Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Yes they will attack a human.

Go to varmintal.com [varmint al] and look at all the attacks he has compiled.
A teenage boy [15yrs] was attacked in resaca georgia about four years ago and said had he not had his 22 rifle he would have been killed.3-4 coyotes came out of the blue and started shredding him -many stitches and wounds.
My nephew Jason was chased and bitten by 2 coyotes -my brother killed them with a shotgun.

There have been countless children attacked by coyotes -many were trying to drag the children off while adults beat them.
Arizona has the highest attack rate.

Don't show any fear or you might get bitten.

Animals are smarter than many people give them cridit for.
I use to own a couple of jet-ski rental businesses and have seen crows sit and watch people spead their stuff out on a picnic blanket.Often times the adults would leave their small children sitting on the blanket then wade out into the water a short distance although still looking back at the children -when they were far enough away the crows would mob the food and pay no attention to the fact that a small child was sceaming bloody murder -scared by the crows.
The crows would stand face to face with the sceaming babies and flip the food containers everywhere -basically wreck the place until the adults got close enough to run them off.
I use to trap the crows with snares made out of fishing line or small treble hooks and line then break their wings and let them go.
After my girlfriend saw them do the mob the food thing she thought it was funny seeing them flip and flop trying to fly.
FACT - i kill every coyote i see period -newborn pup =bang -i'm a true varmint hunter to the full extent of the word!

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I guess its like the black bears. They have become so habituated to humans --and eating their garbage-- that they look at a human as a food source.
"breaking a crow's wings and watching it flop around....." pretty sick. I don't have a problem with killing them but it's not their fault they're smarter than the kids parents.

Aim for the exit hole.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Also put firecrackers up their ass and glued their beaks shut..

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
KMS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[quote=ol_mike]Also put firecrackers up their ass and glued their beaks shut.. [/quote
I hear that's how serial killers start out. crazy

Last edited by KMS; 10/19/09.

Kelly
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
as a kid we used to do dumb sick things... alka seltzer to seagulls and so on... I never did but I saw it done.

But for an adult to do things like that is ridiculous IMHO.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not sure if they would attack or not. That is one reason I like to carry my Surefire G2 LED with me when I'm going into or out of the woods in the dark. It's bright as hell, and if nothing else strobing it should at least confuse the hell out of them.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
My grandpa had one for a pet and the SOB turned on him and damn near bit his finger off.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Will coyotes attack being the question I'd say not normally.
I think there are about four reasons that a normally non-agressive toward humans animal will attack.

Now I will be the first to say I know very little to none about bears and mountain lions so some that does can take that up. I am talking about coyotes, deer, coons, bob cats, hogs stuff like that.

*1 Rabies- or distemper in coons often mistaken for rabies. Enough said.

2 The animal thinks it is trapped and can not get away.

3 The animal is human habituated and has no natural fear of humans left. IMO the most dangerous animal in the world is a pet buck deer. Does are not quite as bad but they still "play" pretty damn rough. I would imagine elk would be about the same.

4 You have hurt or surprised it at close range and it really doesn't know what you are.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most of the mountain lion attacks I have herd of or read about were a result of the animal being in poor health (starving) and seeing a person as an "easy target". I would think a coyote being a hunter/scavanger would certenly take advantage of you if it saw you as an "easy target" and hadent eaten in a while. For instance if you had broken your leg/arm or were bleading you might be preceived as a wounded food source. However I do think that humans are way too big of a target for a single coyote.

Last edited by 270LightningBLR; 10/20/09.

A lap dance is sooooo much better when the stripper is crying
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by KMS
[quote=ol_mike]Also put firecrackers up their ass and glued their beaks shut.. [/quote
I hear that's how serial killers start out. crazy

--------------------------------------------------------------

The second part was sarcasm and the wing breaking was in the late 80's.
I have seen crows peck newborn lambs eyes out -wreck songbird nest etc. do i give a crap about a crow -hell no.

Posted by Bristoe
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My hunting places are full of coyotes. I have never felt they were any kind of a threat to me. I have had them stalk me when I was calling spring turkey. I also had two chase my pointer during a quail hunt. She ran back to me with both coyotes on her tail and almost knocked me down when she ran between my legs. The coyotes never noticed me until I gave them both barrels of bird shot full in the face.

After that experience, I would never consider taking a dog into bear country.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I dunno, kind of makes me think having a dog might be a very good thing in bear country.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Glad I didn't read this before having one slither by me within 30 yards two mornings ago.

Murphy was a grunt.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
another thing that could help promote an attack would be if you were useing any one of the deer scent products and you smelled more like a hot doe than a human. don't know for sure but i would think it might make them more interested in you for a while anyway. just a guess on my part.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'll never get over the first time I tried calling a deer. I was in some vine maples that had dropped their leaves and these were like dry corn flakes. Well, I blew the call and immediately I hear this pitter pat of something coming towards me...gotta be a big buck because I'm calling deer, right? By the time it got to where I could see it, it was about 30 feet away and it was a coyote. Scared the chit out of me so bad I missed it twice before it left.
Fast forward about 20 years and 200 miles and I'm about to dispatch a wounded coyote with a jack handle---got to save the hide. It leaped for my throat but was in too bad of shape to make it, so I backed off and shot it again. Scared the chit out of me. I'll never do that again.
In all fairness to the coyote, I didn't actually "back off" in the truest sense...more like I fell backwards while I thought I was being murdered by a bloody coyote and I may not have been on my most distinguished behavior for a few seconds there...

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
The Lake Tahoe area near my home has had several threats and out right attacks by them. Most of the locals up there are dead set against anyone shooting anything, even to defend themselves, or so it seems.
People have been threatned for shooting things like bears and coyotes, even in self defense.
They lost their commerical airport's operations license because they would not control the coyotes running around on the runway.
Even better, try Sonoma County. They have decreed that coyotes are endangered and forbid shooting them any where, for any reason, in the county.
Welcome to Kalifornia. E

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Daveman
Question: would a pack of coyotes attack a hunter walking alone at dark?

Apparently (though not a hunter, and not dark). http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33509516/ns/world_news-americas/

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1minute, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,392 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,319
Posts18,468,418
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.