150.00 for a new DPSIII, and they will keep my old machine. I don't think I'll ever be confortable with old unit. I know damn well that it was broken-for the third time. I'm going to call them next week and if the DPSIII is actually new-not refurbished, I think I'll bite.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I received my DPS3 within two weeks. It was repaired and fully functional at no charge to me even though, as Jordan stated, the warranty was way past expiration. I am a happy loader again.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
87 members (10gaugemag, 99Ozarks, 257robertsimp, akshooting, 14 invisible), 1,647 guests, and 746 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,756
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.