Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Y
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Y
As an outdoorsman, excluding Alaska, what western state would you most like to live in? And Why?

Here are my primary interests: Hunting- all types of big game and predators, Fishing- mostly trout, steelhead and salmon via flyrod or regular rod and reel, Hiking, Camping. In that order. Take into account season lengths, regulations, license costs, draw-odds, pressure, driving distance to other good states to hunt and fish.

Also, since I'm wondering the best place to live, consider weather, population (I want to be away from people but within driving distance to some of life's conveniences), economy (tough one I know), raising a family, cost of living, freedoms (such as 2nd amendment).

Your interests or circumstances will, I'm sure, vary from my own, but if you could live in any state, what would it be?

BP-B2

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
everyone will say "live in my state" (if they like you) grin

think about living in easy driving distance to multiple locales.

I routinely put in for / hunt in 5-6 states, all within a 6 hour drive of my home. (I can drive to NW Montana or the Mexican border in a day).

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
A place with good hunting has no economy.

Name your poison.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Idaho sux, you dont wanna be here. Bad huntin, bad fshin, cold and windy........

If fishing was primary I would pick Western Wa.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Brother, you got that right. No one in his right mind would live in Idaho.

I'm thinking of moving back to California.

(Okay, really, I didn't come here from California. That was a joke. Really, put down the rope, it was just a joke...)

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BMT
A place with good hunting has no economy.

Name your poison.

BMT

And there's the crux. I took a 45% pay cut to move to Idaho after searching for 12 years for something here in my field.

To be honest, it was worth every penny I didn't make.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
, excluding Alaska,

I'm out!

See sig line.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Y
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Y
I hate to tell you guys but Idaho might be at the top of my list. My pay here in MI, or at least the amount of work I have, has been cut to 1/10 what it was so I don't care to make a fortune, but I am into eating every day.

UtahLefty, along your train of thought, I was thinking northern Utah or Idaho (Boise area) is kind of in the middle of a lot of cool states. I just wonder if there are huge benefits to being a resident of a certain one.

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
Northern Utah is prettier than Southern ID. wink

Y
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Y
ironbender, I have been wanting to go to Alaska for some time, I just think my wife could not handle it. She found out about the darkness in winter, not to mention the temps and length of winter, coupled with the distance away from family, I will have to settle for the next best state, hence the question.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
NE Utah around Logan is definitely prettier than Southwestern Idaho unless you really like sage brush.

Plus, in Utah they give you two wives... laugh

Okay, tongue firmly out of cheek. Boise has decent economic opportunity but our two main employers, Micron and Hewlett Packard, are just as affected by the economy as every one else, so for right now jobs are scarce. Since a lot of the jobs here were building houses for newcomers the building trades are really hurting. It's still a great city (shhh, please don't tell anyone) but with the growth spurt those that knew it even 15 years ago think it sucks now.

Yeah, 6 years ago I added to the overcrowding with my own self. But I had to move here when the little town where I used to live (Fruitland on the Oregon border) ran out of jobs for computer guys. And I went through three jobs over there with all three companies moving away or going belly up. See BMT's statment again.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One bonus in Utah is you can go salt water fishin.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

I thought that in Southern Utah you get like, 4-5 wives??
whistle

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
She found out about the darkness in winter, not to mention the temps and length of winter, coupled with the distance away from family, I will have to settle for the next best state, hence the question.

stay out of Montana then....in all reality pretty much all of Montana in the winter is colder than southeast Alaska....but its a dry cold grin think Steelhead said he only saw a handful of days below zero while in Alaska....we will have that before December 1st....but as i said its a dry cold and contrary to what ppl from warmer climates think you can work up a sweat shoveling snow in -30 grin

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

They don't give them to you. You have to recruit them yourself.

I live in Utah, and like it a lot. The climate is pretty comfortable, and the local economy is good. But the hunting is actually not that great. There are just too many people who want big game tags. OTH, it's easy to commute from here to places that have the outdoor stuff you like. (Great trout fishing on the Snake River, 3 hours; pronghorn hunting in Wyoming, about 2-3 hours; Yellowstone Park, 4 hours)

You might check out the north end of Cache Valley here in Utah, north of Logan. It's quite a pretty spot, and Idaho is only a few miles away. It's closer to all the things listed above.

I'd second the idea of looking at the Boise Idaho area. You're very close to good opportunities in three states. The climate isn't quite as nice is central Utah, but still very good. The local college has a dang good football team, and that's fun to watch.

Another good location is around Rexburg Idaho. That's the east end of the Snake River Valley. It's a pretty spot, with close access to the Yellowstone and Teton areas. Rexburg itself has a very decent climate, but colder than Boise, with a tendency toward wind. If you go east from there, you're gaining elevation rapidly, and the winters become more harsh. It's a college town, and that brings a lot of good things with it.

Also take a look at the Richland Washington area. I've done some work there. It's a growing area, with lots of outdoor opportunities.

Be not weary in well doing.
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Originally Posted by UtahLefty
The problem with Utah is that it's Utah, and that's tha same problem with most of Idaho outside of Boise. MMMMMMMMMormmmmmmans. As a rule they are very nice (on the surface), and also very clickish (prefer their Ward and Stake pals) and very little fun to be around. (they don't even know they are a mysogenistic cult!)

and never take a Mormon fishing. If your gonna take one, then always take two.

the bottle was dusty but the liquor was clean...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not here!

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Idaho...no question. Been toying with moving somewhere around Mountain Home for a while. Gonna do it while I am young and agile so I can enjoy it.

...new laws were most numerous when the commonwealth was most corrupt. ~ Publius Cornelius Tacitus
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Idaho is still good (I have been here 30 years) but the hunting opportunities aren't what they once were(especially for us elk hunters) due in part to the wolf problems.
frown

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by UtahLefty

Southern Idaho is just sagebrush, rocks and desert! Now, if you get up to Stanley, you are into beautiful country!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
675 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 75 invisible), 2,744 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,640
Posts18,399,000
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.