Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3389056 10/15/09
Ranch13 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
One of the most oft used rationalization for not shooting bp is the " hard to cleanup" talking point.
Well its not that hard.
Push a dry patch on a jag down the bore. Follow with a couple of damp (not wet, plain water will suffice) , then a dry. If the dry shows powder fouling repeat the damp . After the clean dry patch comes out, if there's no leading trace, use that same dry patch with your favored oil (3n1,Ballistol,remoil....) to run thru the bore and your done.
Case cleanup is just as simple.
Punch the primers (or not) put the cases in a jug of water with detergent/soap (oxyclean,simplegreen,dawn,tide,,,,) shake them around until the water is black, lay them out to dry. When they're dry you can choose to load again (or if you don't like grungy ugly cases) run them thru the "tumbler"
Takes about as long to read this as it does to do it.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'll add to Don's post that clean up from black powder is far easier than any smokeless I've ever used. Three wet patches, two dry and one waxed through my rifle is generally enough. Those of you that shoot paper patched bullets know that clean up is even faster than with greasers. And the method used for cleaning cases?... wet tumbling with ceramic media is a good way to go. The latter maybe slightly more time consuming but makes for shooting better ammunition.

TL

Ranch13 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
George good to see ya here.

How about a report on Cry Baby Canyon???????

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Don,

Cry Baby Canyon did not happen this year. Got rained out. There will be more news in the future regarding a next match. More than likely, next year. Stay tuned.

I will say this, the Cry Baby Canyon range is one helluva nice place to shoot. Layout is superb.

No more info at this time.

TL

The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first.

Unk
Ranch13 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well guess I'll just stay tuned then...

www.historicshooting.com
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Black powder muzzleloader shotguns are even quicker! Plug the nipple or vent, pour in some cold water and slosh it around and pour it out. Repeat a couple times and then start pushing some tight wet patches down bore. After that, force some water through the nipple or vent under pressure from a tight patch or ramrod, dry and oil. Remove the nipple and squirt a shot of water absorber into the hole, alcohol or WD, return to gun and put it away. No breech scrapers, no brushes, no muss no fuss.

Dan

Last edited by Dan_Chamberlain; 10/19/09.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

621 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 66 invisible), 2,933 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,704
Posts18,456,820
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.